PDA

View Full Version : few beginner questions

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey you all, I'm looking forward to possibly trying my first successful crop in a nearby somewhat remote area that is hopefully concealed enough :snake: I think I've got the basic fundamentals down mostly. I plan to just get some cheap buckets, cut holes in the bottom of them, and put a layer of gravel or something on the very bottom of them below the soil. Before I get some kind of seeds, I'm basically wondering, would 5 gallon buckets be big enough for any strain? Also, could those buckets only contain 1 plant each? I'm still not too familiar with sexing, but I do know a webpage that tells how to pollinate for more generations of seeds, which would be cool.

Also, if I dig up soil in the woods somewhere (like when I'm out fishing), would I have to sterilize it by cooking it? There is some rich soil near where I live.

Thanks a lot for any input,
Joe

outdoordreams
01-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Hey Joe. Welcome to the world of growing your own.
5Gallon containers with lots of holes works great. 1plant per.
Some plants want more root space.
Some plants will flower earlier when having a reduced root size.
If your going to make seeds for yourself, make sure you pick a reliable variety to start with. No sense in reproducing illegal hemp.
Different locations need different genetics.

Dont sterilize the soil, unless you have nasty problems...........most soil you find in nature has a nice balance of beneficial micro-organisms, and fungi.
Check the Ph of the soil and bring in some high-quality coco bricks, and mix into the soil. Add some organic nutrients. Careful not too much. You can always top feed later.
Peace Outdoordreams

Where you at?

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Right on, man - it's really exciting to see that this can be done, especially without having to do anything to the soil found in nature; that's good stuff. I'm in central Illinois (United States). I actually just bought some soil, perlite, and peat moss, and earlier today, I retrieved some slightly pasty and claylike soil from some woodlands. I suppose I could just mess around with this soil I found by mixing it with other stuff, you know? Unless I try to find soil with a more ideal texture somewhere else.
Peace

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I actually just found some really good soil in woods near my house - I guess I now know where I'm gonna be getting a lot of soil! :)

outdoordreams
01-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Check the PH!