PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

fizoster
02-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Yo all,

I've been researching this and I keep finding mixed answers and opinions. Some sources say that you shouldn't put seedlings under your grow light for a couple weeks to avoid burning them. Others say that you should put them under the light as soon as they are in the soil. You guys always give me the best information, so when in doubt, go to fullmeltbubble.com!! :pipe:

johnnyballbag
02-07-2009, 06:31 AM
What wattage lights are we talkin?

Razz
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
i put them under the big light right away, but the 1k is about3 feet above the sprouts

fullmeltbubble
02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
gotta be careful with overlighting new sprouts....if your gonna put em under HID'S do as razz does and make sure the light is high up.....the sprouts don't need a lot of light, to grow....

Evergreen
02-07-2009, 08:48 PM
yea just as razz said 3 feet should be good.

fizoster
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Well the seedling aren't mine, they're my boys'. So, I asked him what wattage his lights are and he doesn't even know ha. He's using his mom's grow setup that she uses for tomatoes and other shit (with her permission of course lol). All he knows is that they are full spectrum grow lights. Not very good info, I know ha. But thanks a lot for responses, I'll pass the info along.

crAZjoeherbizzle86
02-18-2009, 02:20 AM
I have a 40 watt Philips natural light; it's just a white light bulb that provides light similar to natural daylight, according to the box. I actually have this light positioned with reflective aluminum foil only a few inches above the soil, in which a few seedlings were planted and have yet to show up above the surface. Do you think this is an okay setup to start out with? I'm lighting it 18 hours a day now, usually watering at the beginning of each lighting session. Thanks

fizoster
02-18-2009, 02:34 AM
You don't need light until after sprout pops out of the soil. Did you germinate the seeds before you put them in? I know VERY little about growing but that's one of the few things I do know ha.

Razz
02-18-2009, 03:34 AM
i used to germinate seeds with the paper towel method. now i just.................

RooRripRoadie
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Ive always put seeds in a wet paper towl then in a ziplock plastic bag. Twice a day open and let some fresh air in. Ive always had 100% germ rate this way. Once you see the tap root come through in a few days plant in your meduim. I use a mix of vermiculite perlite and peat moss 1/3rd of each then start. Not until I see them pop through the dirt until I put under a 175w MH about 2-3 feet away. Take your hand and place it palm down under the lights when you dont feel extreme heat your plants wont either. Peace