PDA

View Full Version : How Does FMB Clean Their Slides?

gazstove
06-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey FMB,
Not sure if this thread is gonna get moved so sorry in advance.

I've really been wanting to post some pics of my glass, but my PH(x) and Salt bowls are both so resinated. I'm wondering how some of you guys get your slides so clean, iso alchohol and salt doesn't seem to do the trick. What's your solution for this?

Thanks,
gaz

Green Supreme
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Bubbleman sells this product. Peace GS

http://www.freshheadies.com/catalog/accessories-26/grunge-off-super-soaker-77.html

beefcake
07-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I clean all my bowls weekly. The most useful stoner tool Ive purchased was my bowl holder and downstem holder. I fill the bowl holder with table salt and isopropanol. Stuff a square of toilet paper in the bowl itself and shake!!!! WHen the inside of the bowl is clean, rub the resin out of the bowl with the toilet paper. This goes the same for downstems and the downstem holder. Pick these two items up and your glass cleaning experience will be much less frustrating :)

hedeez
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
After years of cleaning my glass often daily, I've found this system to work great. And it all costs less than 5 dollars for months of cleaning!

-Isopropyl Alcohol 99%
-salt
-Q-tips
-sealable plastic container
-electrical tape (if you dont own a downstem holder)

For the slides and downstems, fill container with (preferably recycled) isopropyl, and leave your slides and downstems sitting in them overnight.

Next day, pull out your slides while still covered in iso, dip you Q-tip in the iso as well, and brush off the accessible residue with EASE!

As far as your downstems are concerned, clean what you can with the Q-tips, then use a downstem holder with some iso and salt to shake out the rest.

As far as your tube goes, Ive used many mainstream "degrunging" solution. And nothing compares to the Iso/salt mixture. just shake that through for a minute and she should be sparkley!

You should never have to spend more than a minute or two tops to clean your glass again!

Here are some tips:

-Isopropyl doesnt lose potency in liquid form it is as strong as when you opened the bottle (resin in it or not), so if youre recylcing your iso in a sealed container you should be able to stretch a 2 dollar bottle for months

-Isopropyl does evaporate, so keep a lid on your container:)

-If you dont own a downstem holder, use this method. Clean and dry the exterior of the downstem, wrap the diffusion area with tape (i use electrical tape, comes off easily afterwards!), then fill with iso/salt mixture, hold both ends and shake out the rest.

-WARNING: 99% Isoproyl will fucking DEVOUR labels, keep a good distance:)

YukonBikerGuy
07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I concur with GS, The Grunge Off Super Soaker that Bubbleman offers @ www.bubblebag.com (http://www.bubblebag.com) is a superior product, even to Iso and salt.

GO is non-toxic, no fumes (smells pleasntly of oranges, even after multiple uses) and REUSEABLE.... for 8, 9, I have even heard 12 months. Plug the downstem and pour it in the bong, let it soak, pour the GO back into the bottle, rinse the bong with hot water, and it sparkles. Every now and again filter the GO to remove particulate, and its ready to rock, over and over.

As far as slides go, GO is the best, how do you get into every lil corner of a push bowl and remove all (not most) of the resin built up and stuck in the corners with iso? Soak them in GO, rinse in hot water, and they look like they have never been used.

I just did my french friend's dry hashpipe that he had been using for 10 yrs straight w/o cleaning, under the push was completely plugged, no airflow even thru the carb hole. After the first soak and rinse, I could see thru the glass, all resin had been removed from the surface, and a 10yr old blob of resin was rollin around under the push. Thx to the GO I could break it up with a toothpick and shake it out the stem, 3 soaks and this pipe looked like it was just purchased at the headshop. I have one of those Indian waterpipes tha come in a black lined box, that had a dry resin ring at water level, sitting dry on a shelf for years, salt and iso had mostly cleaned it, but couldn't remove that ring. An overnight soak and it is now looking brand new on the shelf. everytime I come across an old piece or dirty piece, I throw it in the GO and it is always cleaner afterwards.

Grunge Off Super Soaker for the win!

colitas
07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
hedeez is right if you keep your shit clean on a regular basis you wouldn't need these super soaker cleaners
but since you do try Purple Power Ultra if that 's available in a store there reusable like GO and works without shaking on even some of the worst jobs.

Forever420
09-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I used to get the family out and clean all of them with iso & salt every weekend but that obviously had to change when I started using waterpipes. I bought about a gallon of concentrated Simple Green from walmart (7 bucks) and I submerge my dirty slides and fill my bong with it when I'm going to class, when I get home everything's sparkling clean. I recycle the solution in jars too, should last for a few months before the green starts to turn black.

