PDA

View Full Version : Bubble trouble - help improve my technique

jrace
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi folks,

new to the site...not to the process.

I have been making ice extracted hash for a couple of years now, and my only issue is that it never bubbles. The smoke is good, the high is right...just no bubbles. So, with that in mind I will post my current technique with the hopes that it can be refined to produce higher quality hash.

My equipment:

Bubble now
5gallon 4 bag set: 200/120/73/30(the 200 and 30 were sold by KBR, purchased locally just before I found out about bubble man - the 120/73 are bubble bags)

My Product:

Historically I used frozen dried post-tumbled mixed trim of various origin, never expected bubble of any kind with that low quality source.
Last run was done with dried 200grams of high quality trim, this was the second and final trim done to the plants, only the leaves closest to the buds were used, and a fair amount of popcorn buds. - Strain was BC Hash Plant (from what I am told)My method so far:

place dried material in wash bag, add 3kg ice.
add 3kg ice to Bubble Now, fill with water to M
first run, 3 min.
pulled all bags, discarded 200
bags placed directly onto towel to absorb excess moisture
once all bags place onto towels I start a 15min run
then I carefully remove hash from each bag and place on silk screen that is on top of a dry towel, separated by grade
shortly after I will transfer to cardboard, and cut up with plastic card.
dry on cardboard for 48hrs, moving slightly and cutting up more if needed to achieve powdered state.
second run of material is processed through 200 and 30 only, repeat steps to dry (this grade is only used for capsules and baking).With all that being said....my end product is a fine powder, all grades kept separate. All grades are easily pressed in the palm of my hand - although rarely do this. I just put the powder on a SS screen and toke through either glass bong or glass pipe.
It has never ever bubbled.....:confused:

Comments? tips?

Just upgraded this past week to the XL and the 4bag 20g set, so the next run will be with Bubba Kush X Deep Chunk when ready in about 1 months time.

What would you suggest to improve my chances of having at least one grade bubble...

Thanks,

JR

fullmeltbubble
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
i would maybe add a bag or two to your set....with your new equipment i'd suggest getting a 120 micron bag....that will make the 73 a cleaner/purer product...i also only use fresh frozen trim....

YukonBikerGuy
03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
A few things to note:

1) Some strains wont make melty hash even with the best technique.
2) The best and meltiest hash comes from fresh material, not dried, as FMB suggests.
3) Shorter mixing times yield higher quality hash, I personally do a 6 minute mix on the first run, and some here will do only a 3 minute mix. The second run I do either 10 or 15 minutes, depending if its buds or trim, buds get the 15, some here don't even bother with a second mix.
4) Upgrade your bags; maximum seperation (ie 8 bag set) gives the best chance to seperate that which bubbles and melts from that which does not (*NB* I think FMB might have meant add a 90µ or 160µ bag (heck add both), as you said you already have a 120µ)
5) Freeze your trim first, minimum 24 hrs, personally, I find leaving fresh material in a deep freeze (not a mushy-popcicle fidge freezer) for a minumum of 2 weeks seems to give a much more pure end product. Even with your current process, let the trim and ice and water sit for a while in the machine before mixing so that all the trich heads will get chilled down to optimum temps.
6) The higher quality material you start with, the better, if using trim, keep out non-frosty fan leaves; if using whole flowers, be sure they are completly ripe, early harvested material (with unripe trich heads) wont make as nice hash as the same material brought to a full finish.

Hope that helps,
YBG

fullmeltbubble
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
well the bubblenowxl 4 bag kit comes with 220 160 73 and 25....so i'd defintly add a 120 bag to make the 73 purer...if money's not an issue i'd also go ahead and get a 90 micron bag....