PDA

View Full Version : Are Roors THAT good...?

johnnyballbag
11-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm still kinda new to the gong scene. Seems everyone agrees that Roor makes a top notch tube. Actually I've seen countless people saying that Roor makes THEE best tube. So what i wanna know is...how do they stack up against a Toro, or an SG tube? I've always been more inclined to give my money to the little guy, not the big company. Not to say I wouldn't own a Roor, it's just that with me not having experience with them, maybe i've been a little biased, favoring work done by smaller companies. I'm just curious on every point; not just build quality, but functionality and overall hit quality too. What do you guys think?

alteredreality
11-29-2008, 07:07 PM
They are, particularly .des or if you like percs the US chamber tubes, particularly the old 3 arms.

545 german Icemaster is probably my favorite overall tube, followed by a 24" straight roor double chamber.

aqualungs
11-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a .de black label Icemaster. Love it, almost a year old now. Gotta get a diffuser to go with it though for sure. And whrough and a/c of some kind on her as well, then your dreamin'!:bong1:

Green Supreme
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
For the uncompromising smoker. Peace GS

jjblaze
11-29-2008, 11:06 PM
hurrricane is the best. it feels like you are just breathing.

alteredreality
11-30-2008, 12:45 AM
That's the problem with it for me lol...airy diluted tasteless hit imo

etarip
11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
IMHO Toro and Sovreingty are both on par if not superior to american rooRs, all three are top notch high quality companies that will give you a great product.
I also like the idea of suporting the smaller (mom&pop) american companies like SG&Toro.
If you want the absolute best, thats when u go with a German RooRs.

again, just my opinion. :)

ashesandglass
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
personally i would rock the Oregon made DC tubes from my main man Darby Holm. Theyre strait or beaker, 5-9 mil thick, and variety of heights and colors for your diffy/bowl. Plus you get to rock glass by the pimpMasterOldschool Darby! just my opinion. oh and if you know him (or me for that matter) you can pretty much get whatever you want on the thing.

johnnyballbag
11-30-2008, 09:11 PM
IMHO Toro and Sovreingty are both on par if not superior to american rooRs, all three are top notch high quality companies that will give you a great product.
I also like the idea of suporting the smaller (mom&pop) american companies like SG&Toro.
If you want the absolute best, thats when u go with a German RooRs.

again, just my opinion. :)

Thanks man, exactly what i was lookin for.

ashesandglass
12-01-2008, 01:56 AM
i happen to see first hand where the money goes to and the beauty it creates in darby's family, soul shine family, banjo family and others and i would say that is the most important thing to consider when purchasing a tube. sure you can go grab any tube at the store, but really it matters where that money is going, and it should not stack up in the pocket of a chain distributor who is tripling prices based on an overrated reputation.

Green Supreme
12-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Ashes I can't help but be curious as to how many de Roors you have puffed from. I have yet to encounter one that smokes poorly and am still willing to look for one. Peace GS

johnnyballbag
12-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Ashes I can't help but be curious as to how many de Roors you have puffed from. I have yet to encounter one that smokes poorly and am still willing to look for one. Peace GS

I don't think he was saying anything bad about Roor tubes (as i wasn't trying to imply they're not good in any way either). I think he was just agreeing about giving your money to the small individually owned companies. The one reason i'm leaning that way is because German roors are supposed to be top notch, but for that kind of money they don't seem to be doing anything different, pushing the bar, or making anything other than a plain tube. All be it high quality, but not very "modern" i guess. Maybe i just need to try a DE out and see for myself. :pipe:

Green Supreme
12-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Well if its ok with you its ok with me. Just that it seemed you started the thread asking about Roors not about how affordable Oregon bongs were. Peace GS

ps. although Roors can be very pricey one can still get a decent bong for around $200 and for big hits with less air check out the pocket Roor

Razz
12-01-2008, 03:54 AM
the u.s. roor rips just as nice as the de roor. you can have a glass on glass tube, made by lots of great glass blowers, and i'm sure they will rip just as nice. after the 3rd rip you're not gonna give a shit anyway! but i guess it's the social status of having a "roor" label stuck on the tube. but i have broken my roor and sent it to roor usa and the did a fantastic job repairing it. i cant even tell it was broken. if you buy a tube from somewhere else, will you be able to get it repaired as easily?

linsen
12-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Roor USA will repair any tube as long as it is repairable, and DE diffies are noticeably better than US ones. There are some QC issues with roor, but most likely substantially less than a cheaper brand of tube

Razz
12-01-2008, 03:58 AM
how are they noticeably better? and which quality control issues are you refering to?

johnnyballbag
12-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Yeah you have a point Razz. Just thought it'd be an easier ordeal to send it to a "guy" in the US than to send it to a company, especially if it's in another country.