Evergreen
09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I used to use ISO and salt but i now use a greener method, Grunge off and filter out the resin in the end with a coffee filter, been using the same bottle of GO for 3 months now!!

mnglasshead
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I was an iso salt guy until i was told its abrasive and i didn't like the calcium it left behind. So i did just iso, and then i tried oxy clean even (huge white stains) and finally i bought grunge off. Grunge off is hands down the easiest way to clean. You just soak your glass every so often over night or if you are like me I grunge my stuff just about every day. It is entirely reusable, destroys odor, resin build up, its all liquid (so no abrasives), no shaking required, and shit.. its bio degradable in the quantities it comes in. Throw down on the 4 pack for like 50 bucks or whatever it was when i bought it, and you will be set for a good couple years with sparkling brand new glass every morning.

Wayne
09-20-2009, 02:35 PM
After years of cleaning my glass often daily, I've found this system to work great. And it all costs less than 5 dollars for months of cleaning!

-Isopropyl Alcohol 99%
-salt
-Q-tips
-sealable plastic container
-electrical tape (if you dont own a downstem holder)

For the slides and downstems, fill container with (preferably recycled) isopropyl, and leave your slides and downstems sitting in them overnight.

Next day, pull out your slides while still covered in iso, dip you Q-tip in the iso as well, and brush off the accessible residue with EASE!

As far as your downstems are concerned, clean what you can with the Q-tips, then use a downstem holder with some iso and salt to shake out the rest.

As far as your tube goes, Ive used many mainstream "degrunging" solution. And nothing compares to the Iso/salt mixture. just shake that through for a minute and she should be sparkley!

You should never have to spend more than a minute or two tops to clean your glass again!

Here are some tips:

-Isopropyl doesnt lose potency in liquid form it is as strong as when you opened the bottle (resin in it or not), so if youre recylcing your iso in a sealed container you should be able to stretch a 2 dollar bottle for months

-Isopropyl does evaporate, so keep a lid on your container:)

-If you dont own a downstem holder, use this method. Clean and dry the exterior of the downstem, wrap the diffusion area with tape (i use electrical tape, comes off easily afterwards!), then fill with iso/salt mixture, hold both ends and shake out the rest.

-WARNING: 99% Isoproyl will fucking DEVOUR labels, keep a good distance:)

ISO and salt is great. BUT it does lose its potency and cleaning effectiveness when you have enough resin in the mix. Sometimes a bottle of ISO will last me 4 days before I have to throw it out because it starts to leave shit behind on the glass. It makes the glass look real cloudy and almost like hard water stains.

And "I was an iso salt guy until i was told its abrasive and i didn't like the calcium it left behind."

Well, its certainly not abrasive in the sense that its scratching or harming your glass. And it doesn't leave "calcium"(or anything) behind as long as its relatively clean ISO. Also, rinse your tubes with filtered water after there all clean, it will take care of those "calcium or mineral deposits left by your sink water.

ismokealotofbowls
09-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I concur with GS, The Grunge Off Super Soaker that Bubbleman offers @ www.bubblebag.com (http://www.bubblebag.com) is a superior product, even to Iso and salt.

GO is non-toxic, no fumes (smells pleasntly of oranges, even after multiple uses) and REUSEABLE.... for 8, 9, I have even heard 12 months. Plug the downstem and pour it in the bong, let it soak, pour the GO back into the bottle, rinse the bong with hot water, and it sparkles. Every now and again filter the GO to remove particulate, and its ready to rock, over and over.

As far as slides go, GO is the best, how do you get into every lil corner of a push bowl and remove all (not most) of the resin built up and stuck in the corners with iso? Soak them in GO, rinse in hot water, and they look like they have never been used.

I just did my french friend's dry hashpipe that he had been using for 10 yrs straight w/o cleaning, under the push was completely plugged, no airflow even thru the carb hole. After the first soak and rinse, I could see thru the glass, all resin had been removed from the surface, and a 10yr old blob of resin was rollin around under the push. Thx to the GO I could break it up with a toothpick and shake it out the stem, 3 soaks and this pipe looked like it was just purchased at the headshop. I have one of those Indian waterpipes tha come in a black lined box, that had a dry resin ring at water level, sitting dry on a shelf for years, salt and iso had mostly cleaned it, but couldn't remove that ring. An overnight soak and it is now looking brand new on the shelf. everytime I come across an old piece or dirty piece, I throw it in the GO and it is always cleaner afterwards.

Grunge Off Super Soaker for the win!

Ditto! :brainiac:

HeadyHashster303
10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
GO ftw!, I used to use Iso and salt, but when I first discovered GO, I realized how awesome it is, sparkling new and clean, leaving no scent...Iso and salt sometimes still smells like resiny-iso.