PDA

View Full Version : Good sift for 10 cents!

WhiteWall
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
So I've heard about a trick from a couple of knowledgeable chatters. The trick is how to recieve a lot of dry sift involving a dime or two, your grinded buds, and your three chamber grinder with sift catcher.
What you do to do this trick is you put a dime, or two, in the chamber with your grinded buds. You then repedatly shake your grinder and slam on hand or table every now and then for as long as you want.
Now i am not arguing at all that this trick does not produce a lot of sift, the question I have is that when you do this, is the sift the same quality, or is traditonal sifting better?

~WhiteWall

DCALLSTARR
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
when i grind up my nug in my space case. after all the material has left the top chamber and has fallen through the holes into the sifting chamber, i shake the grinder around and give it a few slams on the table as well. only difference is that i do not have a penny or anything in the second(sifting) chamber.. space case gives you a glass or plastic triangle to put in the sifting chamber when you first buy the grinder but i never used it.

the method i use without the penny, just a few good slams and some shaking does wonders! i wind up with much much more keif then i would if i just grinded it without slamming it first..

hope that helps.

hashcat
08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
you are getting lower quality sift because the dime is agitating the herb around, breaking it up even smaller and forcing some of the particulate matter through the screen.

slamming it however is a nice trick to get more kief, those metal screens sure hold/hide a lot of resin(this trick also keeps your screen cleaner than not slamming)

d0rk2dafullest
08-09-2009, 08:55 PM
use to use a nickel (its bigger hvier)

Ryan.
08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah I use a nickel but I only swirl it around gently so that it scrapes the kief off the screen without turning my nugs into powder

hashcat
08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
to be honest i use to do it myself, but now i break up my bud with scissors.

i like to keep the trichomey goodness ON the nugs Im gonna be smoking. if i want extract, ill extract something.

theookiekabuki
08-10-2009, 12:41 AM
same here bro, scissors FTW

Hieronymus Bosch
08-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Yea, when you use a penny or what not, it makes your sift way greener. You yeild more, but part of that yeild increase is plant matter. As hash cat said, if you want trichomes, theres better ways to do it.

jwatts
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
dude thats nasty why would u use a dime currency= dirty, maybe its just me but i def would not use any coin. unless i boiled it or something. maybe u could go to hardware store and buy a washer or something like that. the whole putting something that millions of peoples hands touch into my weed is just nasty to me idk.

DCALLSTARR
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
oh dont get me wrong, when im breaking my plant matter by hand i use the scissors but as you and i and everyone else who uses scissors knows, resin still manages to find its way onto the scissors and makes them awfully sticky. there really is no way to get 100% of the keif off of your buds without vaping it. and even then you dont get ALL of it just very, very much THC..

theookiekabuki
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
scrape resin off them blades:p

WhiteWall
08-13-2009, 08:50 PM
thanks for all the input

BurgundyHash
08-16-2009, 02:12 AM
space case gives you a glass or plastic triangle to put in the sifting chamber when you first buy the grinder but i never used it.

im pretty sure the plastic triangle ISNT supposed to be put sifting chamber.......

its main purpose is to scrape the kief or sift
from the bottom of the last chamber

WhiteWall
08-23-2009, 05:09 AM
THe plastic triangle given to you is meant for scraping the kief.

BurgundyHash
08-25-2009, 07:50 PM
is there an echo in here?

WhiteWall
08-26-2009, 03:08 AM
you where "pretty sure" burgundy. I on the other hand am posotive....... So no i dont here any echo haha

KaptainKhronik
08-26-2009, 04:54 AM
I have the Large spacecase grinder, and when i have my coin in there and swirl it around, that thing is a straight keif factory. there is definantly more plant matter, for a greener keif, but if you are looking for pure output then you should keep the coin on the screen.

also if you like your buds ground down more completely than a single grinding stage can do, swirling the coin with the buds on the screen grinds it very finely.

BurgundyHash
08-26-2009, 07:30 PM
i wrote im pretty sure because i didnt want to flat out argue...

but for the record i was positive

Kif it Kunta
08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Every smoker should use a grinder, they are the best and most efficient way to grind up your bud for rolling or piping

those grinders with screens are only at best an introduction into the art of dry sifting...the mesh area is tiny....they are in my opinion a gimmicky little toy that eventually will end up sitting in the bottom drawer along with all the other stoner stuff you no longer use.

As mentioned above, don't use coins or whatever in the chamber, all you are doing is adding contaminants. use a magnifying glass to see what I mean. The less broken up plant matter in the dry sift, the harder hitting and more cerebral the high will be.

If you are serious about really getting into dry sifting and producing bubbling, melty hash yourself then check out Bubbleman's set of four dry sifting screens. Cost : $125, The top mesh is stainless steel 100 mesh and the other meshes are nylon , the same mesh sizes as the famous Bubble box, but the screens are larger and they interlock into each other (but there's no lid or catching plate supplied).

...see bubblebag.com > Bubble box > Dry sift screen set

here's the link http://www.bubblebag.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=67&osCsid=1766dcddeea084c9c55279b5c4ecda39

dankocalypse
09-08-2009, 12:07 AM
gives you lower quality sift, if your serious about full melt you wouldnt use a coin

BigManNew
09-14-2009, 06:17 AM
i have found that a pound works the best to make forced kief. But if you don't put a coin in there and you get kief its much better quality.

SeanMon
09-18-2009, 03:34 AM
To get the kief that sticks to the screen of my cheep stoner toy of a grinder lol,I find a fine paint brush like a water paint brush and poke the brissels down in to the screen.I also use a shot glass and scissors just take out the stems put the buds in the shot glass and trim away!

P.S. Granny always said don't put that coin
in your mouth someone could have put
that in their butt!So....

IronLung
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Gross! You put a dime or penny in the shit you are smoking?!?! That's disgusting, you may as well lick the bottom of your shoe?!

Buy some bubblebags, they're the greatest!

blackdeath
09-30-2009, 01:50 PM
i just let it accumulate overtime ... adding a coin is not necessary for high quality sift.

Bongwater420
09-30-2009, 09:34 PM
buttons u put on clothes work great much lighter

Kif it Kunta
10-01-2009, 03:24 AM
i just let it accumulate overtime

dry sifted resin is best stored in a sealed glass jar...do not leave it sitting on the tray of your grinder or bubble box or it may degrade.

buttons u put on clothes work great much lighter

define "great"

but before you do that, use a magnifying glass or loupe (15X ~ 30X work well) to check out what falls through the mesh before and after using buttons or coins then let us know. Keep in mind that fragments of leaf or stalk do not get you high, only the trichomes or resin heads do...everything else is hay, so why inhale it???

HeadyHashster303
11-20-2009, 09:47 PM
traditional sift, and No dimes/any coins FTW!!!