YukonBikerGuy
12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Some of the major differences between the US and DE RooR tubes are:

1. the angle of placement of the downstem is different; with the DE tubes, the downstem is right down into the corner of the tube, not so much with the US ones.

2. The DE diffusers are different, pierced holes as opposed to d-cut slits. IMO these DE diffys make the hit the smoothest.

3. The joints on the DE tubes are near invisible. You cant see where the glass was joined.

4. DE tubes have not so far come with percs, they are working on them, but for several reasons have not released the designs to production yet. If you want a perc'd Roor, its gotta be a US.

Some may call the DE tubes plain, others clean and functional design. The major difference between the approach of US vs DE RooRs, is that the DE Roor makers are perfectionists, wanting to put out the highest quality bongs. US Roor wants to sell as many RooRs as possible and so concentrates more on mass production.

All of this IMO only, take or leave it as you like.

Puff puff pass.

Razz
12-01-2008, 11:25 PM
i was looking more for a factual answer, not an opinionated response. but thank you ybg, all good points to ponder on after the 3rd bong rip! haha

ghib
12-02-2008, 01:49 AM
honalee/us tubes are another small us made tube company with very high quality

i'm pretty sure roor.us doesn't have d-cut diffusors any more, they have holes like roor.de, just not as many holes.

YukonBikerGuy
12-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Well the 4 points are factual, the blah blah at the end was IMO... I think.... 3 bong rips? Well I been hitting this new LUX I picked up in Amsterdam, but I think I'm 12 or 15 rips deep now, wheeeeee! So good to be home to my own stuff :)

PS. Ah, didnt know that US had switched diffy design, thx fer the info update.

Razz
12-02-2008, 04:03 AM
welcome home, ybg. glad to see you puffin tuff!

vodkamartiny12
12-02-2008, 04:24 AM
RooR tubes can also be more desirable in cases where one can say RooR keeps it simple by creating straight tubes and only ice notches, they do not in a essence tempt fate by one hand saying that Kind Herbs are harmless and the other creating advanced tubes to defy the harmlessness of Marijuana smoke.

I know my theory is kind of primitive but at the core for reasons, the basicness of RooR keeps it simple yet advanced in ways not noticeable to the naked eye, but noticeable on a Higher<<LOL>>level if you know what i mean.

Just my personal thoughts

Vodka

Razz
12-02-2008, 04:32 AM
all i know is this. i went to san diego with my roor and a fuckload of tennessee dry sift, and roored all my friends out of their minds. i left then some drysift when i left, however i did not leave my roor. so they puffed out of their respective recepticles, bongs that is. so i return 21 days later with more dry sift and the roor, same sift, same roor. after a couple of hits "BING!" THEIR BELL GOT RUNG BAD! they were like " dude that roor is the shit daddy." they've never been higher since high school. so that particular experiment on my lab rats showed the devastating power of the roor. one of my friends was almost hallucinating. yeah, poor him!

Bubbleman
12-02-2008, 05:25 AM
I sure love em thats for sure.
I smoked out of a few different types of bongs while in amsterdam this last trip, and have to say i kept going back to my roor.
And after hanging out with Martin from Roor, i can honestly say he is as much a mom and pop operation as the next guy , in fact it truly is a family business as his son also blows for roor.
They are by no means some multi national glass company.
In the end what ever glass you like is the glass you use, and that can't be wrong.
enjoy what ever piece your hitting,
And if its a roor your looking for, pick one from here...http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1029cropped.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1030cropped.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1036cropped.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1037cropped.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1038cropped.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1043cropped.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1039cropped.jpg

peace
Bubble man

Razz
12-02-2008, 05:26 AM
yeah, that's what i like to hear! welcome back! i cant wait to take a rip out of that one!

YukonBikerGuy
12-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I was lucky enough to spend a little time talking with Martin while we and Hashbean were on the way to the RooR shop for the raffle at 4:20pm. Very nice and personable fellow, with genuine concern for the quality of his products. Laslo was also there a few times, and is also a great guy. RooR.de a small company with only a few guys working there, and I personaly love the glassware they produce.

