PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis Culture issue 74#

Bubbleman
03-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Well the newest issue of cannabis culture has hit the stands,

check it out, got a new trichome article in there, where not only do we share the photos of beautiful glands, but we give a nice chemical and scientific breakdown on why and what they are their for...

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/node/17307

Bubble man

colitas
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Def. have to pick it up, thanks for the heads up!

sm0ke
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
good timing. I was about to get a sub

jrace
03-24-2009, 06:03 PM

I just read that CC will no longer be printing...just digital copies.
from treatingyourself.com

Razz
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
yeah, i heard this was the last issue as well....

COOPAROO
03-25-2009, 03:14 AM
no way!? last issue? damn i've gotta grab this one

Bubbleman
03-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah it sure didnt take marco long to start spreading the news. I am a contributor and didnt even know till i read marco's post. Well that and when we got his phone call to see if we wanted to switch our advertising to his mag.

Anyway i will be very sorry to see CC go, if this is the case.....

Bubble man

Aqua Lab Tech
03-27-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/content/cannabis-culture-magazine-moving-online-version

Cannabis Culture Magazine will be ceasing publication of its print version and moving to an entirely online format due to increasing financial constraints, the prospect of further economic downturn, and the increasing obsolescence of print media in a digital world. Watch for some major changes in the near future as we transform CannabisCulture.com into a revamped marijuana super-site. Message from Cannabis Culture Publisher and Editor-In-Chief Marc Emery:
I have decided to cease publication of Cannabis Culture Magazine's print version and move to an entirely online format. Magazine advertising and circulation are predicted to fall off in the near future and matters will get worse if I continue to print a paper edition.
We printed 62,000 copies of issue #73. Soon afterward, magazine distributor Anderson News – who handles 25% (about 12,500) of our magazines that go to newsstands – went out of business. This was terrible news for all magazines, as Anderson News was one of the largest publication distributors in North America. That news led to our main distributor, Disticor, ordering 9,000 fewer copies of #75 (had we printed it), meaning our immediate future sales on newsstands would have been severely reduced. Ultimately, each issue lost about $35,000 to $45,000, and my Cannabis Culture Headquarters store in Vancouver, BC was forced to pay for the losses. That was an unsustainable burden we cannot afford going into the future.
Cannabis Culture Magazine began as the Marijuana & Hemp Newsletter (then called Cannabis Canada, then renamed Cannabis Culture) in 1994, the year the World-Wide Web debuted. In those days, all information about marijuana, hemp and our culture was available only in the monthly High Times Magazine and nothing else. We were the first web site (HempBC.com) in the world about cannabis, appearing in November 1994, and in January 2000, we began the very first cannabis video streaming website (www.Pot.tv (http://www.pot.tv/)) online.
Now there are thousands of websites devoted to cannabis information, photography, commentary, grow information, and political news on an hourly or daily basis. Our magazine, appearing once every eight weeks, simply cannot stay abreast of current events and the modern-day demand for immediate news and material. Our organizations are often being quoted, but the references are from our online material and archives, videos, movies, TV interviews and other multi-media. At the same time, feedback has dropped from readers and the effort to produce a print copy of CC Magazine required enormous manpower and a small Canadian forest for each issue.
The future of all print media is bleak. Many magazines and newspapers could go out of business by the end of the year, including The National Post, Sports Illustrated, Maxim, and many others. Check out the latest Sports Illustrated; it has only 10.5 pages of advertising in the entire issue. TIME Magazine has only eight pages of advertising. Magazines rely on advertising, and as the economy worsens, companies are not able to afford ads like they used to. The digital age is truly the future. Magazines don't have nearly the impact they once did, because all information is available faster and free online. Our www.CannabisCulture.com (http://www.cannabisculture.com/) website gets a huge number of visitors and readers – much more than the magazine ever did – so that’s where we will put all of our effort. It’s clear that printed media is no longer sustainable or effective. If we focus on our online presence, we can raise revenue and be more efficient and competitive with information. We will continue our pioneering ways by taking advantage of our Pot-TV video capabilities and our extensive contacts and reputation around the world.
Here’s a breakdown of CC Magazine’s unsustainable costs. Of the 62,000 printed for #73, only 35,000 sold, meaning 27,000 got destroyed (which is typical with magazines, but very environmentally unfriendly). Now, with chaos in our distribution system, our potential sales would drop to under 30,000. The circulation revenue for that is a disappointing $44,000 per issue; advertising revenue is only providing $30,000 per issue, but it costs $64,000 to print 62,000 copies. It’s another $10,000 to ship to distributors, stores and subscribers. Those costs are covered by revenue from all sources, but the cost of producing the magazine is approximately $16,000 for material (writers and photographers), $32,000 for the staff of six people who work in 8-week cycles to produce the magazine, $4,000 an issue in promotion, posters, subscription cards, and much more that were not covered by revenue the magazine generated. Subscriptions never made money, and we never had more than 1,400 subscribers at any one time. Each magazine cost about $2 each to produce, plus 60 cents to ship in Canada, $1.50 to ship to USA, $3.00 abroad. Envelopes and packing took another 25 cents per issue.
This huge cost of producing CC Magazine has meant our retail stores and mail order have had to pour $20,000 into the magazine each month for the past 3.5 years – ever since the Marc Emery Direct Seed catalog was canceled from CC Magazine in July 2005 (after the US Drug Enforcement Administration raided my seed business and set me up for extradition to the US - please see www.NoExtradition.net (http://www.noextradition.net/) if you don’t know this story, and to help me fight to stay in my home country Canada). When I had the seed business, I paid $35,000 for my 12-page catalog to appear in each issue. In those days, CC Magazine had 20 pages of additional advertising that produced $30,000, so combined, advertising generated $65,000 per issue. We’re done our best to keep CC Magazine alive, but it has been a growing revenue drain.
All subscribers will get a credit in the mail worth 25% more value than what we owe you for the remainder of your subscription. The credit is redeemable for merchandise from the CC Mail Order catalogue, CC online store (www.CannabisCulture.com/store (http://www.cannabisculture.com/store)) or in our CCHQ store (307 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC, 604-682-1172). If there is no merchandise you would like to receive, then we will reimburse your remaining subscription money.
I am extremely proud of our 15 years of publishing Cannabis Culture in print. Our activist publication inspired so many people, and did numerous good things for the movement. We will continue to devote our time to changing the world and ending the war on drugs. Our Cannabis Culture and Pot-TV websites, the CCHQ retail store, the BC Marijuana Party, and CC’s online mail order will all continue – and they will be able to do even more now that CC Magazine’s losses won’t be subsidized. It is the end of an era, and I know many readers will miss CC Magazine, but it’s also a new beginning. I hope you join us on our journey into the future.
Thank you for your support over the years.
Marc Scott Emery

