PDA

View Full Version : First Time Grow

IamStoned
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Ok, so virgin grower here. Started my first grow and now have had a 4 x 1000w light setup running since December. My first babies were supposed to be purple kush.

Now I am around 40days into flowering and the buds are starting to smell. They have a sweet aroma closer to grapefruit buds than the dank smell that most kush strains have. I am only talking about my memory of the smell of cured buds becuase this is all I know. Also there are no deep purples in the leaves like I see in some pictures on here.

I guess my question is, what do you think I'm growing in these pictures? It would be nice to know, so I can figure out how long to go before I start to flush.

Regards,

IamStoned:confused:

Evergreen
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
It looks like you are growing female cannabis plants.
No but seriously, what do you mean when you say "supposed" to be Purple Kush?
Did the person who sold you the clones say they were purple kush? if so then best bet is they are purple kush.
The real smell of dryed cured cannabis is hard to picture when smelling fresh live cannabis.
I would say that it would almost be impossible to tell the strain by just looking at it, you can get an idea of lineage usually if you really know you cannabis plant strains. Maybe someone else on here knows something i dont.

Anyways it looks fucking stellar man, car to elaborate on what substrate it was grown in? what nutes used.

I would say to start flushing it around week six because it looks more indica dominant and indicas tend to finish in the 8-9 week period.

Good luck!

Razz
02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
the lights look like metal halide, not to sound patronizing, but i suggest high pressure sodium for flowering.

RooRripRoadie
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Congrats for poppin your cherry. Looks good

IamStoned
02-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Evac: I think the soil was some sort of promix. I've been using the General Hydro three part with some kool bloom, rizo, grozyme, ect... My fingers are crossed that it turns into some killer purple kush. I think I'll start flushing in a couple more days.

Razz: I've read some of your posts on here. You know your stuff. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will check the light situation out. I was going to be replacing them each cycle, so couple of weeks and I'll be shopping for new ones.

RooRripRoadie: Thanks bro!

Peace All,
IamStoned

Hennessy1414
02-08-2009, 09:43 AM
actually....MH grown bud had its own quality's that can sometimes out-weigh needing a HPS...

....but if you CAN upgrade i would mix the HPS and MH in your grow room. nothing wrong with that.

possibly in the mean time you could get some red spectrum florescent light strips to surround your buds...even when you throw the lights under the canopy and get the bottom sides of the leaves lit..they will love you back even more in the end..bottom line is they need a fuller spectrum of light energy

just my 2cents of course :) maby even a penny if that :pipe:

IamStoned
02-10-2009, 02:37 AM
....but if you CAN upgrade i would mix the HPS and MH in your grow room. nothing wrong with that.

I have read about people doing this. The problem I see is I have four lights in a 2x2 grid. Each light has a coverage area that I have stuffed plants under. Now if I mix my lights (I picture 2 MH and 2 HPS each on diagonal from the other one to keep my 2x2 grid) won't some get the MH coverage, and others get the HPS coverage. I know that the light will spill out, but I still only picture half getting one type of light and the other half getting the different type of light. Am I visualizing this wrong?

Also I like the idea of adding red flourecents, but a think I am pushing my luck with hydro as it is...

IamStoned

Hennessy1414
02-10-2009, 02:53 AM
damn man...you are truly dedicated!!! respect for sure

well the footprint of HID lights so pretty large...i see what your saying tho...some plants will get more MH light than HPS light and vise-versa...you can counteract that by switching the plants location in the room every week or so..

it is more work...but you can see the work you put into them at the end

IamStoned
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
i see what your saying tho...some plants will get more MH light than HPS light and vise-versa...you can counteract that by switching the plants location in the room every week or so..

Good call. I hadn't thought of that. I already move them around a lot. When they don't drink enough, they get shuffled.

So I am just going into week 7 and I think it is time to flush. I'll share one last set of picture with everyone before I flush and wack them down.

