PDA

View Full Version : First Run - I think it will be big :)

thejo1234
07-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Greetings from Auz. Ill be running my first run(s) as of next week, bags are in the post. And ill be using a makins press. Just got 3 newbie Q's:

1. What is your guess on how much 50 sandwich bags of head trim will yeild? its from more than 5 skunky plants extracted from plant via a large hand muller. Gift from a friend.
2. The stuff is fresh frozen (so ill be using a 20l until i can source an 80l) so dry weight use is 200g, so given the 1:3 wet to dry ratio i could do 600g frozen?
3. Approx how many grams does a decent sized makins coin size hash piece way.

Cheers bruthas

Green Supreme
07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
1-10% depending on quality of the material used. Yes 600 would be ok . No idea about pressed hash. I never press mine as I don't intend to ship or adulterate it. Good luck. Peace GS

YukonBikerGuy
07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I in return have some questions.

How much is '50 sandwich bags'? weight in grams please.

What's a 'hand muller'? A machine of some type? Does it bash up the trim?

In a 5 gallon kit (20L), maximum loads are 200g dry, or 500g fresh.

Which kit are you going to be using? What mixing method?

What is a 'makins press'? links? Why press your hash anyway?

'Decent sized piece' is a non specific, and a gram weight is a specific, the 2 kind of don't get along. a 1 gram piece is as big as it is. :)

Lemme know, and I'll keep on.....

Green Supreme
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Bubbleman said in chat day before yesterday that 600 grams is ok wet. Peace GS

YukonBikerGuy
07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the correction GS, I will update my brain factoids....

Puff puff pass some sweet Sister M....

thejo1234
07-31-2009, 02:23 AM
Cheers guys for the reps, the trim machine is like two large chef bowls that work on a rotating handle with a small blade so you get lots of nice head trim (as a byproduct) its used to trim the buds down to clean nugs, the wet weight of an avg bag packed was 300g. so im going to use two per run as im using a 4 bag 20l kit, im using an electric mixer on low speed. a makins press is like a hash press but just for clay (so its not paraphanalia) and it costs like 50 bucks instead of 300 it makes pieces of hash into about the size of (an aussie dollar coin) similar size to the euro, sorry if your american i havent been there yet to use your cash so wouldnt know but dimensions is about 2cm wide and you make it as thick as you want virtually, in regards to making it bubble/reserving quality do you guys have any tips? And its now 60 bags so approx 60x300g = so 18kgs?

YukonBikerGuy
07-31-2009, 06:18 AM
Ah, sounds like the SpinPro/TrimPro (depending on where you buy it), which is Bubbleman approved for not bashing up trim, yay. 18kg? nice.

A few things are key for getting the best quality hash...

Upgrade to the full 8 bag set as soon as you can, the better tools yield the better product.

Mixing method matters, the more savagely the mash is mixed, the more particulate ends up in the hash, degrading it. An electric drill with a paint mixer is the most violent, then cake mixer, hand mixing with wooden spoons is the gentlest.... in my opinion, the Bubblenow machine is the best choice, it takes all the guessing and effort out of mixing.

Mixing time counts too, a short mix gives less time for plant matter to be broken up into particulate. Many will do a short first mix to harvest the primo, 3-6 min say, and then a longer mix to harvest the volume, 10-15 min, and some even do a third time again.

A lot of folks around here just smoke the powdered hash after its dry, without pressing it at all. Unless you are going to sell, smuggle, or adulterate the hash, there really is no reason to press it. If you do, be sure it is fully dry first, bubblehash pressed wet can get mildewy on the inside and out. Interesting 'press' http://www.polyclayplay.com/Products/Extruder/ProdClayGun.htm

Yields for bubblehash (dryed) is 3-10% return.

thejo1234
07-31-2009, 08:20 AM
haha yeh 18 lol full chest freezer full ay :) good times i think, ill be giving it away to me homies ;) so thats why it will be pressed too and ill obviously have some for myself. I got them in today and have already started. the conditions are good as its cold here so the water is freezing with ice. im using a cake mixer on its lowest speed and did that for about 5 mins till it foamed nice and good. Ill have to take some pics of this i think :) didnt notice the ultimate press hey it looks bigger ill upgrade to that when i get the 8 bag one, most likely in a few months when i can do this again.

thejo1234
07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
now learnt to do it slower, with a paddle. I see this is a really touch and go task. Its gone well but a little green, why isnt it dark? Will post pics asap

YukonBikerGuy
07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't judge final color untill it is completely dry. Some greenish wet hash lightens up to a tan color as it dries.
Also I must reiterate, to get the best quality hash, you need the 8 bag set... you are missing the 'cleanup' bags that catch the 'cooking/joint grade' hash so it gets into the rest of the hash and turns it greenish...... and you are also mixing the meltiest grades with the non-melty grades further lowering your chances of the most primo hash.

thejo1234
08-01-2009, 03:40 AM
Ah k, yeh its lightened up a bit with drying, after doing about 20 odd % off leaf i got about 14grams, i smoke a fair bit last night was fair good.