PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding pesticides

crAZjoeherbizzle86
02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know if there are some particularly resistant strains to choose to purchase for vaporizing in order to avoid contaminated bud? I know you're supposed to stop using any pesticides a few weeks after harvest, but I want to be sure. As a health conscious user, I'd like to know if there is any way of predictability here, since no one wants to be inhaling any unnatural chemicals off their herb.

Thanks a lot,

Joe

hazedaze
02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I say grow your own, and grow from seed(growing from seed helps avoid geting mites hidden on clones). that way you know exactly what went in to your herb!

Limeygreen
03-20-2008, 04:55 AM
If you have to use pesticides, read the labels very carefully and they should have something about the time period to apply it before harvest. If you are in doubt, find pesticides that you feel are safe and if there is no information about application before harvest, call up the company and ask them. It might be easier to get an answer from them though if it is registered to be used on crops that are smoked.

Another thing to think about is the disease triangle. It has Environment, susceptible host and pathogen. If these three requirements are met, then you will have a problem. Good maintenance and cultural practices should significantly decrease any problems so choose strains that are suitable for your growing situation and keep an eye out for any signs that may lead to trouble, ie excessive rain, hail etc. If you choose a heavy, dense indica in a very wet and humid environment it has a good chance to mold. If inside, make sure you have good environmental controls and monitors ie adequate ventilation, good air circulation. Make sure your cropping style is suited to the plant and try to be as sanitary as you can when visiting your plants, especially if you were outside or anyone else that may be near the plants.
I hope this isn't a huge repeat of what you already know and hope it helps out.

Bubbleman
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
just pray the contamination isnt sulfur burners. Cause that transfers thru in vape, in water hash, in dry sift, and even in the dreaded O#L .

anyway my two cents

Bubble man

crAZjoeherbizzle86
04-13-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm actually not planning on using pesticides myself, I was just a little concerned about it if I ever had to find trustworthy sellers to purchase from. The thought of pesticides kind of brings me to another possibility - bugs. I know the hashmaking will effectively eliminate any bugs, when the chance to do so arises :). However, if my outdoor buds happened to contain some bugs (which I'd think is pretty inevitable), it'd be okay to just vape them straight, right? I also might grow a little indoors pretty soon. I don't happen to have a set of bags yet, but hopefully, will have enough crops to merit the need for some!

Also, would you guys say it's okay to merely bury and properly position (with the seed/stem pointed the right way, which is something I read about) sprouted seeds in your soil? This would be easier than actually growing small plants to transport to my outdoor locale. Thanks a lot for any tips.

Limeygreen
04-13-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't know about hashmaking eliminating thrips, those bastards get in where ever they are not wanted, but I'm not sure.

YukonBikerGuy
04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been using water, Neem oil and a lil dishsoap as a preventative and cure for fungus gnats, soil mites, and powdery mildew for quite a while now. Its all natural, makes leaves shine, and pests seem to hate the garlicy smell. Can use as a dip, spray or drench (with good drainage). In fact, once I started to use it, all pests vacated never to come back. Regular sprays keep the powdery mildew in check. My bro has used it as well on thrips, to great effect. I will never grow without some Neem oil on hand. Hope this is helpfull to someone.

YukonBikerGuy

Bubbleman
04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
well as good as neen oil works, i gotta say the same thing, dont use it in BLOOM.
otherwise you will have hash in the end ( if you decide to make some,) that tastes like a concentrated bowl of neem oil.
Works great in veg, but not in bloom
My two cents

Bubble man

YukonBikerGuy
04-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Hmm, I havent noticed any detriment at all, including in bloom, but at that time I apply at quite low concentrations. Also I dont apply Neem oil in the last 2-3 weeks of bloom. Mostly I'm using it at this stage against powdery mildew. Tried several things for it, with Neem oil working the best. I'd be willing to do a resultant hash test with and w/o the oil if you have another effective control agent for that pesky powdery mildew to suggest.

SUNSIMULATOR
04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Neem oil (cold press ) is the best ,, love neem for many things .

BUT i also use alcohol mixed with water ,, kills anything standing! or anything
trying to grow on plants ,, won;t hurt nuffin , cleans the leaves also ,,

i go with about 2 to 3 table spoons per gallon ,, and yall don;t pass out on me here,, but i use it in bloom also if need be,, and yes i have sprayed it on buds with trichs all over it ,, never hurt a thing ,, we checked with a scope before spray ,, and after ,, same spot .. no effect !
REALLY!

