PDA

View Full Version : seed vs clone for hash - my thoughts

irie_iwe
07-14-2015, 09:55 PM
#seed2sieve That's my thing. I make my hash from cannabis that I grew from seed myself simply because I do not have access to clones and I just grow and extract for myself and family. My facilities is also very small as well and mothers/clones just doesn't work for me at the moment. Not that I necessarily prefer seeds over clones. Reality is, I wish I had proper facilities for a mother room with a shelf for clones. Workin on it. :) So I'm nice and dabbed up over here and I got to thinking......

When growing from seed the variation among individuals in the garden could potentially bring a wider spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes as opposed to clones, thus creating a more complex high and possibly more effective medicine? As we know, most "strains/crosses" will have 2 or 3 or sometimes more different phenotypes. Lots of variation. Will the composition of terps and cannabinoids inside the trichomes of each individual within a genotype vary as much as the physical appearance of the plants themselves? Then again growing from seed will bring variation in the sense that some individuals may be better/worse than others. Stronger/weaker. Maybe more/less trichomes, bigger/smaller trichomes, stronger/weaker terpene and cannabinoid content. I can see it going both ways but I have no clue. Could this result in a possibly lower or higher quality hash in both a recreational or medical aspect? How will the number of individuals used affect this? Individuals also ripen at different times which brings me another thought/question. Would it be preferred to have a wide variety of trichomes of all stages of ripeness? Some people harvest each plant separately and some chop em all at once. How do we even define "better"? How do we define a higher quality? Does more potency always mean better? Does more terps always mean better?

On the flip side specific flavors and aromas for the hash may be easier to achieve when working with select cuts and all clones should ripen at the same time. All clones ripening at the same time must help bring a certain standard to the final product benefiting the med users. Working with clone also may bring a level of familiarity with a strain one doesn't or can't have when growing from seed. I'd imagine each filial generation is going to change to a degree and most of us don't have a thousand f1's of their favorite hybrid, nor a thousand f7+'s of their favorite "stable" line to keep popping crop after crop. We probably all should be making them though, huh?

I'd imagine there are connoisseurs out there that have thought this through and in the end it probably simply comes down to personal preference. Let me know your thoughts preference if you have one.

Francy420
07-14-2015, 10:05 PM
I can force different outcomes, and terpene profiles by just changing up some of the environmental factors. For instance my Training Day I am always working with will smell, and taste completely different when grown under a mix spectrum vs. just hps. Can I guarantee these differences? Not yet, but is something I notice. The quality of the resin as far as meltiness seems to be the same.

irie_iwe
07-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Is the training day you are working with from clone or from seed Francy?

Francy420
07-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Origionally from seed. I did a phenol hunt which was pretty easy with DNA gear. Now they are all clones from clones. I don't really keep mothers I just clone off my plants that are about to go into flower, or the first 2 weeks of flower. I have done this in the past over a number of years and never saw a decline in potency or vigor.

irie_iwe
07-14-2015, 11:21 PM
You must be confident in your cloning I would be afraid I'd end up losing the strain through a failed clone. I guess its always a good idea to take a few.

Francy420
07-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Always take more than you need. But yeah at this point I have no issues taking 1 cutting. I have it pretty dialed in. Every once in a while you run into a strain that doesn't clone easy though. With a little bubble bucket cloning is easy. Now If I wanted to run any larger rooms I would have to start keeping mothers. But clone from a clone method is great for people without a lot of space.

irie_iwe
07-15-2015, 04:38 PM
So imagine how the hash could differ in a room full of training days grown from seed vs a room full of your training day clone.

How would it differ? Would it be "better"?

Forcing the outcome. That is the familiarity I was talking about in the OP. It would be hard to have that familiarity with a seed stock given that every individual should vary some and you'll never grow the same plant twice. It can really be dialed in with clones.