PDA

View Full Version : Speed up drying?

dongle69
10-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Can drying be sped up by using heat and low humidity?
I know with buds this can make the smoke harsh, but what about with bubble?
Can I put the bubble on cardboard and put it in the oven at a low temp to thoroughly dry it?

LostCoaster
10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
You could put the hash onto a screen of a dehydrator on low, with cardboard above and below so that the hash doesn't blow away. Just keep the temps low, under 120 f.

oldmanmozz
10-21-2008, 07:31 AM
if you put on cardbrd an in freezer, the water comes to surface an cardbrd acts as desicant an gets rid moisture.
on saying that i normally crumble as fine as can, and under grow lights for couple hours on cardbrd/beer coasters (which i steal from local pub)

cheers mozz

Green Supreme
10-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I put mine in the ballast room over night. I suppose its not that big a deal. I personally wouldn't let the temp go above 100 degrees f. I'm sure this will evaporate some terps though. Good luck. Peace GS

ps. patience makes for a nicer smoking experience. better feeling of accomplishment

dongle69
10-24-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm asking if drying time affects the smoke like with buds.
Also, how will I know when it is really dry?

fullmeltbubble
10-24-2008, 02:07 AM
freezing wet hash is not a good way to dry it....and yes dongle...the way you dry and process the hash surely effects the smoke...the longer you let the hash dry. cure...the better the end smoke will be....same thing as the plant...

BudaLuva555
10-24-2008, 03:24 AM
you will know that the Buds are dry when the stem snaps NOT bends...

jimbroker
10-28-2008, 04:28 AM
I have a nice trick for speeding up the drying of bud. You need a sealed room or compartment. I use my dishwasher.

Get a product called "damp-rid" at your local hardware store.It contains Calcium Chloride (Ca.Cl)... a very hygroscopic (i.e. water absorbing) salt. I personally use the big bucket version that they have. I remove the paper seal that they put on the bucket to allow the Ca.Cl salt to much more quickly absorb the moisture. I would suggest doing this incrementally.. tear a little bit back at a time until you completely have it removed. I run a fan that circulates air across my buds and than over the Ca.Cl. You will eventually have to break up the salt because it forms into a hard solid compound in combination with the water. Breaking it up allows the Ca.Cl pellets on the bottom access to the air. You should be moderately careful with the compound... it will dry out your skin but if you get some on you just rinse it off. Though I would not suggest eating it due to the fact that it will burn you internally because of its exothermic reaction with water, its not any more toxic than table salt and in fact they use it on the roads during the winter time because it is less harmful to plants than NaCl.

Using this method and a fan to circulate air onto the buds I can get perfectly dried, stem-snapping bud in a matter of days as opposed to weeks. It will not affect the taste of the bud because its not actually making any kind of contact with the bud. The reaction with the Ca.Cl is exothermic so it does get a bit warm in tight spaces.. but not more than 10 Fahrenheit or so.

I know you were asking about drying the water hash but I figured I would pass this tip on in this thread!

dongle69
10-28-2008, 05:43 AM
...the way you dry and process the hash surely effects the smoke...the longer you let the hash dry. cure...the better the end smoke will be....same thing as the plant...

Thanks, for some reason I thought it wouldn't matter how quick the hash dried.
I'm still not exactly sure when dry is dry.
Will it get "dusty" and then I ball it up?
Or will it always stay a little gooey?

fulltiltbubble
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I always think about using a blowdryer or the oven but i never do it, i just let it sit under a grow light, or sometimes i just let it sit.

JaxPharmacy
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
i used a heat gun on one batch, it worked but i think it affected the quality cause it didnt quite produce the same effects.

bubblecrack
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
lol some ridiculous ideas for drying hash here....

just take a paper towel, wrap it around your bubble and apply pressure until the moisture squeezes out onto the paper towel. it says on the goddamn instructions....wtf people...

JaxPharmacy
06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
^ well thats the obvious way, maybe these people wanted alternatives that might be faster or less labor intensive. I dont think the ideas are ridiculous, ridiculous would be microwaving the hash or using a industrial steamroller or weather balloons to get the hash closer to the sun

bubblecrack
06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
^ well thats the obvious way, maybe these people wanted alternatives that might be faster or less labor intensive. I dont think the ideas are ridiculous, ridiculous would be microwaving the hash or using a industrial steamroller or weather balloons to get the hash closer to the sun

you can smoke it right after and it takes less than 30 seconds. i dont see how you can get much faster or simpler than that....no labor required..

dongle69
06-08-2009, 07:54 PM
lol some ridiculous ideas for drying hash here....

just take a paper towel, wrap it around your bubble and apply pressure until the moisture squeezes out onto the paper towel. it says on the goddamn instructions....wtf people...

