PDA

View Full Version : Why don't blowers have sites?

Frosty
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't understand why blowers don't have sites with their product lines so that confusion can be kept at a minimum for everyone interested in their art.

What is making me ask this question was a dumb friend of mine was convinced that RooR was the *HIGHEST* quality glassmaker in the world and that nothing compared to it. When I tried telling him that companies like Sovereignty, Toro, Illadelph, etc. are on par if not in many cases above and beyond Roor pieces, he searched them online but found no sites (except for Illadelph's) to look at a full catalogue, and said that companies that only do custom jobs don't count (wtf?).

I just gave up with him, but the fact that most glassblowing companies don't have official websites was still buggin me.

Is there any reason the most you'll find from anyone is a profile on glasspipes or a myspace page?

Green Supreme
07-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Paraphenalia is illegal in many states. Seems more logical for them to go to a site not directly related back to them. Plus if they had to spend time building and maintaining a site as well as all the questions, well when would they blow glass. Peace GS

fizoster
07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah most of my local blowers simply aren't interested. They would spend more time maintaining the site than the return would be worth.

Frosty
07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I see your guys' points, but I'm not talking about an intensive site that is kept up with every piece made.

I'm simply talking about a simple gallery-styled site (obviously marketed for legal use only) with dimensions, options, etc. for their many tubes/bubs/etc. In addition, an IT guy can loosely manage the site and the blower/studio can just upload a picture or two from time to time.

For the more hands-on blower who would want to be an active part of their site, a blog section could keep us up to date on projects/concepts in production and stuff of that nature.

Idk, just my two cents.

Hieronymus Bosch
07-15-2009, 06:38 PM
illadelphonline.com

This site doesn't seem very difficult to maintain. But then again, when fullmeltglass.com comes online, that's all I'll need.

SheepDawg
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
What?? I didnt know they were gonna do that...Thats sweet!!
illadelphonline.com

This site doesn't seem very difficult to maintain. But then again, when fullmeltglass.com comes online, that's all I'll need.

Frosty
07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Definitely a cool find HB. They sure do ask a lot for their glo wands though... =\

originaldutchmaster
07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
that site is complete shit, not made by illadelph... and the heavy hitter pic was taken by 521 and used without his permission... WTF

Frosty
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Oh shit a snip----

LostCoaster
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Pipes are still a grey area, and glassblowers are afraid of big brother. Seriously I think they should stop being so paranoid and stand up for what they believe in. Grow some balls, blowers. Besides glassblowers the only more paranoid folks are the ones that cook "glass" hahaha.

colitas
07-15-2009, 10:51 PM
what GS said times 2 they wouldn't have time to blow, I know one blower who's girl maintains his profile on gp and that's it, on line. you can find his ware on SMG to see some of it, but not his best = too much time to maintain. b/c in the end the blower has to arrange for the pieces to be sent to a customer( or open there own store) or photographed for the on-line comm. ...seems to me you are just making it too easy. sometimes the best knowledge is self acquired anyway, and if your friend has not the mind(open;) to hear you then just walk away...i.e.if he's not willing to look then maybe he's not open to it anyway?!

fornoone
11-22-2009, 03:05 AM
keep looking... they are out there

ja rasta
11-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Im with fornoone, they ARE there, you just have to find them...