PDA

View Full Version : Powdery mildew?

bingobango
01-24-2009, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine is having a battle with PM, hes tried various things from neem oil to potassium bicarbonate. he now has a sulfer burner but, you can still find a couple of spots if you look.

Any body here have any advice on how to manage PM.
and do you think its safe to make bubble out of mildewy weed?

YukonBikerGuy
01-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I hate PM. I find the best way to deal with it is avoid it. Keep grow spaces clean, first use a vacuum with a hepa filter to suck up all dust and dustbunnies, and then wipe everything down with a bleach solution between grows. At least once during the vegative stage I give a preventative spray of 1 Tbsp Neem oil and 5-6 drops of dish soap in a liter of warm water, and mist the plants well (shaking often) so the leaves are all wet on the top surfaces. If PM shows up, I have used the spray up to about 3 weeks before harvest, but too much Neem oil near the end of flowering can make your buds taste slightly of Neem oil. Low tempratures and high humidity in the grow room at night will promote the growth of PM, so keep it temperate (with a timed thermostatic heater) and under %50 humidity (I have to run a dehumidifier 24/7 for the last part of a cycle, and every night for the rest of it to maintain %50 or less humidity).

I have made hash from cannabis with PM, and it smoked just fine. As to the health risks... well, I'm not a doctor. I've done it, and lived, but in smokeables as in life, (IMO) you must decide for yourself personally what is an acceptable level of risk for anything you do. For myself, I'm sure I have injested many things more harmfull to my health than hash made from PM'd cannabis, so I'm not worried. Your health and lifestyle attitudes may be different than mine however, so I believe it comes down to your own choice. I know some people who would just smoke the PM buds, and some that would just throw them away, I'm in the middle.

bingobango
01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks YBG. Your knowledge is very much apprecated.

I never noticed the bubble being any different. Ive smoked alot of bub from PM, it certanly makes u used to throwing buds in the bubblenow. We've ran like 5 or 6 full pants latley. big ones. 15gal pots. lots of hash though!!!

johnnyballbag
01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey YBG, what kinds of parameters have you found PM in? In other words, like what sort of temp ranges and humidity? I've never had it myself, which is surprising because i live in a valley where the humidity can get quite high at times. Have you ever had it hit during veg? Thanks mane.

aqualungs
01-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I think a dehumidifier is key for this situation, use one in your grow room all the time.

johnnyballbag
01-24-2009, 09:20 PM
I second that. I won't let my humidity get any higher than 50% in veg and 40% in flowering.

ashesandglass
01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
i have struggled with PM a few times in the past myself......growing in oregon, the air can get super moist, and if you make the mistake of pulling your intake air from directly outside, this can cause PM in a constantly rainy place. Also, humidity is a huge part inside your room, and YGB had perfect advice. However, stray away from Neem strait up....i recently have been using Greenlight's Fruit Tree Spray, which has Neem and Pyrethrium (sp?) which is WAY more effective, and actually way more safe to use (they advertise "Use Up To Day Of Harvest!", but i dont know about that......) Really, keep using it until that shit disappears, and like YGB said, KEEP YOUR ROOM CLEAN! between runs get that room spotless and you can prevent it. the best way to get rid of powder is to not allow it in in the first place! if it gets in.....use GreenLight Fruit Tree Spray! hope this helps....

YukonBikerGuy
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey YBG, what kinds of parameters have you found PM in? In other words, like what sort of temp ranges and humidity? I've never had it myself, which is surprising because i live in a valley where the humidity can get quite high at times. Have you ever had it hit during veg? Thanks mane.

The key seems to be low temps (below optimum) and humidity (above 50%) during the dark cycle, and yes it can happen in veg too. The plant in the back corner that gets little air circulation and little direct light on the backside will be the first attacked.

use GreenLight Fruit Tree Spray!

What is this? Got a link?

ashesandglass
01-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Only been using this stuff for a year or so, but def has been working well...turned on to it by a buddy who manages a growshop here Oregon, http://www.greenlightco.com/products/_LiquidInsecticides.html
second one down..........good shit.

