PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time figuring out how to set up my FIRST grow.

the imitator
02-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Hey everyone, I will try and make this as easy to read as possible. I,m in need of a little help, I have decided to do an aeroponic system with a reservoir.

To be honest I'm quite flustered with how this is going to work, I've read numerous online "DIY" and videos, It still doesnt click for me.

so here are my questions, and im sure answers to my questions will lead to other questions so please bare with me!

With aeroponics how often do you keep the sprayers on for?
Is it 4 times daily like hydroponics?

How do I set up the reservoir?
The reason for the reservoir is quite obvious, to make checking PH levels/changing water ETC. I think a water pump with reverse pumping is the best route but I'm not positive.

How often do I change the water?
I think its once a week?

What is the ideal Nutrients for an aeroponics system?
A link to a website would answer this.
Both plants are from the same strain.

johnnyballbag
02-16-2009, 05:04 AM
You'd be a lot better off trying to do something other than aero for your first grow. Maybe consider ebb & flow or even just a simple drip system. Doing aero for your first grow would be like trying to learn how to drive in a Ferrari.

the imitator
02-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Ive already bought all the main stuff for the aeroponics though. lol

johnnyballbag
02-16-2009, 08:09 AM
All you'd need to do for a dripper is just buy some dripper stakes, or even just use air line tubing if your pumps pressure isn't too high. For ebb and flow you'd just need a overflow/drain fitting. Nothing wrong with aero, but unless you have true aero mister nozzles that measure output in microns, you're basically just doing a glorified drip system anyway. What are you putting your plants in? Unless you're using monstrous containers, your roots will eventually grow down into what your plants are in; i.e. say you use 5gal buckets for each plant, you'll have a disc of roots in the bottom of the bucket by the time the plant is harvested. Which makes it more of a dwc with the roots sitting in water. Most people who have tried to make DIY aero systems don't end up sticking with them long term. With aero you have to run a tight ship, cuz the metabolism is running so high that one little problem can manifest itself into others VERY quickly. Expect to need a water chiller too. Not at all trying to knock you, your idea, or anyone else using aero. It's just that judging by your questions, you'd be much better served starting with a more "forgiving" system. Just my two cents...

the imitator
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
no bro dont even worry about it, information is good.

Well im going to do my clones in rock wool surrounded by hydroton rocks in 3 to 4 inch net pots and then as they matur and grow a bigger root structure i was going to move them into bigger say.. 6 inch net pots.

well that does pose a problem as far as roots sitting in water...

would it be safe to string them? as in kinda hanging them up?

I'm using 2 30 gallon totes.

LostCoaster
02-17-2009, 04:26 AM
So listen dude. Aeroponics is the most problematic and tricky system, that is really only suitable for expert growers. I am not trying to discourage you from success, exactly the opposite is true when I say that you should pick any system out there over aero as a beginner. There is very little room for error. Personally I have never done aeroponics but I have studied it in depth, so I have a good idea of what is involved.

the imitator
02-22-2009, 06:58 AM
no problem guys, thanks for the helpful info..

I have further more set up a simple DWC

johnnyballbag
03-24-2009, 05:41 AM
How's that DWC working out for ya? I'm in the middle of buidling a whole new system, going to be doing DWC, mack daddy style. Lol. How'd ya build it?

LostCoaster
03-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Definitely interested in your take on aero johnny! I am sure you will do it justice. How are the dogs coming along?

Evergreen
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
hydro is great and all, but if you want the finest smelling best tasting cannabis, soil is the only way to go bro, but I'm sure there are some peeps on here who might object to that statement

stretchpuppy
03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Go to a more robust grow forum (aeroponics is pretty specific) and look into the hydro sections. There are MANY. Find someone running a similar style, and copy them. Sounds cheesy but it's a great way to start, and then develop your own techniques through experience.

old school
03-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Soil all the way! It is easier for newbies to deal with. Less chance of fatal mistakes...Just MY opinion!

Party on!