PDA

View Full Version : Dried trim first time run scenario & questions

X-1
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Hello everyone,
I just got the 5 gallon 8 bag kit a couple weeks ago and have been reading up on some threads in preparation for my first run. I have about 70 grams of dried leaf / trim, plus some stems I've saved up. This is from a plant that was harvested 8 weeks ago and the trim is all dry. The bud I've smoked from the plant is excellent, so I'm hoping for good results from this trim.
I read a post about processing dried trim and noted that you have to do things a little differently when dealing with dry material. I also read about someone getting to the last bags only to find no bubble, and I don't want to experience that just because I didn't process it correctly.
I'd like some of you experts to review the steps I'm planning to take, and respond to let me know if my plan should work. I have some questions along the way if you could answer them too, I'd really appreciate it. Here's how I'm planning to do the first run at this point:
1. Freeze the trim, stems, and the 5 gal bucket for 12-24hrs before hand
2.Add ice cold water to bucket above screen level of bags
3.Place trim into the water
4.Add enough ice to cover over the trim and them some
5.Allow it to sit for 15 minutes
6.Afte letting it sit for 15 minutes, stir quickly with a large mixing spoon by hand for 15 minutes. Questions: How long should it take to start seeing bubbles? If it doesn’t start to make bubbles when stirring by hand, should I start using an electric mixer to generate the bubbles?
7.Let it sit for 30 minutes
8.Pull out first bag and allow it to drain into remaining bags. Save the plant material to re-run it.
9.Pull the second bag and allow it to drain into remaining bags
10.Pull the remaining bags, allowing them to drain and saving the extract using the bowl method. The extract from different bags is saved in separate labeled piles on the pressing screen.
For the second and third to last bags, wash the bags inside the water of the remaining bag.
11.For the last bag, use the cinch and jerk method to quickly drain the bag.
12.Place the pressing screen on a dry towel and cover it with a dry towel. Roll over the towel gently with a wooden rolling pin.
13.Remove towel, open pressing screen and break apart resins onto clean thick cardboard. Separate resin into labeled piles on clean thick cardboard and break up the piles for even drying.
14. Place cardboard in dark, dry place. Questions, will the resin have much of an odor when drying?
If I want to run the plant material again, do I do it while it is still wet, or wait for it to dry, then run it again?
I think that pretty much covers it and I appreciate any help before I do this run.
X-1

Bubbleman
12-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey there X-1 you should be good to go. those are pretty much the instructions for running a succesful batch.As for running a second batch you can run it right thru the bags again> just dont mix the grades with your first batch.
Am fresh back from amsterdamm, and am still slightly jetlagged, will reread thru your thread again and answer more later.

peace
Bubble man

YukonBikerGuy
12-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Also jet-lagged, same flight as Bubbleman, but:

I also think that #12 is a bit much. IMHO, 'pressing screen' is a misnomer that throws people off. You really shouldnt press it at all with the towel and rolling pin, the wet patties sitting on top of the pressing screen, will leech enuff water through to the dry towel underneath (or if you must , gently fold the screen over onto the piles and lay more dry towel over, but I still wouldnt press it at all) to be just the right consitency to chop up into a fine powder to dry on the cardboard, if you press it the best you will do is smallish chunks. I use paper towel myself, over and under the 'dabbing screen' as I've named it, which seems excellent at wicking the water away from the patties on the screen.

Odors and timing of them appearing seem to be strain specific, but in my experience wet bubblehash smells very little. Once its completely dry and starts to cure, then the smells develop a bit more.

Hope this makes sence and helps some.

