PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Percs

govegan
04-15-2009, 01:56 PM
What's everybody's best method to clean percs? They're always such a bitch to get spotless, I feel like no matter how much grunge off one uses on them, there is almost always atleast a thin layer of scum left on them. Fucking A.

YukonBikerGuy
04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and table salt combined with a lot of shaking.

winspence3
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Ok man, I had the same prob. for a long time. There would always be this thin ass layer of discolor inside the perc chamber. I tried everything, hot water, iso, different salts ect. Finally I saw on TC that someone had used oxyclean and worked. Sure

winspence3
04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
So just fillup you tube full with hot water, plug up the hole with stopper, dump in a scoop of oxy and let it do it's thing. The longer you let it just sit and shake it around every once in a while, the better the product works and will just lossen everything in the tube off. Then I just run mass hot water and then cold water.Works like a charm everytime. Let it sit for and hour or so if you can. Hope this helps!:)

winspence3
04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Those really thin layers come off as skin like layers sometimes, it's looks really gross but then again your tube is spotless and nothing looks more gross than a dirty ass bong!

govegan
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
So far I've blown threw a bottle of Grunge Off and two bottles of iso propo and countless amounts of salt... but oxyclean, now that seems like a solution that I never thought of. Thanks everybody. Bong scum is fucking gross

trevorlahey
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Heat up the iso on the stove it works 1000% better just be careful, apparently that stuff is flammable.

Doomtrain
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
What is the word on using Oxyclean to clean?

Radio Flyer
04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
ISO WILL BLOW UP IF HEATED TO LONG.

ISO has a VERY LOW BOILING POINT so be EXTREMELY careful when heating it.

DaNK
04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I have a 7-13 arm toro and I use Grunge off super soak. It comes in the black bottle. takes less than 10 minutes and its like new again. The key is not going too long in between cleanings. peace, hope this works out for you!

dutchmastakilla
04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
yea heating iso is dangerous. id personally prefer to stay away from that method if there are other alternatives. i remember hearing oxyclean works well, buti also remember ppl saying there was a down side to it...im not sure what it was tho. does oxyclean make your labels rub off or something? maybe im wrong..

Doomtrain
04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
yea heating iso is dangerous. id personally prefer to stay away from that method if there are other alternatives. i remember hearing oxyclean works well, buti also remember ppl saying there was a down side to it...im not sure what it was tho. does oxyclean make your labels rub off or something? maybe im wrong..

Thats the sort of information I'm looking for.

Bubbleman
04-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Grunge off.
just got a box of it today, going to do a little photo essay for you all here. on a very dirty gravity bong i have .( hasnt been cleaned in almost five years

Will have it up soon

Bubble man

Aqua Lab Tech
04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Here is a new product that works great. This is a great product to take on vacation, it is very hard to get good alcohol in other countries and this makes cleaning you piece very easy in any part of the world. Alot cheaper in shipping costs also.

http://www.shazzamcleaner.com/index.php

Aqua Lab Tech

originaldutchmaster
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
sweet, glad to hear u finally got the GO bman! let me know what you think

hearmeroor
04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
grunge off super soaker in the black bottle will get ever stain off if you let it sit...pour a bottle in at night before you go to sleep and let it sit and in the morning your tube will be clean as new

minotaur
04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I think the problem with the OP is that hes forgetting an important step to rinse with some white vinegar after you have used your cleaning solution.( iso/salt or GO). This should take care of any film or cloudy residue left over (mostly hard water stains). Give it a try I guarentee once you try white vinegar you will never clean your tube without it again. It really makes a huge difference. Try it out. And as for percs, I never recommend shaking a tree perc, invest in some grunge off. And for the white vinegar, just roll it around in the tube for a couple minutes. Works wonders.

winspence3
04-15-2009, 05:38 PM
The word is Oxygen

dutchmastakilla
04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
white vinegar huh? i think i'll def try that then, along with the trusty iso + salt. thanks for the tip! ill post later on to report my results too

YukonBikerGuy
04-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I've been told the heavy-duty cleaning agent called CLR will remove all hard water stains and resin remnants too, but it will also take labels off of glass, so its not always the best option, but it might work for yer percs.

govegan
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I've never even heard of the white vinegar trick, it seems that everyone has their own tricks. I've been a big fan of grunge off as well as the iso/salt trick. Even the heated Iso. But those fucking percs still got this layer of scum on them. It's not hard water stains, it's just bong scum. I'm gonna get some oxyclean and see what that does.

dutchmastakilla
04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
govegan - have u tried the white vinegar trick yet though? if white vinegar works too, then i would probably prefer to try the white vinegar before trying the oxyclean. just for the fact that it is more natural, or at least edible and wont kill me, and that vinegar is probably cheaper too. oh yea, and u can cook up some marvelous shit with it. either way, let us know how it goes

govegan
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
will do, will the vinegar work on more than just hard water stains, it's just the thinnest layer of scum that won't go away. no chunks of res, just perc scum.

eastghost
04-16-2009, 05:58 AM
To whoever asked about heating ISO:
since the boiling point of iso is far less than 212 F, its very simple to attain a rolling boil using a microwave for ~30-45 seconds. This method does not expose flammable vapors to open flame, and is as safe as heating anything else.

A word of caution: The vapors that boiling alcohol give off are POTENT. I've gotten whiffs before that have made my head spin, so make sure you rinse the entire tube/glass peice out thoroughly before use. Theres nothing more unpleasant than breathing iso-flavored air from an improperly rinsed tube.

steve3sc
04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Billy Mays is tha tits!

YukonBikerGuy
04-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Look for Bubbleman's sticky thread about the latest product he is carrying, Grunge Off. Sounds like amazing stuff and exactly what you are looking for.