Hennessy1414
02-16-2009, 11:36 AM
ok good looking stuff man! you are on a path to success! nice job

one thing...make sure you keep em in the dark 5-7 days before you chop them down....when you keep em in the darkness like that right before you chop em is because it thinks its dying...its a mature bud and it attempts to use all that green leaf energy into the buds to make it survive...in the end you get more potent nugget.

but you seem to have studied your shit so this is already old news to you by now I bet

keep growin' brotha :)

YukonBikerGuy
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Hennesy, what an idiotic suggestion.... keep them in the dark for a week? You ARE killing them in a detrimental way by doing that. I think maybe you want to not water or feed them for the last few weeks too? And put them in a vacuum? You want to deprive them of light? Why not food water and air as well?

IamStoned, value Razz's advice, ignore 90% of what Hennessy1414 advises. If you dont believe me, ask Razz. Have a look through the gallery photos and posts by Hennessy1414, and then Razz, and then me. You have more photos of growing cannabis than he does. Razz and I (and others here) have galleries and posts full of thick lush cannabis, nice hash, ect. If you would rather take advice from someone with no demonstrated experience with growing or hashmaking who comments on everything anyway, then Hennessy1414 is your guy.

MH is good for veg and the first week or 2 of flower only, after that HPS is better for finishing the crop. Whenever you start the flush, be sure to do it for a week minimum, 2 is better for a good flush.

After all this growing, we are going to want to see some hash shots too :)

Hennessy1414
02-17-2009, 02:20 AM
I have personally held down two grows and I used the darkness at the end of flower once. I can tell you from what i saw that the darkness did help with crystal production. dont dog me openly like that...do your research fool :mad:

http://boards.cannabis.com/advanced-techniques/166621-24-hour-dark-period-before-harvest-2.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/321023-total-darkness-last-2-weeks.html

dont take my word for it :snake:

Razz
02-17-2009, 02:29 AM
don't listen to hennessey, and DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE DARK 5-7 DAYS! good god almighty! and thats coming from a person thats held 200 grows. harvest after a full days grow cycle and cut before the lights go off.

johnnyballbag
02-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Yeah fuck leaving them in the dark. And don't listen to hennesy, ever. Seriously. Like Yukon said when he nailed it, let the pics do the talking. There are no magical light cycles. Leave the fucking lights off? Thanks henn! Not only did i just save money by switching to geico, now i don't have to buy timers anymore. Sweet! Haha, j/k.

Hennessy1414
02-17-2009, 03:21 AM
even 48hrs. on some strains can make a difference. Fine if you dont want to do the full 5-7 days then just try 48hrs. I'm sorry for coming in here with different ideas....didnt kno the hate was supposed to spread quickly

Razz
02-17-2009, 03:54 AM
No, No, No! You Must Have A Hate Cloud Following You All Damn Day Long! even 48 hours is wrong. dont listen to ANYTHING from that guy!

Hennessy1414
02-17-2009, 03:56 AM
No, No, No! You Must Have A Hate Cloud Following You All Damn Day Long!
ya and your the one clouding on over me

Razz
02-17-2009, 03:58 AM
i'm just gonna start deleting your posts.

Evergreen
02-17-2009, 04:26 AM
you guys are off the hook, hennessey why dont you have 1 photo of any bubble or plants on here? but 300 posts

johnnyballbag
02-17-2009, 05:21 AM
^^Yeah for real. The main thing is henn, you say shit without any merit. Fuck those links. If those links just reiterate what you said, then it's just full of more dumb-ass posts like yours, from dumb ass people like you. Notice how you threw up those links, but no one changed their opinion? Real growers learn from experience, not here-say. But hey what the fuck do i know? No plants in my gallery either. But at least i don't throw out dumb shit. Quit shitting on Bman's site man. Some people come here to learn, not pretend. You're steering them wrong and fucking up progress. And THAT'S why you get ganged up on and hated on.

Hennessy1414
02-17-2009, 05:30 AM
------------

Razz
02-17-2009, 05:30 AM
no need to replace bulbs every cycle, but at least once a year. i mark the metal base on each bulb with the date i purchased the bulb to remember each bulbs age.

Bubbleman
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey ianstoned, nice to see you on here posting your pics brother.
the plants look pretty decent.
I would definitly listen to razz and ybg, th ey know what they are talking about.
the internet is a rough place someotimes to get knowledge from.
I am sure hennessy is just trying to help, but doesnt realize he is giving away information that is about as useful as tits ona bull.
that is not to bash on you hennessy, but you gotta admit, just saying random stuff isnt going to help ianstoned.

Razz has grown a lot of plants, and in fact every single one i have ever seen him grow has been to near perfection.
For me online a picture is worth more than a thousand words.
Just got thru the galleries and you will quickly see who knows what.

peace
Bubble man

Razz
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
wow, thanks man!

YukonBikerGuy
02-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Ya, thanks man. Honored to be included in the group that know what they are talking about. :)

Bubbleman
02-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Well come on guys, if your growing weed that looks great, smokes great, tastes great, and everyone compliments you on it, and here is th e really important ie WORD OF GOD

YOUR HASH IS MELTY.
that to me is the ultimate sign that a grower knows what he/she is doing.
the bags are and have always been to me since their inception the word of god when it comes to are you growing the BOMB.

my two cents.

Bubble man

Evergreen
02-17-2009, 05:33 PM
thank you Bman!!!!! always dropping knowledge

Green Supreme
02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd say whatever they are you should start your flush if you haven't already . Peace GS

Hennessy1414
02-18-2009, 04:23 AM
one quick question....any of you ever actually "attempt" the method I suggested..and no I'm not spitting off random BS..I have tried that shit before and it seems to work well..cant wait to get more research on it later down the line

Razz
02-18-2009, 05:05 AM
I would never attempt to harm my garden as you suggest, nor would i want my friends to attempt that stupid suggestion either. go do your research, and good luck, but we wont be following your advice. thank you.

johnnyballbag
02-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Haha. So you "held down" two grows. So how many times have YOU attempted it? I mean come on dude, you even had Bubbleman, the owner of this site, (ya know, the one who provides you with a place to post such stupid shit) even politely suggested that you don't post dumb shit. Yet you persist. Why? Because you're an idiot? Is that why? Hmmmm?

Hennessy1414
02-18-2009, 05:19 AM
harm???? ok im done with all this funny biz....you guys can do what yall want. in the end...theres dank bud to smoke..party on :)

Razz
02-18-2009, 05:24 AM
thank you god, buddah, allah, and and all the others high above for what's his name being done with all this funny biz!

johnnyballbag
02-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Amen to that. And i never to meant shit on your thread iamstoned, quite the opposite. Your shit already looks better than Colt45 (wasn't that his name?) could ever think about sneaking to grow in his parents house. Yeah thats right.

Razz
02-18-2009, 05:30 AM
hahahahahahahha!

IamStoned
02-21-2009, 03:35 AM
lol, I love how this turned into some crazy thread! I am excited about my first go. So far the advice I've followed is paying off. Things look really good. People are saying it looks like 3-4 lbs. I'm trying not to start counting chickens.

I won't be leaving them in the dark for 5+ days... but books I have read, and advice from friends has been to cut them down in the morning after the 12 hours of dark, and before the light comes on. Basicly, on the last day, remove the on switch from the timer, and then cut them down when you get there. I don't remember the exact reason, but it was something like, at night the plant doesn't drink. At night the liquids in the plant drip down into the pot. When the light comes on, the plant starts to drink, so the idea is to cut it at the base before it gets a chance to suck up anything else.

I know this is exactly the opposite of Razz. I think it probably makes little difference, and this is why people have polar ideas on this topic.

I have been doing an aggresive flush. We are experimenting with some new ideas that seem to have cut my friends flush time from two weeks down to one.

Razz: I checked my bulbs, they were HPS. The white balance was probably tweeked on the pictures. I am thinking (on my next go) of getting some hortilux bulbs and mixing them with the HPS. Apparently the hortilux blubs cover more than the MH bulbs spectrum.

BubbleMan: Thanks for looking at the pictures. I would like to be taking shots like you one day. These were the best I could get out of my lenses.

RooRripRoadie
02-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Actually I read an article in High times by Jorge Cervantes talking about leaving in a dark cycle before harvesting but he did not go in to detail about its effectiveness. Only he knew some people tried it. It was the same issue were you Bubble man was published asking some yield questions using the hydro garden and some white widdow. I would not risk it though unless I had a very large system down and could afford to try it on a plant or two. Peace

Razz
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
like i said, cut down after a full 12 light cycle. your friends dont know shit on the topic.

IamStoned
02-22-2009, 04:52 AM
I found the magazine article. It was in a high times beginers guide. They said that during daylight the plant draws starch and salt from the roots up into the plant. These are what we are trying to flush out because they taste bad and burn black. The article said at night these starches and salts drain into the roots. Therefor if you wack them down before the light hits them, you should get better burning bud.

However, I don't know shit on the topic. All I can do is read, and get advice.

Razz: What is the reason for cutting down at the end of a light cycle?

itsfern420
02-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Hennesy, what an idiotic suggestion.... keep them in the dark for a week? You ARE killing them in a detrimental way by doing that. I think maybe you want to not water or feed them for the last few weeks too? And put them in a vacuum? You want to deprive them of light? Why not food water and air as well?

IamStoned, value Razz's advice, ignore 90% of what Hennessy1414 advises. If you dont believe me, ask Razz. Have a look through the gallery photos and posts by Hennessy1414, and then Razz, and then me. You have more photos of growing cannabis than he does. Razz and I (and others here) have galleries and posts full of thick lush cannabis, nice hash, ect. If you would rather take advice from someone with no demonstrated experience with growing or hashmaking who comments on everything anyway, then Hennessy1414 is your guy.

MH is good for veg and the first week or 2 of flower only, after that HPS is better for finishing the crop. Whenever you start the flush, be sure to do it for a week minimum, 2 is better for a good flush.

After all this growing, we are going to want to see some hash shots too :)

damn get fuckin taxed on!!!

Razz
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
the reason is. first of all, if you flushed your plants properly, you wont have to worry about the starch and salt uptake by the roots, because there is no starch and salts to uptake by then. second yuo will be harvesting your plants when the medium is dry, when the plant senses there is no more water, they crank out the resin production in the glands as a coolant to help cool the plant off. so after a full day of this cranking of the resin production, cut the plants to achieve full potential. hope this is understanding, i'm pretty high right now.

Razz
02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
oh, yeah, i wouldnt believe much what high times prints in their rag. i know those guys!

IamStoned
02-23-2009, 06:43 AM
the reason is. first of all, if you flushed your plants properly, you wont have to worry about the starch and salt uptake by the roots, because there is no starch and salts to uptake by then. second yuo will be harvesting your plants when the medium is dry, when the plant senses there is no more water, they crank out the resin production in the glands as a coolant to help cool the plant off. so after a full day of this cranking of the resin production, cut the plants to achieve full potential. hope this is understanding, i'm pretty high right now.

ok, this makes sense. I have read about how a lower humidity will increase resin production. Thanks for the info!

smokey bear
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
the purple color usualy comes out stronger with lower temperature near harvest time in the mid 70 or so, well with blueberry and purple strains

IamStoned
03-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I ended up getting 4 lbs of bubba kush and a 1/4 lbs of purple kush from my four lights setup. Not bad for a first timer eh?