PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Glass?

dc16184
12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I need to ship two tubes and live in a not so liberal state when it comes to these types of things. I grungeoff'd the hell out of these tubes so they are completely crystal and got them in two regular brown boxes. Now i need to ship these UPS or FEDEX and was wondering the best method about going about doing that. I know either of these companies are going to ask me what is inside the box and I guess I'll just say glass, and not get in trouble?. Do you think I should go to a shipping center/mailcenter/ups store/fedex store? just curious whats the safest way to do this

Simz
12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
We'll, from what I've read and know. Usually Fedex and UPS is a no go with those company's because they make you sign a release paper that anyone at anytime can open your package. USPS is also the only one that insure's glass, if it's not used...but even that can be tricky sometimes to get it covered if it broke in transport. Usually, people ship glass via USPS, make's sure the tubes/glass is very clean, sparkling mint, package it well, just to make sure there's no break. And if they want information on the package, just say it's blown glass or glassware or something like that. I dont think you should get in trouble...imo...I've sent some used broken glass that was cleaned up very thoroughly from the Canada to the States to get them repaired and no problem even occured. Sorry, for making this soooo long also.

linsen
12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
also fedex/ups loves to stick the FRAGILE[USE AS SOCCER BALL PLEASE DURING BREAKS] stickers on glass packages

USPS all the way

bitfreak420
12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Don't use UPS...you don't wanna get BROWNED do ya?

Dankohzee
12-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I can't believe what i'm reading. USPS is the shoddiest shipping outfit ever. You never know where your package is and it may show up in two days or it may show up in a month. But I have never actually had to file a claim with any shipping company so i'm not sure how that works. Actually, lemme take that partially back because fedex is some bitches too. They just drop yer shit and run. If you live on the wrong side of the tracks like me, that's not always a good thing. Some crack head will come along and jack your shit.

EasyBakeIndica
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Am I the only one missing DHL?

bitfreak420
12-07-2008, 12:17 AM
dhl does a pretty good job IMO.

johnnyballbag
12-07-2008, 12:20 AM
IMO anything other than USPS is more risky. Fedex, DHL, UPS are all privately owned companies, meaning they can search whatever/whenever. USPS is govt owned a.k.a. tax funded, and because of that they need a warrant to search anything.

etarip
12-07-2008, 06:40 AM
usps ftw imho tbh

YukonBikerGuy
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
USPS, label the package 'Glass Art', package it really, really well.

Aqua Lab Tech
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
USPS, label the package 'Glass Art', package it really, really well.

Good Post YukonBikerGuy.

Aqua Lab Tech

dopamine
12-09-2008, 01:11 AM
i've done my fair share of shipping glass and it's USPS or go home.

Dankohzee
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm curious why everyone likes USPS so much--other than the thing about ups being a private company that can open your package anytime paranoia. I guess i've just had bad luck with USPS. I've used UPS extensively and think they really have their shit together. I mean, to the point where I have actually commented on the fact that at least there is still one company out there who knows what they're doing. I'm pretty surprised i'm in the minority.

YukonBikerGuy
12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
According to UPS, the place I live doesn't exist on the planet, because they don't/can't/won't deliver here at all, so to hell with the brown guys. Places like UPS and Western Union cooperate with the DEA (besides being privately held companies), yes even to track down bongs and confiscate shipments and money. Will some make it through? Yes, but please ship to me by USPS, as I know it will actually get here.

bitfreak420
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
With you 100% on that bro. Well put.

Dankohzee
12-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Hmm. Interesting. But the USPS does their fair share of cooperating with government agencies--there's no question about that.

You're right though. There are certain places UPS just doesn't ship to.

linsen
12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
THe thing is, the private owned companies open/use as soccer balls ANY box they want, whereas the USPS HAS TO GET A WARRANT to open a box, and DOES NOT use them as soccer balls