Aqua Lab Tech
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I've been told the heavy-duty cleaning agent called CLR will remove all hard water stains and resin remnants too, but it will also take labels off of glass, so its not always the best option, but it might work for yer percs.

You can use CLR or a Calicium Remover, like Cal-X to remove those hard water stains that alcohol will not even remove.

Aqua Lab Tech

aero
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
To whoever asked about heating ISO:
since the boiling point of iso is far less than 212 F, its very simple to attain a rolling boil using a microwave for ~30-45 seconds. This method does not expose flammable vapors to open flame, and is as safe as heating anything else.

A word of caution: The vapors that boiling alcohol give off are POTENT. I've gotten whiffs before that have made my head spin, so make sure you rinse the entire tube/glass peice out thoroughly before use. Theres nothing more unpleasant than breathing iso-flavored air from an improperly rinsed tube.

yo have you died yet? ill trust you if u havent died

eastghost
04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
hahah, not dead yet. Ill post a video at some point to show that im not lying.

BoricOxide
04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I'll vouch for microwaving iso. I do it all the time to speed up the evaporation. I run a plate of it for about 3.5 minutes.

And has anyone figured out what the downside to Oxyclean is yet?

govegan
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Microwave trick is the shit but i blame that on a broken perc so i would really only recommend it for thick glass

eastghost
04-23-2009, 01:22 AM
really? i never heard of anything like that, it would seem to me that borosilicate glass should easily withstand the boiling temperature of alcohol (82.3 Degrees C, 180.14 degrees F). what kind of tube was it?

johnnyballbag
04-23-2009, 01:49 AM
If you're going to boil ISO, maybe you should run hot water through it for a while before you do. Only reason i'd see one breaking is due to a temp change.

govegan
04-23-2009, 02:43 AM
It was a Roor, a US Roor, but Roor none the less. I run hot water through it, ten salt and iso first, then rinse, then boiling iso, I didn't see it break, but I cleaned it put it away took it out the next day.... broken perc. shitty shit son

Hennessy1414
04-23-2009, 02:49 AM
I hope you didn't shake it around too much^^

to get the iso warm just put it in a bottle and run the bottom part of the bottle (where the iso is) thru hot water...the heat transfers into the bottle and its below boiling temps...there ya go problem solved

also..fuck iso and all that bullshit...white vinegar DOES make you shit sparkle..but fuck all these solvents and get Grunge Off...no more dealing with bullshit solvents

govegan
04-23-2009, 04:20 AM
I've also dug on ISO/Salt until I came across Grunge Off, shits awesome. I need some of the Super Soaker, they only have the powder grunge off at the headshop near me, but that shit is still awesome. Why would shaking fuck up a perc? I kinda figured if it was all one piece there is nothing for the perc to smash into and what not

KaptainKhronik
04-23-2009, 07:08 AM
THere are some crazy bath salts that work magic with 90%+ iso

pick them up at bed bath and beyond or a soap store, they're really big and from the ocean and work way better than table salt

DaNK
04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
grunge off super soak beats all those other solvent based bullshit cleaners. Just try the shit and you will see for yourself that iso and salt and vinegar are cleaners of the past. Wise up people and listen to your peers. They are telling you what works!

Dread_head_420
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
i didnt bother even reading this whole thread .. so sorry if sumone else has already said this ...

But the best thing to do .. IS NOT LET YOUR PERCS GET THAT DIRTY !!!!!!
ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GLASS LOOKING BRAND NEW, then youll never have the problem of dirty scum blacky shit that permanitly will be there ;)

eastghost
04-25-2009, 01:49 AM
THere are some crazy bath salts that work magic with 90%+ iso

pick them up at bed bath and beyond or a soap store, they're really big and from the ocean and work way better than table salt

heard they can scratch your tube. Dont use anything but table salts. Although, i dont know from personal experience, but i aint risking it.

Kronus
05-12-2009, 09:10 PM
you can definitely use sea salt if you need something more coarse in there. the problem is that since its bigger and we have percs with small holes, it'll get into them sometimes and not wanna leave. id stick with table salt unless you have no percs.

the problem with oxyclean is that it will leave residue if left in for too long. you must make sure to clean it out of the bong after only a few hours of soaking or else it builds up on the walls and leaves a white chemical residue that you do not want ending up in your lungs. you can clean all of this off, it just turns out to be a lot of work you dont anticipate. you have to be very thourough always when rinsing your piece of these harsh chemicals.

i need something better here. i have a 3 percd 3 footer, and have tried iso+salt, 420cleaner, and oxy. the oxy did not get all the resin buildup off of my percs and since i left it in longer to do its thing, i ended up with white chem buildup all over the insides to top it off. i havnt smoked from it in quite a few months now. been looking for something to pour in there that will just take it all off in one go. i no longer have my own place, and cant leave my piece out to soak for hours.

hope that helps someone.
anyone know if its ok to boil up some grunge off and pour it through there?

minotaur
05-12-2009, 09:34 PM
no point, soak it with grunge off..hide it while soaking, whats the big deal?

Kronus
05-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I guess I'll try some Grunge Off when I get a chance. I can't leave it out for hours and don't have a place to hide it that someone may not accidentally come by it. I was forced due to circumstances to move back in with my rents. Their both extremely ignorant and anti-drug. If someone were to chance upon it soaking away I'd be disowned and thrown out of here in a blink. I also share a room, so locking it in with me is not an option.

DaNK
05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a 7-13 arm toro and I use Grunge off super soak. It comes in the black bottle. takes less than 10 minutes and its like new again. http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/forum/images/aesthetic/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=20426)

420_Skier
05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Then I just run mass hot water and then cold water.

I'd be careful of this, glass cracks with quick temperature changes.

Benji
05-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Grunge off. no question about it.