My new Roors should be shipped out of Amsterdam tomorrow, till they arrive, I will be hitting my lovely new LUX that came back in my suitcase. I have smoked this tube in coffeeshops all over Amsterdam, with many online friends I have now met in person. In 1 week I smoked more types of hash through this tube than I have smoked in the last year. Combined with the RooR bent hash bowl, the hits are very nice. Will add a pic later....
Here is the pic:
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/5/1/6/IMG_0302for-web.jpg

johnnyballbag
12-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Very well put bman. Oh yeah, and thanks for throwing that little comment in, haha. "And if its a roor you're lookin for, pick one from here." Those are some epic tubes there! Loving that beaker on the right.

dezhammer16
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
.de are hands down the cleanest tubes on the market. toro makes a damn fine tube that is nearly flawless but i just think their labels are hideous looking. (besides the small horizontal one) i've never seen an sg in person but have heard nothing but good things. toro and sg are leading the perc game right now, but i'm not much of a double chamber person.

soooo... 545 roor.de icemaster for the win!

iheartpercs
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
IMO Roor is not the best tube there is out there. It is CERTAINLY one of the top tubes you can get but i have one, along with a couple other really nice tubes i think and i woudlnt say it's the best; I have a us roor 7 mm thick beaker roor a/c and diffused downstem. The roor is very thick at 7 mm with pretty thick joints and it really rips, however although i like it alot, and rorr alot for that matter it doesnt touch my toro 8 arm perc with trash catcher and ice pnich slide; it isnt even close. Granted my toro has much more power with the 8 arm perc and the 8 arm trash catcher, the price wasnt much more than the roor AND my roor as well as many others i have seen dont even come with a diffused downstem which is absurd. I just picked up the illadelph glycerin coil as well and got an illadelph a/c with it; this is right up there with the toro but it was definitely a good amount pricier but this gong is the truth. I know ive seen on here and some other places that illadelphs get a bad rep for some reason but i am in love with this tube and the glass is sooooo thick on the beaker and after the cpil is rediculous. only problem is i dont like the joint so much not that heavy.. all in all i would say between price and quality of piece, at least out of what i have collected/tried: toro is at the top

YukonBikerGuy
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Try a DE RooR, not a US RooR, there is a difference.

I so want some Illidelph stuff too...... and Toro, and SG, and DC, very nice products.
My new DNA Gentics LUX tube with a 4-arm tree perc, slotted dome splash guard and ice notches hits great too.
For sure gonna get a Herborizor tube as well, very nice hits.

I'm a GonG lover, can you tell? So far, the diffused DE Roor is still the smoothest I have smoked on, once I get my Toro and Illadelph and Herborizor and SG and DC pieces, I am all about a side-by-side hit comparison.... Thank you iheartpercs for inspiring a new dream :)

iheartpercs
12-02-2008, 06:42 PM
for sure! side by side comparisons are great. SG is next on my list...

Bubbleman
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
My next tube will be A FYC from marbleslinger/jp.
Not sure when its coming, but its on order. whoo hooo.

Bubble man

after that i hope to see a jasonlee/roor collab, now wouldnt that be something.
In fact i would love to see ROor Germany do all sorts of collabs with different american artists, i think joining forces is a much better vibe than going toe to toe.
just my two cents....

Bubble man

blackandgoldpride
12-02-2008, 09:53 PM
That sounds like a pretty amazing FYC collab. They take custom orders?

YukonBikerGuy
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Yes, FYC is also on my list, so much glass.... need more money :)

etarip
12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
In fact i would love to see ROor Germany do all sorts of collabs with different american artists

Bubble man

Yes, would be amazing :)

hashcat
12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
That sounds like a pretty amazing FYC collab. They take custom orders?

ha i wonder the same thing, probably not though. but then again if your bubbleman im sure theyd start a list for just for you:sick1:

vodkamartiny12
12-07-2008, 01:03 AM
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_1039cropped.jpg

that should answer your question:pipe:

alteredreality
12-09-2008, 01:26 AM
after that i hope to see a jasonlee/roor collab, now wouldnt that be something.
In fact i would love to see ROor Germany do all sorts of collabs with different american artists, i think joining forces is a much better vibe than going toe to toe.
just my two cents....

Also hearing rumors of an upcoming Roor.us collab with one Scott Deppe :pipe:

J Lee/roor.de collab would be insane as well-I totally agree with you about .de collabing with American headdie blowers.

dezhammer16
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
i heard deppe is at roor too. personally i'd rather see him work with toro and NOT do percs... i think it'd turn out to be a nicer tube. roor.us is blah in my opinon, they can't put joints on straight, and i'd rather have jp assemble my tube that scott deppe worked rather than some in house roor artist making 11 bucks an hour.

dezhammer16
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM
dezhammer US is not the only Roor company

really? ya think... maybe you should review my first post in this thread buddy.

Green Supreme
12-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry I removed my post as not to offend any others. Didn't realize you were just saying the same things you already said. Peace GS

Razz
12-11-2008, 12:39 AM
so... we're done with this thread?