PDA

View Full Version : Same seeds, 2 very different plants

fizoster
03-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Alright, my boy and I have 2 plants growing at his house. We got the seeds from the same bag of weed, and the 2 plants are very different from each other. One is much bushier with a thicker stalk, and does not smell at all. The other has thinner leaves and already reeks when you get close to it. They are about 6-7 weeks old. I'm assuming that one is male and the other female. I've tried finding information on distinguishing between the two, but I cant seem to find any symptoms of either on our plants. Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fizoster
03-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Sorry, by the way, the black pot is the bushy one, the tan put is the smelly one (I think it's the female). And sorry for the sideways pics as usual, I still can't figure out how to fix it. They come up right-side-up on my computer ha.

YukonBikerGuy
03-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Any given cannabis plant that produces seed can have any number of 'phenotypes' possible from the same batch of seeds from genetic differences in the mother and father plants, and/or fertilization by more than 1 male, and/or the bag you got the seeds from could have been from buds from 2 different (not genetically identical) females in the harvested crop. It is possible that they are male and female, but you cant tell by shape size or smell of baby plants like that. The only way to find out is to sex the plants (or a small cloned branch from the plants just for sexing is even better), for all you know now, they could both be two very different females, each with thier own unique qualities.

Whatever software you are using on your PC to look at the pictures (probably the software that came with the camera) is automatically correcting the picture's orientation for viewing. If you open the pictures with Windows Picture and Fax viewer, you will see that the pictures are actually sideways, if you right click the pictures there is a rotate option that rotates the actual image not just the view of it.

The best way to load pics into a post (once they are right side up) is to upload them to your Gallery first, then while making the post, go to advanced mode, click the Open link under MyPics, make sure at the top of the picture window that comes up it says 'original image', click the pic you want to insert, put a space and then a return, and then insert the next pic, rinse and repeat.

fizoster
03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Awesome, thank you so much YBG I really appreciate it. You always give awesome advice ha.

YukonBikerGuy
03-14-2009, 06:15 PM
No problem man, glad to be of service. :)

**NB** One note on uploading pics to the Gallery, if they are too big they will not upload properly, a little cropping is all that is usually reqired in this case.

fizoster
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
OK, Well these girls have gotten HUGE over the last 10 days. I cannot believe it. My boy's had them under the lights 24 hours a day. Now here's our dilemma:

With the setup he has, the plants are only gonna be able to get to about 2 - 2.5 feet. So, we want to trim the plants in order to maximize our space. I've read a lot about "topping" the plants to fill the horizontal space. However, in all the info I've read the pro's and con's seem pretty vague and so do the directions as to how to clip the plant. Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much for reading, I know people must be tired of hearing about our 2 little plants ha.

ropesheads
03-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Alright, my boy and I have 2 plants growing at his house. We got the seeds from the same bag of weed, and the 2 plants are very different from each other. One is much bushier with a thicker stalk, and does not smell at all. The other has thinner leaves and already reeks when you get close to it. They are about 6-7 weeks old. I'm assuming that one is male and the other female. I've tried finding information on distinguishing between the two, but I cant seem to find any symptoms of either on our plants. Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks!
youll have plenty of good seed if youu are right.flower them now,

ropesheads
03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
flower them and get some seed

YukonBikerGuy
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
OK, Well these girls have gotten HUGE over the last 10 days. I cannot believe it. My boy's had them under the lights 24 hours a day. Now here's our dilemma:

With the setup he has, the plants are only gonna be able to get to about 2 - 2.5 feet. So, we want to trim the plants in order to maximize our space. I've read a lot about "topping" the plants to fill the horizontal space. However, in all the info I've read the pro's and con's seem pretty vague and so do the directions as to how to clip the plant. Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much for reading, I know people must be tired of hearing about our 2 little plants ha.

Topping a plant is easy, just cut the main stem down some nodes from the top; and where ever you top it, the remaining branches try to compete to be 'the' top, and you end up with several, this is a bushy type plant. Low Stress Training (or LST) is continually bending the tops and branches over and tying them down so that all branches are making an even canopy to maximize horizontal space. A topped plant (or LST'd) will have many colas, but they wont be quite as big as an untopped plants main cola (in my experience), and topping will add to the overall time of a grow. LST also adds to the overall grow time, but can be usefull in smaller spaces to help maximize yield from a plant or two.

