PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Filter... worth it?

govegan
04-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Anyone ever used the Roor Carbon Filters? I've been oggling them for a while but don't know anyone that has ever used them. Just wondering if they're worthwhile or not. Ontop of that, how do they work with an ashcatcher? It seems like a good idea, figured I'd ask before actually purchasing one.

EEbrew
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
They keep the tube way clean, but do add just a tiny bit of drag.

govegan
04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
You think they keep it cleaner than just an ash catcher would? Is the smoke any smoother too? Thanks.

EEbrew
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
yes it will keep the tube cleaner than an ac. some say it's smoother some say it's not. though if your a heavy smoker you'll need to frequently change the carbon as it will get clogged with ash and resin.

govegan
04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
true, thanks man, it's lookin like this will be me next accessory :cool1:

Respect Marley
04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Great accessory definitely smooths the smoke and will mean cleaning is a breeze.

Just remember to wash and dry the carbon before use. :)

govegan
04-15-2009, 11:32 PM
anyone got an extra one they want to part with?

Hennessy1414
04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Just remember to wash and dry the carbon before use. :)

elaborate on this please :confused:

Carbon filter are worth it 100% makes your hit/your glass much cleaner :)

Here's my rig..homemade is just ever so much better :pipe:

http://www.arizer.com/node/82 (double ended male 19 GONG) all i do is place a screen in that ^ glass bowl right below a ground joint(doesn't matter which side)

http://www.weed-star.com/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=475
Then I take the bottom part of that^ bowl screen and hook it up to the cyclone bowl up there

it can hold quite a bit of carbon...word to the wise...if you don't want to change the carbon every 6-8 hits just don't 'snap' the bowl....completely smoke it but don't let any ash go thru

~peace

eastghost
04-16-2009, 05:40 AM
He means to get rid of any carbon dust, you should wash your carbon in tap water before use, or risk having dust all up in your tube. Some carbon isn't as dusty as others, but i always wash mine just to be sure.

Carbon is absolutely worth it, despite the small amount of drag it adds because it keeps my glass so damn clean. Its especially useful because it keeps my ac clean as well, and if any of you have any type of tree-perc ac you know it gets dirty as shit FAST. The smoke is much smoother/cleaner, much less harsh with huge hits, and probably better for you since more of the tars/carcinogens are filtered out.

In my experience, the high also changes. It seems to be more cerebral, and doesn't seem to have a ceiling (i.e., the more i smoke the higher i get, seemingly without limit), whereas when the carbon is off, i get less of a head-directed buzz, and once i cross a certain threshold, i cant as easily get more stoned. It also seems to negate some part of my tolerance, and i need less material to get a similar effect. The only thought that i have on this phenomenon is that potentially some of the cbd/cbn is filtered out by carbon, and the smoke is a primarily THC laden hit, which is much different than the combined cbd/cbn/thc of unfiltered herb. I am not a scientist, and have not extensively tested the chemical content of my roor rips, so this is pure conjecture but it seems to make some sort of sense.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Hennessy1414
04-16-2009, 07:27 AM
well put..I agree :)

Respect Marley
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Put the carbon in tap water, it will bubble and froth, and the water takes black sediment out.

Then let it dry naturally, this may take a long time but is necessary as i heard wet carbon releases something when smoke is passed through.

After this you are good to go. :)

Definitely makes it softer on the lungs and makes your piece 100x cleaner.