Aqua Lab Tech

trichomefarmer
04-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Sad to hear but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

It was a fun ride while it happened.

Bubbleman
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah for sure trichomefarmer, thats the way i gotta put it to . It was a great ride while it lasted no doubt about it.
And after going down there a few days ago and seeing marc and jodie, and the rest of the mag crew, i can tell they are in no way giving cannabis culture up, just the hardcopy magazine aspect of it.
they are definitly stoked on promoting the online site as much as they can now...

Peace
Bubble man

Aqua Lab Tech
04-06-2009, 04:16 PM
A legal battle with city hall could see B.C.'s 'Prince of Pot' getting smoked out of his Downtown Vancouver headquarters.
Marc Emery faces drug charges in the U.S. that could land him behind bars. But it's a simple dispute over a city business license that threatens to hit the outspoken marijuana advocate where it hurts - in his pocketbook.
Emery says the city has refused to issue him a license for the businesses he runs on the 300-block of West Hastings Street. Emery claims the city won't issue him a business licence because of his 2004 arrest and conviction in Saskatchewan for trafficking - he says a witness saw him passing a joint at a rally.
"It's interesting they're being such tight-asses about that one conviction. We've been here since 2001. We've never required a business license up until now," said Emery, who suspects the apparent newfound interest in his vocation can be traced to next year's 2010 Games.

"It's just harassment," Emery said. "They just don't want me around for the Olympics."
At a business license hearing next week, Emery plans to argue he has done everything demanded of him to get a license, including thousands of dollars in renovations.
The city's chief license inspector, Barb Windsor, told 24 hours she couldn't comment on the issue since the matter is now before council.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/04/03/8988086-sun.html

Aqua Lab Tech

ropesheads
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
get help from world custom

colitas
04-26-2009, 06:33 AM
well Bubbleman I picked what looks to be the last copy of print CC and I have to say to someone who's never bubbled you have photographed perfectly thanks for the ed-u-mu-ca-tion....:pipe:

kushguy101
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm going to find the article now, i want to know everything and everything. CC was great, still is imo! I'm a web kinda guy anyway. i even get my playboy and hustlers by way of torrents online hahaha

YukonBikerGuy
05-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Picked up the last 2 issues yesterday. Yay.

bubblecrack
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
didn't emery narc on reeferman and a whole bunch of other canadian growers/breeders?

maybe thats why they're pissed lol

Bubbleman
06-18-2009, 12:03 AM
http://cannabisculture.com/v2/content/inside-trichome

Lord_sixx
01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
and what an article it is!! very informative and jaw dropping pictures as usual.