Personally, to top a plant, I pick 4 good sized branches about mid way up the main stem. Then cut the main stem off a cm or 2 above the topmost of the 4 branches, and prune off all branches lower than the 4 selected. I also take the first node or two off of each of the 4 selected branches, leaving the growing tip and 2 or 3 nodes from the inside (towards the main stem) on each of the 4. The plant at this point will look like a green stick with some leaves on the tips, but after a few more weeks of growth, it is a big bushy plant again with 4 good sized main colas producing branches. (I do the same type of pruning to my crop when I flip it to 12 hrs, minus the topping to produce the best buds).

Here is a picture of a plant pruned up at the beggining day of flower for an example:
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/5/1/6/day3aMedium.JPG

Granted, these plants are bigger than yours will be in a 2.5 ft space, but the same technique will work on a smaller scale as well. I dont do LST, and I only top plants when I have too many vegging to go into flower at the same time. Then I top and prune them a bit, and have some big healthy plants with huge rootmasses to start with for the next flower cycle. Here is a shot of one plant from the same crop, at day 34:
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/5/1/6/Day34Medium.JPG
You can see that even after such a severe pruning a month or so previous, the plants are nice and bushy and healthy, the buds are just starting to swell a little.

Hope this helps some, if you have more questions or w/e, please post them up. Got any updated pics? :)

fizoster
03-22-2009, 05:26 AM
You are the man! Thank you, I appreciate it so much I can't even tell you. Wow, now that's an actual grow haha. Here's a few updated pics. The one in the black pot has started to go crazy. The leaves are really fat now, you can see in the picture with my hand. We're gonna put them in 12/12 in a couple weeks so we want to top them ASAP. Thanks again man!

And actually, I do have one more question. The bottom branches aren't really getting much light because of the fan leaves at the top of the plant. Is there anything we can do to help with this?

P.S.-I STILL can't make the pictures come up the right way. Sorry, I know it's annoying. I just got a Mac recently and I'm still trying to get used to it ha.

Hennessy1414
03-22-2009, 06:00 AM
awesome looking herbz mate :pipe:

hope they produce well for you :pray:

YukonBikerGuy
03-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice lil plant, those fat leaves show me that its indica dominant.

The biggest problem with florecent light is that it doesn't penetrate the canopy well, to reach the lower parts of the plant. HID lighting has much better penetration. You could make the walls of your space more reflective by painting them with flat white paint, lining them with mylar, or reflective white plastic, and that will help a little more light get to the lower reaches. You could also install supplemental side lighting. On much bigger plants, sometimes removing a huge fan leaf or 2 at the top can help get light to the lower branches, but on small plants like yours, I wouldn't reccomend it.

Sorry, I can't help with the Mac, I only know about real computers ;) Hah

fizoster
03-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! I appreciate the good vibes. Ill post some new pictures once they start to flower.

carlitos
03-23-2009, 04:23 AM
lol i like this lil project i cant wait to start my own grow and start to post everything here its going to be my first big project, once i have teh place lock down for sure im posting it up from buying and choosing the seeds and material to finally curing and smoking the bud has oil and everything htat has to do wit it so who knows maybe i 6 to 8 months...wow i rambled on and on and on anyways nice plants

fizoster
05-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Got some updated pics. Unfortunately, the quality sucks because I took them on my phone, but you guys can get the jist. One of the plants was a male, so I had to get rid of it. It's crazy too, because the one that was male REEKED of good ganja. I couldn't believe it turned out to be a male. This girl is covered in resin and I can't wait to cut her down. I'll definitely be posting some more pics of my hash run later lol. Hope you enjoy the pics.

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3/9/9/IMG_0064_thumb.jpg (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9407)http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3/9/9/IMG_0063_thumb.jpg (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9406)

****Edit: Sorry, I can't make the pictures work right. They come up as thumbnails, but it won't let you enlarge them when you click on them. If anyone knows why and could help me out, I'd appreciate it.