PDA

View Full Version : A quick soil question..

follow1yourpath
03-23-2009, 04:27 PM
On the first day of spring I finally decided to get things going. I went to dig up some soil, But all I could find was red clay. I figured the clay wasn't my best decision, But I figured with not too much it would retain some extra water for the plant. So I used about 30 Percent Clay, and then layed 70 Percent of some potting soil on top of that.

Any help is good help. Keep it cheesy N Irie All.
Thanks.

originaldutchmaster
03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
clay is good because it hold together aggregates and retains water, but too much clay will give you poor drainage and too much is bad soil structure for plants to grow, the roots cant physically penetrate pure clay..... i just got back from my soil science class so there ya go, lol

edit, if the soil you added to the clay is more sandy in its makeup it will assist in drainage, but that too can be problematic because its more granule and doesnt form in aggregates in its pure form

follow1yourpath
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Dutch!
I'm thinking there is enough of the soil for the plant to sprout and the roots to grow some length before hitting the clay. I only started a few days ago, So I'll just wait a little bit to transplant them into something better.

Soil Science? I just graduated from high school, Well two years of homeschool.. And im planning on getting out of here and farming my own personal crop full time. And I was actually thinking of taking some courses on botany and soil and all that ish. It'd be interesting and mad helpful.

Green Supreme
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I would dig holes and fill with Promix or some soilless mix. Good luck in whatever you decide. Peace GS

originaldutchmaster
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
i would propagate the whole garden not just dig holes and fill with better soil, that creates a good situation right outside the plant but where the good soil meets the bad soil it will restrict roots and make for poor drainage... my teacher said filling holes with better soil is an older method thats not used anymore but hes had success with it, just propagating the whole garden space is much better

originaldutchmaster
03-23-2009, 05:31 PM
and yeah, this is my first horticulture class and i love it

YukonBikerGuy
03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I think you are container growing, and were thinking of using native soil in containers? Or are you going to grow outside in the native soil? Either way...

Buying enough promix (or anything else) to augment an entire outdoor garden space's soil, particularly in poor soil (like clay) would be very expensive, and labor intensive. If you have an agricultural plot where you can legally grow year after year, the expense might be worth it, but otherwise the 'dig a hole and fill it with better growing medium' technique that GS has suggested is usually more practical and cost effective. Promix or a soiless mix is actually a better choice than potting soil, as it has better drainage.

It is also my first choice for growing in containers, for the same reasons. Cannabis plants like good drainage, so I give it to them, I even add 1/3 extra perlite to my promix for super drainage. In any case, a suitable growing medium in good condition is 1 of the cornerstones of a healthy garden.

Good luck with your grow, however you do it.

originaldutchmaster
03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
yeah filling in holes is fine unless its a very longterm thing, i was just talkin basic horticulture not cannabis in his situation

Green Supreme
03-24-2009, 12:49 AM
In the north many rely on root restriction to trigger autoflowers doing their thing. Peace GS

follow1yourpath
03-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks Suuuuppreme. That's right where I'm at.

DCALLSTARR
03-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I layer it soil, perlite, soil, perlite, soil... that way once you really start watering her as she grows nice and tall, the perlite dissolves and leaves gaps where your roots bunch and it acts like an underground reservior keeping water in pockets around your plant.

DrBudGreengenes
06-02-2009, 12:54 AM
I layer it soil, perlite, soil, perlite, soil... that way once you really start watering her as she grows nice and tall, the perlite dissolves and leaves gaps where your roots bunch and it acts like an underground reservior keeping water in pockets around your plant.

How are U dissolving
PERLITE?
Perlite is Glass my friends good luck
I have perlite that has been in my soil mix
for YEARS
thats Y it is such a good thing to add to soil
U can break it up Psycially
But it's not gonna dissolve

COMPOST
Is your best friend when it comes to Clay Based soils
add
50% Compost
10% Perlite
15% EWC
25% Native soil...Screened to 1/4 minus
(Screen ONLY the native soil)
Add:
Kelp Meal
Alfalfa meal
Corn Meal
(do not add the corn meal if U will be sprouting seeds within 90 days in this soil)
Some Greensand and Lime

That will make for some happy Ganja Plants

Good luck...and Happy growin :pipe: