PDA

View Full Version : Using Alcohol/Ethanol instead of water?

bubblecrack
05-30-2009, 11:17 PM
My friend told me the best way to make bubblehash is to use alcohol instead of water. Heard it makes crazy bubble that expands like those snakes at firework stands.

anyone tried this? heard it makes completely wicked shit!!!

this better not be some big fad on here started by my lameass post :p

bingobango
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Respect Bubbleman and his hideout by not mentioning solvents.

Water is the only ingredient around here, oh and some frosty buds!!

Hieronymus Bosch
05-31-2009, 01:18 AM
This is a site dedicated to non-solvent extraction of trichomes. Besides, alcohol extraction produces oil, not bubblehash.

bubblecrack
05-31-2009, 01:20 AM
LOL i'm talking about using bubblebags with ethanol instead of water.. not some crazy butane extraction...maybe i should just go off and do this myself ...lol

bubblecrack
05-31-2009, 01:24 AM
This is a site dedicated to non-solvent extraction of trichomes. Besides, alcohol extraction produces oil, not bubblehash.

water is a solvent but I kind of see what youre saying ... are you sure if you did the aforementioned method you would get oil?...im not sure bout that..

DrBudGreengenes
05-31-2009, 02:09 AM
water is a solvent but I kind of see what youre saying ... are you sure if you did the aforementioned method you would get oil?...im not sure bout that..

When Making Bubble Hash WATER is NOT
used as a solvent
It is merely a carrier for the trich's
to allow Gravity to do its work.

What U R Discussing is ISO Oil
and we would prefer that ya learn a SAFER way to make your extracts
Ya don't really need to try to Re-Invent the wheel
the round ones R working just fine.
:smoke1:

bubblecrack
05-31-2009, 03:40 AM
When Making Bubble Hash WATER is NOT
used as a solvent
It is merely a carrier for the trich's
to allow Gravity to do its work.

What U R Discussing is ISO Oil
and we would prefer that ya learn a SAFER way to make your extracts
Ya don't really need to try to Re-Invent the wheel
the round ones R working just fine.
:smoke1:

are we reading the same posts? I wasn't trying to use anything as a solvent I was simply asking if anyone has tried using alcohol instead of water with bubblebags. I am not trying to "reinvent" anything because it was a method my friend told me worked very well for him. I normally use plain water with my bubblebags so once again no need for the butane extraction lectures

YukonBikerGuy
05-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Ethanol, or Ethyl Alcohol (or any alcohol), is a solvent. If you put buds, or trim, in ethanol, or any other solvent, it will disolve the trich heads, leaving you with oil at the end, wether you filter with bubblebags (not recommended, poor bags), window screen, or coffee filter. The only variation I have seen besides water and ice in these bags is water and frozen CO2, think there was a thread somewhere here, but I can't seem to find it. I also dont recall that it was any better (only more expensive for the dry ice) than regular ice and water.

PS, I did have a friend accidentally throw in about a cup or 2 of iso in with his hash mixing water, and he ended up with a wierd sticky hash that I did not enjoy smoking that much. Also not reccomended (poor hash).

Hieronymus Bosch
05-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Well, alcohol is a solvent, just like butane,in the sense that it will breakdown the wax membrane and release the terpenophenolic cannabinoids, leaving you with just oil and not the intact trichome. I suspect that the bubble bags will have little bearing on the final product cause oil is still oil.

Razz
05-31-2009, 04:57 PM
it's time to delete this thread!

bubblecrack
05-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, alcohol is a solvent, just like butane,in the sense that it will breakdown the wax membrane and release the terpenophenolic cannabinoids, leaving you with just oil and not the intact trichome. I suspect that the bubble bags will have little bearing on the final product cause oil is still oil.

oh i get it the alcohol acts as a solvent because it forms a chemical bond as opposed to water which is also a solvent but isn't acting as a solvent.

I figured there would be more steps to making butane hash oil than this but apparently not

YukonBikerGuy
05-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Water is not a solvent in respect to the waxy membrane of trich heads (try to stir a candle into a glass of water). When making ice/water extracted hash, the water acts as a chilling agent and a carrier for the trich heads; now brittle and mechanically seperated from the plant material.... a solvent would disolve the trichs to chemically seperate them.

If a substance is water soluable, then water is a solvent for it. For instance, chlorophyll is water soluable, and will turn the water green (or red, purple etc) when making bubblehash. The bubblehash we are collecting is not water soluable. A few of the water soluable turpenes are removed during the process which is why the dry sift will taste different than the bubblehash made from the same material. Some people will mix some of the same-scource dry sift back into the bubblehash, for a more 'complete' flavor profile. Personally, I prefer to keep them seperate.

Now, for the last time..... hash is not made with any chemical solvents, period. Please stop asking about solvents and thier ilk here. We do not use or condone solvents here. If you want to know about hash, this is the place. For other stuff, go to other places man....

jBUCKS420
05-31-2009, 10:21 PM
BHO isn't considered hash? No sarcasm, I'm seriously asking.

