PDA

View Full Version : ice + smoke

freakyfoot
09-15-2009, 02:49 AM
I heard in an Illadelph video that smoking with actual ice was bad for you because you're inhaling ice crystals or something like that. Can anyone prove or disprove this statement. Also I didn't really know where would be the right section for this.

donetodeath
09-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Wow, you really need to find the video that said that, because that my friend is total bullshit. First off... ice is water, you can't inhale ice because ice is solid, all you could possibly inhale from ice is water vapor, which we all know isn't deadly. The smoke is being pulled across the surface of the ice to cool it, ice should really never even get into your body.

The only way i can possibly imagine ice being bad for you is if you have toxins in your water or something. But even in that extreme case, you'd have to put the ice in your mouth to get it in the body.

EDIT
i found someone else claiming it causes thc to re-crystalize in your lungs, which is also impossible. In order for it to crystalize in your lungs the smoke/thc would have to somehow get colder inside your relatively warm body/lungs, than it was when it was actually came out of the bong.

gbk.xscape
09-15-2009, 03:23 AM
I've heard my friends say ice is bad for you when you use it to cool down your smoke. I don't like to use it for the fact that it messes with my water levels. Can anyone add to this?

Ryan.
09-15-2009, 03:34 AM
My only thought on using ice in your bong is this...

Wouldnt cooler smoke just make the THC in the smoke less sticky meaning it wouldnt stick as quickly to the alveoli in your lungs as if you had say warm water or room temperature water

I would bet money that there are no negative health effects from ice in your bong though, nothing is going to recrystalize inside of you as donetodeath explained

flabarm
09-15-2009, 03:57 AM
I have no scientific data, but I can honestly say through multiple experiments that ice in my pieces make the hits harsher, whereas hot water makes them smoother. Has everyone who has tried both ways experienced this as well?

Ryan.
09-15-2009, 04:00 AM
I dont notice any difference when I use Ice, just a cool feeling in my mouth

but every once in a while ill put warm water in the ashcatcher and the first few hits feel really thick and nice

Honestly I dont think the temperature or what you put in the bong matters much if at all

Hieronymus Bosch
09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
I know the video, click here (http://g4tv.com/videos/21263/420-Exclusive-Inside-Illadelph-Glass-Gallery/) to see it on G4.

Essentially, he says that the ice can "frost" the smoke, while a coil will simply cool it down.

I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of the statement.

aznfknpride
09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I know the video, click here (http://g4tv.com/videos/21263/420-Exclusive-Inside-Illadelph-Glass-Gallery/) to see it on G4.

Essentially, he says that the ice can "frost" the smoke, while a coil will simply cool it down.

I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of the statement.
Probably just hyping up their own product. I dont use ice in any of my pieces for the same reason as gbk.xscape, I hate having to dump water out mid session lol.

From hanging out with the vapor heads at fuckcombustion, I learned that the warm water in the piece creates more moisture that mixes in with the smoke/vapor. Ice simply cools the smoke, but it'll still dry out your throat, unlike the warm water which soothes the throat.

carlitos
09-15-2009, 02:12 PM
i buy most of my bongs with ice pinches cause i like the look but i only used ice when i ws beggining to smoke from bongs. First of all just use your logic when its cold like winter and you breath in the cold air doesnt it like hurt a litle? may be cause im from the caribbean but still i never really enjoy it, i think the bong already cools it enought, and if your looking for a cooler smoke just ad an ac that will makeit smoother and colder into like room temperature so it wont hurt like cold smoke or sting you like it.

freakyfoot
09-15-2009, 07:50 PM
thanks guys!

chilidog332001
09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Of course they're gonna say that, they sell the glycerin coils. Clearly they are making up a lie in order to sell their product.

Nothing new in the world of business.

ripps
09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
in any case, that video is really cool.

YukonBikerGuy
09-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Studies (I swear I have seen this but cant find a link atm) have shown that using warm water (or hot) is actually more effective at filtering the smoke than cold water, in addition to providing some moisture into the inhaled smoke.

Ice cannot recrystalize in your lungs unless you are dead and your body temp is below 0 deg C, in which case you aint hitting a bong anyway.

If inhaling moisture was so dangerous, wouldnt people be having health effects from inhaling steam in the shower, suna, or steam room?

If inhaling something (air/smoke) that has been cooled was so very hard on your lungs, winter would kill people all over the planet. Where I live I can see -65 deg C, and at those temps you can indeed damage your lungs inhaling air that cold. No friggen way ice in a bong could get the smoke (or the bong itself) ever aproach anything much below 0 deg C. Or the ice wouldn't melt at all. No lung damage at those temps.

The 2 shittiest things about ice in a bong imo, are the melting ice screwing with the water levels, and the ice cubes get stinky in the throat of the bong pretty quick.

Beyond that it purely personal preference.

jBUCKS420
09-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I would like to add: How can thc "recrystallize" in your lungs when thc is never in a crystal form? a thc gland is not a "crystal", its a gland with a wax membrane and a thc center, as you all already know. This just sounds like uneducated rubbish.

Superfluous
09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
oh snap you stole the words straight from my mouth

CerealKiller
10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Use ice if you want your smoke cool. Use hot water or hot tea to warm up the hit. Done.

sibannac
10-05-2009, 05:55 AM
I like using warmer water in my A/C and cooler water in the bong and maybe a little ice no and then. Just like Yukon said the warmer water filters way better, my bong stays way cleaner with the warm water in a/c then cool water.

Just my 2 cents