smokiyee
12-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Hello everyone,
I just got the 5 gallon 8 bag kit a couple weeks ago and have been reading up on some threads in preparation for my first run. I have about 70 grams of dried leaf / trim, plus some stems I've saved up. This is from a plant that was harvested 8 weeks ago and the trim is all dry. The bud I've smoked from the plant is excellent, so I'm hoping for good results from this trim.
I read a post about processing dried trim and noted that you have to do things a little differently when dealing with dry material. I also read about someone getting to the last bags only to find no bubble, and I don't want to experience that just because I didn't process it correctly.
I'd like some of you experts to review the steps I'm planning to take, and respond to let me know if my plan should work. I have some questions along the way if you could answer them too, I'd really appreciate it. Here's how I'm planning to do the first run at this point:
1. Freeze the trim, stems, and the 5 gal bucket for 12-24hrs before hand
2.Add ice cold water to bucket above screen level of bags
3.Place trim into the water
4.Add enough ice to cover over the trim and them some
5.Allow it to sit for 15 minutes
6.Afte letting it sit for 15 minutes, stir quickly with a large mixing spoon by hand for 15 minutes. Questions: How long should it take to start seeing bubbles? If it doesn’t start to make bubbles when stirring by hand, should I start using an electric mixer to generate the bubbles?
7.Let it sit for 30 minutes
8.Pull out first bag and allow it to drain into remaining bags. Save the plant material to re-run it.
9.Pull the second bag and allow it to drain into remaining bags
10.Pull the remaining bags, allowing them to drain and saving the extract using the bowl method. The extract from different bags is saved in separate labeled piles on the pressing screen.
For the second and third to last bags, wash the bags inside the water of the remaining bag.
11.For the last bag, use the cinch and jerk method to quickly drain the bag.
12.Place the pressing screen on a dry towel and cover it with a dry towel. Roll over the towel gently with a wooden rolling pin.
13.Remove towel, open pressing screen and break apart resins onto clean thick cardboard. Separate resin into labeled piles on clean thick cardboard and break up the piles for even drying.
14. Place cardboard in dark, dry place. Questions, will the resin have much of an odor when drying?
If I want to run the plant material again, do I do it while it is still wet, or wait for it to dry, then run it again?
I think that pretty much covers it and I appreciate any help before I do this run.
X-1
1. Made me laugh, thanks. No need to freeze the bucket. You could get the water close to freezing, that helps if you have a big full size freezer.
2. Perfect.
3.Looks good, I put a layer of ice after the water before I put the trim in. Get that water freezing cold. Then I put trim on top of ice, add a little more water, maybe top off on ice again, done.
4.Looks good, add a little water if necessary.
5.I let my mash sit for 30, I'm sure 15 is fine.
6.At this point, this is where the fun begins. Stirring by hand is a PITA, but it's so worth it. Eventually, you get used to it, I did 19 total washes, so shoulders were good and numb after awhile. I stirred my mix for about 12-13 minutes, let sit for 30. Try to stir circular, and side to side, almost in a Z formation. I'd say circular(clockwise counter-clockwise...etc.) works AWESOME. Both ways should stir up the bubbles quickly and efficiently. Don't use a mixer, honestly, it goes faster than u think. I'd look at the clock and seven minutes go by Quick!! Only a few more to go. Don't worry about it not bubbling, IT WILL.
7.Perfect.
8.Good to Go!!
9.Yup, then wash that bag(blue and green I wash with hose, nothing worth keeping in there) out with that crappy hash, don't put it back in the bucket.
10.The salad bowl trick is the way to go for sure. Easy to use and stretches the screen perfect. I would keep everything from the red bag(160) on down. You can clean the red bag into the 120, or not, it's up to you on how the hash looks in that particular bag. I got a Great amount out of the Orange 120 bag(120 and 45 did Awesome for my strain). The orange 120 bag is a cool bag, but the last 4 are the best. I didn't get much out of the black 90 bag, but I did get some everytime. The best way to drain the bags is to grip the bag with a fist(I gripped the bag without cinching it up, almost to the water level, just a little above and pop it to pull the resin off the screen to get the water out) and kind of pop the bag up and down. They will all drain fast, except the last 2, those will take a little more effort, but same concept, kind of a pull and pop motion, you will get what I mean when you run your washes.
11.The red, orange, and black bags will drain without the cinch method, I just grabbed the bag from both sides and pop it a little, these will drain FAST. The Last 3 will drain the slowest, lift and pop almost, like i said, you'll understand what I mean.
12. No need to use a rolling pin. OVERKILL for sure. I just lightly pad the towel and let the hash chill while I finish up. By the time I rewash my next batch, I chop my hash while I'm waiting the 30 minutes, maybe get something to eat and there ready to pull again. The hash is then dry enough to put on cardboard and chop up with a razor, or a playing card, etc... You will see how much easier it is to chop the better grades of hash.
13. Excellent.
14.Perfect, and No, it won't have much of an odor while it's drying. After it's dried and cured for awhile, you will start to smell that hashy aroma thats to die for. Finally, LoL, rewash the material directly after the first run, top off with ice if needed. I was putting so much ice in, when I stirred the first batch, they would fly out of the bucket. I bought 20 pound bags and used 10 pounds per both washes. My bushes and trees loved it for sure. Stir it up for 12-15 minutes, judgment call there, if it's not bubbling well, stir it faster til you hear ice making a clacking noise, it will bubble nice, I also did smaller circles stirring it, mix it up with different motions. GL, and I look forward to some pics in the future.

bitfreak420
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Step #15: Buy a Bubblenow machine...you will not be sorry IMHO.

oldmanmozz
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Step #15: Buy a Bubblenow machine...you will not be sorry IMHO.

ditto

cheers mozz

smokiyee
12-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Step #15: Buy a Bubblenow machine...you will not be sorry IMHO.I wish, maybe after Feb, TAX season!!