My instructions (my goddamn instructions) made no mention of a paper towel.
Seems like the bubble would stick to the paper towel?
Sounds like you need to smoke some bubblecrack.

JaxPharmacy
06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
maybe a paper towel out the side of a pressing screen ? thats what ive been doing and it works good...

but once again, doesnt hash takes several days to dry properly and even longer to "cure"...of course you could smoke it immediately, if you REALLY needed too...hell you could smoke a fresh picked bud off a tree if you really wanted too...
i am trying to execise a little discipline and let it dry for at least a week...we'll see if that works.

hash is like fine wine.....at least IMO

bubblecrack
06-10-2009, 12:31 AM
maybe a paper towel out the side of a pressing screen ? thats what ive been doing and it works good...

but once again, doesnt hash takes several days to dry properly and even longer to "cure"...of course you could smoke it immediately, if you REALLY needed too...hell you could smoke a fresh picked bud off a tree if you really wanted too...
i am trying to execise a little discipline and let it dry for at least a week...we'll see if that works.

hash is like fine wine.....at least IMO

ya thats what youre suppose to do. wrap a paper towel around your freshly made bubble from the outside of your bag so the paper towel doesn't touch the hash directly then squeeze until the juice is out. you can continue to squeeze the moisture out with a paper towel afterwards just dont use a napkin..the fibers will stick to the hash its alot diff than using a paper towel. I usually just squeeze as much moisture as i can from outside the bag and then leave the hash fully exposed to the air and it is dried the next day. you can tell when its ready by the color it turns

DrBudGreengenes
06-10-2009, 01:43 AM
I have a nice trick for speeding up the drying of bud. You need a sealed room or compartment. I use my dishwasher.

Get a product called "damp-rid" at your local hardware store.It contains Calcium Chloride (Ca.Cl)... a very hygroscopic (i.e. water absorbing) salt. I personally use the big bucket version that they have. I remove the paper seal that they put on the bucket to allow the Ca.Cl salt to much more quickly absorb the moisture. I would suggest doing this incrementally.. tear a little bit back at a time until you completely have it removed. I run a fan that circulates air across my buds and than over the Ca.Cl. You will eventually have to break up the salt because it forms into a hard solid compound in combination with the water. Breaking it up allows the Ca.Cl pellets on the bottom access to the air. You should be moderately careful with the compound... it will dry out your skin but if you get some on you just rinse it off. Though I would not suggest eating it due to the fact that it will burn you internally because of its exothermic reaction with water, its not any more toxic than table salt and in fact they use it on the roads during the winter time because it is less harmful to plants than NaCl.

Using this method and a fan to circulate air onto the buds I can get perfectly dried, stem-snapping bud in a matter of days as opposed to weeks. It will not affect the taste of the bud because its not actually making any kind of contact with the bud. The reaction with the Ca.Cl is exothermic so it does get a bit warm in tight spaces.. but not more than 10 Fahrenheit or so.

I know you were asking about drying the water hash but I figured I would pass this tip on in this thread!

That is an excellent way to dry
Mushrooms
Sounds like a Big waste of time and ....
My Dishwasher?
For drying Budz

U must only need to dry a Oz or two every few months?
Where do the dishes go for a "Few" days?
and also...
How were U drying budz for "Weeks"?
and not ending w/ a Moldy mess?

DNRDustin
06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
That is an excellent way to dry

Mushrooms
Sounds like a Big waste of time and ....
My Dishwasher?
For drying Budz

U must only need to dry a Oz or two every few months?
Where do the dishes go for a "Few" days?
and also...
How were U drying budz for "Weeks"?

and not ending w/ a Moldy mess?

the damp rid pulls damn near all the moisture outa the air and swells. i used a similar method once. buds were dry in 4 days. to much chlorophil:sick1: ack nasty! take the time to do it right, or else its just a waste of time imo.

bubblecrack
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
tried this directly touching the hash with "paper towels" from the foodbank last night. if this crap works for it you shouldn't have a problem with real paper towels. also did it with a rolling paper but i wouldn't recommend it unless your hash is mostly dried and it is a high quality paper (smoking, rizla, raw, etc) it leaves a nice coat of hash substance on your paper

Bongwater420
06-16-2009, 06:36 AM
lol i dry my buds in 2 hours it is so dry in my room ac on high room is around 13 degres all day every day maybe a dehumidifier on low with the bubble on top

AlexParadis
04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
i prefer a freezer to a oven or room temp because according to r.c.Clarke some terpens's flash point is as low as -10 ºc so i'll be more with a methode that use low temperature