YukonBikerGuy
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Darn link wont work.....

Evergreen
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I have seent Dutch Master Penetrator w/ neem oil work extremely well on huge pm problems.

ashesandglass
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
but if you just google "greenlight fruit tree spray" you can read all about it/purchase some.

oldmanmozz
01-25-2009, 09:49 PM
fresh air all time, to many fans is not nough,
I live in tropics.
oh yer i thought mould was inert, meaning didnt sink or float, but seperated, so yer can use bubblebags on mouldy pot, with trim floating, mould not doin anything an trycs sinking, all good :taz:

cheers bubble an cones Mozz

bingobango
01-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. One more question, do you think being over at his room and then going home to mine, could i possibly carry it on my clothes and introduce it to my room?

YukonBikerGuy
01-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the help guys. One more question, do you think being over at his room and then going home to mine, could i possibly carry it on my clothes and introduce it to my room?

For sure man.

ashesandglass
01-25-2009, 10:41 PM
those fuckers will totally jump on yer pants and jump right off in your room. Ive had mites so determined that they jumped from dryind plants in one room, through ducting through the wall and down stairs out the ducting into my veg room........serious epidemic last winter. Be careful!

Oaxacan
01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
PM can be avoided if you recognise it early, but if its alreaddy there you can try:

1. Neem oil, works, but you must spray it from the vegetative stage, but it can also be that it wont work if the strain you are growing is very weak with PM, some strains tend to get infected very fast some seem to be totaly resistent agains it.

2. Pure milk, direct from the cow. This means it has to be milk from a farm, that was not processed. You have to mix 1/10 L milk with 9/10 L water, spray it on your plants. 2-3 tmes in 1 week, I tried it, and it works 100%. But you have to do it at least 3 weeks before harwest. The negative effect is the bad smell a few days after spraying, but after 2 weeks it totally gone, together with the Powedery Mildew.

3. Lecithin from Soja works great. There is a product we have here in Europe made direct for PM tratment on your plants. It is made for vegetables and is 100% bilo product. Here is a link:

http://www.neudorff.de/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2Ftx_ffndfproductcatalogue%2Fbioblatt _mehltaumittel.jpg&width=400m&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B% 22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=4cfb7eb20cb0ad4a27d22c8a55211bc7

and the most important of all, keep your growing envirement clean at all times, as clean as possible...

keep it healthy,

:smoke1:Oax

SouthParkSourDFan
01-12-2010, 02:25 AM
in the FAQ page of bubblebag.com, BubbleMan recommends the extra step of putting moldy buds in a jar with water, shaking them up, and skimming the mold spores off the surface. my question is this, if mold spores float and trichromes sink, when using a bubble now could i just let the slurry settle in the 5 gal bucket, and skim them all off in one go? let me know what you think...

ganjalicious
01-12-2010, 04:45 PM
You'd have to wait for someone who has tried it, for a better answer. But if you have the opportunity to get as much mold spores off before starting, I would go with that option, then make some bubble

Odin's Kaos
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I had just posted in the other "spotting pm with an LED light" thread..basically just stated NONE of the organic solutions worked for me at all. milk, bicarb, agri-peroxide all failed miserably. Ended up gutting a room and repainting with oil based Killz embedded with a sulphur spray IE: Best solution in a bottle for me was SAFER SULPHUR SPRAY. I don't think it can be beat if used as a preventative, or if the powdery is caught very very early, but even then, usually by the time you can see it, it's way too late.
What kind of role does humidity have in powdery mildews' life?

BigManNew
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey guys I have a quick question if I have PM but very little of it and I make my room very dry will it eliminate it? also does the cold dry help more than hot dry?

YukonBikerGuy
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Cool moist temps during the dark period fosters the growth of PM. Just drying it out may prevent PM, but won't cure it if you already have an outbreak, you need to treat that shit with something.