Green Supreme
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
The O in bho stands for oil. Peace GS

jBUCKS420
06-01-2009, 01:31 AM
So oil isnt hash, hash is collected trichs, oil is trichs melted by a solvent, yes?

Hieronymus Bosch
06-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Technically not melted. They are absorbed by the solvent, the wax membrane is dissolved and the oil is left behind. It strips it of terpenes.

Though I suppose that there is already too much discussion about oil.

jBUCKS420
06-01-2009, 02:03 AM
I think that this discussion should be okay and allowed because its helping me, and others, to learn that there is a difference between Hash and Oil, which I hadn't previously known. I had thought before this discussion that Hash was a term used to describe ALL concentrates (Bubble hash, finger hash, BHO, Qwiso and so on) made from marijuana. But FMB has helped me to clarify! Thanks!

Hieronymus Bosch
06-01-2009, 05:52 AM
Word!

-hieronymus Bosch

d0rk2dafullest
06-04-2009, 12:53 AM
agreed with leaving this up for ppl

smokiyee
06-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah I didn't know either to be honest, I figured since it didn't look like oil, it's hash, but it's not. The alcohol or butane absorbs, water is used to seperate the trichs from the matter(makes sense). I agree, we should leave this thread up for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.

Tangerinegreen
06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
One last question from a rookie who is just getting started with this...I just got the 8 bag, 1 gallon bag set...haven't even opened it yet...but already the question popped in my mind about adding a little dry ice the the mix...without really knowing anything yet, I thought the bubbling action of the dry ice might be helpful? I had no intention of doing this the 1st time...and I certainly wanted to tap into you guys experience on this, don't want to damage the bags or leaves...Opinions, please...thank you, Steve

jBUCKS420
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Search the threads homie, Im pretty sure Ive read on here before about peoples' experiences with using dry ice, although I don't recall whether there was a positive or negative effect on the bubble

Tangerinegreen
06-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Dumb question maybe, but what would be the difference between tap water and distilled water in the process? I know there's some bizzare sedement that can be chemically extracted from tap water...and I'm sure they pass right through the 25 micron layer...so I assume this isn't a promblem? I heard of an old college buddy using only Fiji water but he was always somewhat eccentric...Opinions on the water, please? Make a difference?

jBUCKS420
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
If you want all your questions answered, I suggest asking elsewhere on this forum because people aren't going to be checking this thread constantly. Youre better off starting a new thread asking this question, BUT FIRST use the SEARCH which is really helpful to find all the information you could ever need regarding bubble which IS, as Ive heard, worth the trouble.

Mr Cookie
06-17-2009, 04:01 AM
yes i agree 100% of deleation of this thread or leave it up so ppl no not to post extraction or solvents talk in here
as i used to make oil for 10 years then one day burnt 35 % of my body and never looked back at extractions

slacker081
06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
how would you extract the iso from water if it was mixed wiht the water it probably still would disolve the trichomes how would ya get them back

Green Supreme
06-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey Tangerine, if you are really sensitive taste wise you may be able to taste the calcium, floride or chlorine {That may be}used in tap water. It does go through the 25 bag as you have stated. Once the hash is removed from the bags it still has water in it, therefore that stuff would still be there. I have heard of folks using dehumidifier water. It has no additives as it is just humidity captured from the air. I have always used tap water personally. Peace GS

Chickenhead7
06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah I mean if you really want to use clean water you could always go with an RO unit, or distilled water too if your not making that big of a batch. I think 2.5 gallons of distilled water from a supermarket is like $3-4, so it ain't that bad if you only need two or three. Bigger batches, like washing machine size I would definitely use an RO unit if you want clean water.

Personally I have always used tap water and it tasted fine....I think I am going to try using RO or distilled next time around though to see if it makes a difference in the end.

jcreamy420
06-29-2009, 10:38 PM
i'm not trying to go against any principles of this website and i definitely respect the preference of Bubbleman and all you bubble has enthusiasts BUT

coming from the mind of someone whose seen people make bubblehash with bubblebags AND seen people use butane to extract oil to make the oil-based concentrate i can honestly say that the potency of the oil based concentrate is much higher.

thats not saying that if you used wayyy more high quality plant material/ parts to make the hash that it wouldn't be just as good, its just saying that for the same amount of bud/trimmings the butane extract delivers more potency.

Razz
06-30-2009, 01:49 AM
somebody please delete this fuckin thread!!!!!!!

gbk.xscape
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
The question you asked isn't even the same as question in the paragraph.

JiggyFly
07-01-2009, 02:05 AM
somebody please delete this fuckin thread!!!!!!!

Then in the future when people search for information on this subject, they will find nothing, and will no doubt be similarly barked at when they post a new thread with the same question.

I for one did not know that using a solvent resulted in "oil." Up until I read this thread, I had been calling any solid concentrate hash, and any liquid concentrate, oil (seems obvious to me). I think most others would apply the same logic, hence the misconception. Good info here.