PDA

View Full Version : How Long Can Trimmings Stay in the Freezer?

Chickenhead7
07-05-2009, 11:39 PM
How long can trimmings stay in the freezer before usin them to make hash? Months or years? For instance if I harvested and through all the trim in the freezer and left it for a few months before I made hash from it, would it still be good? I dont see any reason why it wouldnt be....just thought Id ask, as Ive only done this twice or so.

YukonBikerGuy
07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I actually prefer to leave my trim in the freezer for at least 2 weeks before making hash. I have left it as long as 6 months with no noticeable difference.

Chickenhead7
07-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I actually prefer to leave my trim in the freezer for at least 2 weeks before making hash. I have left it as long as 6 months with no noticeable difference.

Awesome thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks for the quick response Yukon :)

fullmeltbubble
07-06-2009, 12:22 AM
i've processed material that was frozen for 6 months...and got melt

Chickenhead7
07-06-2009, 12:29 AM
i've processed material that was frozen for 6 months...and got melt

K cool both the times I did it, the trimmings were only in the freezer a few days. Next time I actually am going to HAve to keep it in the freezer for a while because Im going to be going out of town right around when I get my trimmings (aka harvest) :). Thanks for the input FMB!

nomasterace
07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I havent put my trimmings in my freezer they have been sitting in my room waiting for me to find my oil tube...is it bad that they have been sitting out (covered) for a month or two?

YukonBikerGuy
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Are you serious? Another person asking about oil on this hash site? Really? Really? There are numerous communities online where you can go to discuss solvent based extraction, this isn't 1 of them.

In any case, leaving trim out in a room (grow?) even covered, isnt storing it, its deteriorating it (beyond long enough to dry it), but you could still get some nice HASH out of it after only 2 months stored like that.

nomasterace
07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Are you serious? Another person asking about oil on this hash site? Really? Really? There are numerous communities online where you can go to discuss solvent based extraction, this isn't 1 of them.

In any case, leaving trim out in a room (grow?) even covered, isnt storing it, its deteriorating it (beyond long enough to dry it), but you could still get some nice HASH out of it after only 2 months stored like that.

Woah woah, sorry man Im not that big of a hash man myself. didnt even realize that you guys werent straight with oil. I dont get enough trimmings to invest in bubble bags and obviously dont have the know how on storing them...guess I should just stick to smokin buds huh...

OH and if your refferering to TC...lol Ill pass...

YukonBikerGuy
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry for the hair trigger on solvent, we have just had a deluge lately.
Best way to store your dried trimmings IMO is in an airtight container in the freezer. For the 1 gallon Bubblebag set, it only takes a max 28g of trim per run.... some folks get enough to run from the leafy scraps on thier rolling tray.

As to the cost of the bags..... In Amsterdam for the HT Cannabis Cup last year, fullmelt (no domes for me tho) ice water extracted hash was selling for 80 Euros ( about $100 USD) a gram... Returns on Bubblehash average 3-10%, lets assume a middling 5%....

Bubblebag 1 gallon 8 bag kit $195 (175+20 for shpn)
Trim and roling tray scraps $0
Water and Ice (make the ice)$0
Total cost for first run $195 ($200 if you buy the ice)

28g run X 5% = 1.4g hash, assume 50% is melty .7g

After 3 runs thats 2.1g of melty hash, and the bags are paid for, from every other run on, you are smoking free melty hash. Argue my numbers if you like, insert lower more conservative values, even at $50 USD/gram credit for the hash, 4 grams pays for it. Or even with a 5 gallon set if you could use 1. You can see that if you want to smoke good hash, the bags pay their own way, and then in that light, of course the investment is well worth it.

nomasterace
07-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Nice breakdown...how do you think the 4 bag set compares to the 8 bag?

jBUCKS420
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes Ive also been wondering how well the smaller sets work, as well as how efficient smaller runs of bubble are. Do alot of you use them? How do they compare to bigtime extractions using the big bags?

Chickenhead7
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes Ive also been wondering how well the smaller sets work, as well as how efficient smaller runs of bubble are. Do alot of you use them? How do they compare to bigtime extractions using the big bags?

It is all relative...the quality is not going to be any different while using any of the sets if you make it the right way.

Each set of bags has a max amount of material that you should be putting through it. If you have 10 pounds of trim and wanted to do this, then buying the 20 gallon set would be your best bet, but if you only had a pound of trim then the 20 gallon set would be overkill.

All the sets have the same size screens in terms of the size of the holes in microns so no set will give you more filtered stuff than another set will....it is all relative to the amount of trim you are working with that should determine the size bag set you want to get.

In terms of efficiency....if you had ten pounds of trim and yet got the 1 gallon bag set....you are going to be doing a shit load of runs because the bags you chose are way smaller than the amount you have. If you had ten pounds and got the 5 gallon set though it would probably go up to %75 faster just because you can put so much more material into each batch that you run through the 5 gallon bags compared to the 1 gallon bags.

YukonBikerGuy
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
In My Opinion....

If you are a smoker, saving rolling tray scraps, and occasionally splurging on an oz to make hash from, or you are doing a test batch (say to find out what bag the sweet spot will be in and gauge yield) before a large project, then the 1 gallon bag set is for you. If you only grow 1-4 small/medium plants at a time, then the 1 gallon set may be usefull. If you grow more than that, say for 1 or 2 heavy smokers (say up to 25-30 plants) then the 5 gallon set is more size appropriate. If you grow more, or plan on processing more, save yourself the labor and use a 20 gallon set.

As for a 4 bag set vs an 8 bag set...... It all depends on what you are after. If you just want to make good bubblehash, and stop wasting trim, then a 4 bagger (220µ, 160µ, 73µ, 25µ) may be good enough for your tastes. If you want the best possible chance of extracting the meltiest hash, then the 8 bag set (adds the 190µ, 120µ, 90µ and the 45µ) is much better, as it sorts the trich heads more finely.

Lets say the primo uber FMCD is in the 90µ head size. In a 4 bag, the 90µ is also mixed with the 120µ and the 73µ and all caught in the 73µ bag. If the bomb meltiness is in the 45µ head size, it is also mixed with the 25µ and caught in the 25µ bag. Mixed grades are much less likely to be melty at all, and waaaaay less likely to be FMCD (in my experience). The sweet spot will vary by strain, ripeness, growing conditions and skill of the grower. Also, each grade has a unique taste, smell, and effect when consumed that is lost when they are mixed together.

My very best Bubblehash has been from the 90µ bag, completely FMCD. If I hadn't made it myself, I would have sworn it was a solvent-extracted product, melts right down to a liquid and leaves hardly any residue on the screen when burnt. Very pure, tasty, and potent as hell. If hash of that quality interests you, get the 8 bag set, in whatever size.