PDA

View Full Version : Custom built controllers....

johnnyballbag
01-29-2009, 04:25 AM
Whats up fmb. Johnny Ballbag here. So you may or may not have seen the thread LostCoaster threw up, the 4000w controller i made for him. I've used a lot of grow equipment over the years, and when it comes to power equipment/controllers I've been let down to be polite. I won't get into naming specific brands that i don't personally like, but i've had several incidents involving me having to send units back. Eventually i got tired of this, and figured fuck it, the warranty is obviously worthless on a piece of shit. Plus i don't like fucking with paperwork and paper trails, not to mention all the down time in waiting to get it back. So i started cracking my gear open, and wow! I've had $600 controllers stuffed with literally less than $50 in parts (oh yeah, i checked and priced each component!). That's why if you open most units up, you void your warranty. As if you can't handle the complexity of turning a damn screwdriver. Haha. But I've always enjoyed making whatever i can anyways, plus since i have the tools and experience i figured why not? I can build any sort of light timer, from 2k to 100k. Flip boxes, even pH dosers. I can build a pH doser that'll let your rez drift up to say 6.1, before dosing back down to say 5.6, thus allowing the full range of availability of your nutrients. Anyway you want it, i can probably build it. Feel to ask any questions here, or pm me.

Hennessy1414
01-29-2009, 05:04 AM
more info would be great...so its like when one HID shuts off the others shut off or what? can u make a shutoff switch if rooms breach over 100F

im noob on all this electro-talk...so bone me up man ahahha

~peace out

johnnyballbag
01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Depends on type of controller. There's basically 3 ways to run lighting. Your standard timer, where all lights turn on and off simultaneously. Then theres a flip box, which powers your ballasts 24 hrs a day, and every 12 hrs the power is switched from room A to room B. Then the newest type that i'm aware of is called "zig zag" relaying, and thats where someone would have say 20 lights in one room. But instead of all the lights burning for the whole time, you'll have groups of lights that'll burn for say 4 hrs, then it'll switch to another group of lights. Somebody came upon the realization that the sun doesn't burn full intensity the WHOLE day, EVERY day. So switching groups of lights on and off like that will allow you to cover more area with less power. But that's obviously for growers on a slightly larger scale.

Razz
01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
ooohhhhh, look at you you busy little bee. yeah i need a flipper for 4 ballasts! thanks, pm me with a price. thanks, again. where you located?

johnnyballbag
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Check your pm's Razz.

johnnyballbag
01-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Just so everyone knows, so we don't have any issues here like with some of the glass threads...These controllers are by no means cheap. I build and design with very few goals in mind, and those are:
1) I build my gear to be tough.
2) I use super high quality industrial componentry.

I have absolutely no problems turning a job down if someone wants me to cut corners. If you want a cheap controller, then go buy one of the countless cheap ones on the market. I use Allen Bradley 600V rated contactors, and steel enclosures. I can just about guarantee that anything made by me will outlast most cat's growing careers. I don't wanna sound shitty, i just don't want people to think that because i build them myself they'll be cheap. I build serious equipment for people who don't like to fuck around. I like to know that my spot is safe when i'm sleeping or when i'm away. It's hard enough getting all your supplies without anyone seeing. It's hard enough (ok, not hard, just expensive) to make sure you don't let any tell-tale odors escape. Why add anymore worry or stress? Having a fire or even just having your timer fuse due to being overloaded from too much power is enough to make me want something more. So if you're looking to save money, i suggest looking somewhere else. If you want a beefed-the-fuck-out controller, then i'd go ahead and hit me up! ;)

johnnyballbag
02-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Razz check your pm's if you were serious about that. I'd need more details to give a price quote. If i built you a 4 circuit flip, it'd be different than one that i might build for Hector down the road. Every single design is custom, no two controllers will be alike.

Razz
02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
uh yeah, o.k. i feel sorry for hector!

johnnyballbag
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Don't tell Hector that....

LostCoaster
03-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Just a bump here.

The 4000 watt controller box has been in use now about 2 months. It is built so strong that the property owner at the grow was hugely impressed at the lenghts that my friend went to to ensure a safe operation expercially regarding the electrical setup. The owner was so sure that the operation's first priority was Safety, they allowed my friend to build another room in the garage!

Sure makes a good impression to use quality gear that you know won't fail.

johnnyballbag
03-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Just a bump here.

The 4000 watt controller box has been in use now about 2 months. It is built so strong that the property owner at the grow was hugely impressed at the lenghts that my friend went to to ensure a safe operation expercially regarding the electrical setup. The owner was so sure that the operation's first priority was Safety, they allowed my friend to build another room in the garage!

Sure makes a good impression to use quality gear that you know won't fail.

Glad to hear it man! If you ever need anything else let me know, it was fun building it. You know you want a flip-flop. :p No but seriously it's good to hear that he feels safe with his gear, that def is my number one concern with my gear, a close second is long term reliability. Thanks for the update.

BudBunker
04-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I built a relay controller box. My wiring is not to code, so dont be thrown off by all the red. This controlls 4 outlets on 240v(black) and 4 outlets on 120v(white) Also i have 2 of the 120v outlets on the relay, and 2 are constant feed. The timer can them be plugged into the unit once hardwired

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=13084&pictureid=263317
View image in gallery ('http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=13084&pictureid=263317')

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=13084&pictureid=263319
View image in gallery ('http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=13084&pictureid=263319')

YouTube- relay for 6000w hid's

Brian SB
04-29-2010, 11:58 PM
inneed of connect for napal kush

Stoney419
08-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Good to see quality

Green Supreme
08-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Man I miss that dude. Hope he is well. Peace GS

Syloafmaf
11-19-2011, 06:59 AM
thanks Not ridden it yet May get chance this afternoon though.It is big - around 23" seat tube The post mounts are for 165mm, but Im sure he could make something for 180 without the need for an adapter.

smartcalyx
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
need a subpanel built, you still here rocking this shit?