YukonBikerGuy
04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
what sort of alcohol? coors lite? crown royal? 99% isopropanol? alcohol + neem? have you used it specificly on powdery mildew?

sorry for the rapid fire, always lookin for better ways that work....

SUNSIMULATOR
04-29-2008, 01:33 AM
what sort of alcohol? coors lite? crown royal? 99% isopropanol? alcohol + neem? have you used it specificly on powdery mildew?

sorry for the rapid fire, always lookin for better ways that work....

iso . and yes i have used it with neem , but 3 tablespoons per gallon will do it ,, and like said in earlier post ,, it works on everything ,

no need for neem if using alcohol ,, 99 cent cure! can't beat it huh.

Wam
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Hello peeps this is Wamen for those who know me .. wave

seems like this is the right place to ask suggestions about a mite problem im having.. half way through flowering .
never had any pest problems before .. prevention ways seemed to work fine till now.. i prolly have soil mites. spiders, black and red
They are almost everywhere in the room.. either in the walls a little bit.. and some plants were litterally colonized by them bastards.
dont wanna waste time talking about the problem but i really need a solution before they gonna ivade the flowers..
yes i have to admit i trimmed some leafage.. i was scared when i realized how many eggs there were so i wanted to take as many as possible out of the room.

now i read sunsimulator and others have sprayed neem oil and alchool on budded plants with good results so im looking for a confirmation.
i really need to spray something as soon as possible (i spotted the infestation sunday night). i heard garlic should work fine either.. i would like to treat with something organic possibly. And i hope the smell will go away before harvest..
oh and, do you cover the pot to avoid alchool drops on the soil when you spray?

thanks in advance
wam

SUNSIMULATOR
04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
no bro ,, i don;t cover anything . mix the alcohol with plain water ,,
and when i spray plants ,, i don;t just pull it out and spray it all over , i spray under the leaves more than all over ,, but i will spray all over after i done the underside of the leaves,, mix u some alcohol up ,, and spray the plants ,, the alcohol will evaporate , and yall remember ,, we done this shit in school , with the alcohol cotton ball and the grasshopper in the glass jar! ,,

you also can give them plants a shower, bugs can;t hang on when it rains on them ,, so simulate rain ,, with shower , if u have a removable shower head thats better to spray under leaves ,, , water don;t hurt plants , or buds ,
afetr i shower them i shake the water off , back in room ,,and fans dry them out within 1 to 2 hours!

.. now using neem oil ,, not any neem works ,, i use einestine oil , or how ever ya spell it , it is high dollar ,, and if i use it ,, i spray heavy ,, more than it said to use ,, make use the leaves are coated very well , and i repeat every 3 days if mites are present ,, they reproduce every 3 days ,, so i have to get them every 3 days for 3 weeks ,, if u don;t do that they come back ,,

WAGE WAR ON THEM SOB"S

YukonBikerGuy
04-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Or..... cut it all down, make hash with it, and completely clean and disenfect (with bleach) your entire grow space and start over once the pests are gone. Sounds like a very serious infestation. Good luck.

KILL 'EM ALL

Green Supreme
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
For the mite thing you could also use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Spray the bottom of the leaves every 3 days till the plants are done. Use a wetting agent.Good luck sounds like your problem is serious. Peace GS

ps. The peroxide will brown the pistils within a few days. This does not mean the plant is done

Wam
04-29-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks for the answers guys
for tonight i made a solution with soap and garlic for a spraying session..
im now sure enough on how to do so im not using alchool for now.. but i will if i feel like the shit is getting worst.
so you say alchool would evaporate also from the soil level? or should i avoid alchool drops on the soil? i dont want them poor babes to get drunk for the alchool in the dirt you know ..

Green Supreme
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Sorry should have mentioned you probably don't want to spray garlic so far into flower. Less of course you don't mind garlic flavored nugs. Good luck. Peace GS

DNRDustin
06-06-2009, 03:41 AM
whatever mixture you wanna come up with, you "can" spray your buds well into flower with no negative effects(mold), just remember that all that moisture needs to go somewhere. hopefully not gettin trapped in the buds. this is no bueno~!