OnlyHighGrade
04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
^^^ what YBG. You definitely need to get on that. I always suggest going to the store as soon as u see the first speck, because usually there's more, and if not there will soon be more.

I'm not sure if the product has been mad available to CO yet, but check your local shop for Dr. DoRight's.

http://www.drdorights.com/

DrBudGreengenes
04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question if I have PM but very little of it and I make my room very dry will it eliminate it? also does the cold dry help more than hot dry?

PM is systemic....
what we see "as a white powder" is the fruit/bloom...
sprays and treatment
w/Neem/milk /sernade/Sulpher Vapes or sprays
they ALL will help mask the fact U have PM...
by creating a PH on the surface of the plant where PM can not Fruit/Bloom.

It is still inside the plant...:smoke1:

The only way I have been able to eliminate PM is this...
treat a MOTHER of each strain
with a Systemic Fungiscide
this plant will now be PM free
(But toxic)
now....
KILL ALL OTHER MJ PLANTS IN THE HOUSE
so after 3 weekly treatment of the Mothers
and ALOT of cleaning in the Grow area
Remove ALL carpet if there is any in the room
and paint everything w/KILZ...weither U use Mylar/panda or w/e still paint the grow...Spores R evil.
Spray/Rinse ALL fans,Ducts and vents w/H2O2
Now take cuts from these PM free mothers
Veg them,until they R large enuff to take cuts,
then take cuttings
(Keeping the 2nd gen non sprayed moms until the 3rd Gen. have rooted)
Now we will have PM free stock to work with ...
and we r 3 Gen's away from our Toxic Fungiside
and PM free
Good luck...and Happy growing
"May the tric's Be with you"

bubblecrack
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
"Powdery Mildew (PM) is a systemic problem coming from within an infected plant. What you are seeing (the white powderey looking substance) on the leaves is the flowering body of the fungus- the hyphae live within the plant. By the time you can visually identify the problem it's already well established within the plant. No external treatment (like sulphur) can fix the problem.

PM proliferates in shaded and low-light areas of gardens where the humidity is raised; obviously countering these grow room conditions will slow the spread but it won't truly eliminate the fugus from the plants.

The same is true for sulphur applications; be it from a sulphur burner or from a solution such as Safer's Defender. Sulphur will prevent the growth of PM where it is present on the leaf, but the PM still exists within the plant.... not to mention sulphur applications negatively affect the taste of the final product; it seems to concentrate on the resins and an experienced or trained palate will always be able to tell if there was sulphur applied to the plants from how the hash smokes. I don't recommend using sulphur on vegging for flower or flowering plants

There is a product called Meltatox that is designed for application on ornamentals which gets into the plant and actually kills the PM. You should not spray this on plants that are going to be put into flower, or are in flowering. However, IMO it can safely be used to treat your veg state plants to eliminate the PM from your stock. I would suggest waiting at least 4 weeks before taking clones to be put into a veg/flower cycle.

Of course the MSDS is available online and anyone considering using the product should completely read the label instructions to inform themselves about the factors involved, how to properly spray and what precautions to take, the product half-life, etc before considering using.

It does work IME, and can be used as a part of a integrated approach that not only deals with eliminating all traces of spores from the growroom, but also removing the fungus from the plants themselves. Having either infected plants OR a spore infected growroom will ensure the problem persists as one will infect the other.

I would remove the plants, clean the room with industrial greenhouse cleaner, and use a sulphur burner before putting the plants back in the room. Then separately cut back the mothers and sterilize with Meltatox. If the plants are for consumption I'd then wait a month before getting back on schedule to take clones and veg out for the next crop... any remaining Meltatox in the plants would be negligible.

This product is not for everyone and is not safe to spray on flowering plants for consumption. I only recommend it's use to those that will use it responsibly and make themselves aware of the MSDS information available before choosing to use it.

-Chimera"

good luck :)

BigManNew
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice

kerlito
10-25-2011, 04:35 PM
is bad for healthy smoke weed with PM?