PDA

View Full Version : opinion on 18-14 reducers

theookiekabuki
09-18-2009, 11:28 PM
hey FMB been looking at bowls and of course the ones that interest me most turn out to be 14 mil. was wondering yalls opinions with using a reducer; like with dragg(never used one). im currently using a 25" toro 7/13 with a SSFG circ a/c what do you think the dragg issue would be adding the reducer...

tube alone- 0 dragg
tube with a/c- has a little dragg but getting a new ac that should hopfuly get rid of that
tube with a/c + reducer- ?

ToRo Head
09-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Well first i can say DO NOT BUY A EHLE ADAPTOR! MADE MY TORO HIT LIKE SHIT!

But i do have a low profile bushing adaptor on the way from stoneglassworks so once i get that ill let u know. but im sure theirs peps on hear who already have them!

ps
I know the felling man so many 14s ive wanted that held me back but when it came to my new slide i went for it!

theookiekabuki
09-18-2009, 11:59 PM
haha yeah i know man the snic eformed slides are soo sick and would match my jehro so nicely but can only find 14s!
but yeah fa sho hit me up with how the sgw bushing works

dosman
09-19-2009, 12:00 AM
14 only makes a difference on the clear...I can't see it being a huge factor

Wayne
09-19-2009, 02:08 AM
I dont think Ill ever use another 18mm bowl.

14mm bowl with a 18-14 bushing reducer/diffy.

A bushing reducer would obviously add ZERO drag, because it really is only as long as the joint and doesn't block any airflow.

GonGsters420
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Ive been scoping the threads here on FMB for a while now and havent really been able to chime in with my two cents, but i finally came accross something i feel very strongly about, so..

when using a reducer, i feel the taste is amplified lots.. while it does add a minimal amount of drag, i think the drag plays into the taste of the hit. it helps keeps the smoke a little whispyer, instead of a chalky gross tasting orange or brown colored milk due to the amount of airflow an 18 allows for.. i prefer the hit form a 14 over a 18 any day of the week. Also reducing adapters are way more effiecient than reducing downstems, since youre able milk a 14 hit but clear it on a 18 ground.. sooo wonderful, soo quick.. plus some of the sickest slides i see are 14, it would be a shame not to enjoy a smaller joint size.

theookiekabuki
09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
ive used a bushing diffy before and it added a great deal of drag, thats why im sceptical of using the reducer, doesnt seem like it add too much dragg; not as much as the diffy but still gotta factor the ac in there. so it be drag from an ac ontop of the dragg from the bushing...hard to milk a super fat rip then clear a draggy tube naw mean.
i guess i could always just pull the reducer out with the bowl when clearing if its a bigg problem forgot about that :p

Wayne
09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
A bushing diffuser is a LOT different than a bushing reducer. Thats comparing apples to chocolate.

A bushing adapter doesn't restrict airflow at all(because its literally only as long as the joint and doesn't even really come in contact with the smoke), therefore it doesnt add any drag.

ToRo Head
09-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Got my preston lowprofile adaptor so ill let you know tonight man! but talking to preston he told me that it wont make any difference at all! cause i actually was gonna have him change joints out but my new slide was pretty pricey an he didnt want to risk breaking it so we went witht he adaptor!

ps
as of snic 14s im pretty sure he doesnt due 18s! cause i myself have looked for snics but have only seen 14s for sale and owned!

Wayne
09-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Im pretty sure Ive seen 18mm Snic slides. Quite sure I held a couple at Secrets. You might be right though. That would also be a first Ive heard of a blower exclusively using either 18 or 14. Even Opas does both :p

theookiekabuki
09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
yeah someone offereded me a plain black snic 18 mil, but im looking to get the electroformed

ToRo Head
09-20-2009, 04:03 AM
So i used my new preston lowprofile adaptor AND IM SO F$$$$$$$ HAPPY RIGHT NOW! This lil pieace just open up so many more oppurtunitys for slides ive wanted for years that i didnt get cause of the joint size! All i can say is get one asap!

toalex
09-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Got my preston lowprofile adaptor so ill let you know tonight man! but talking to preston he told me that it wont make any difference at all! cause i actually was gonna have him change joints out but my new slide was pretty pricey an he didnt want to risk breaking it so we went witht he adaptor!

ps
as of snic 14s im pretty sure he doesnt due 18s! cause i myself have looked for snics but have only seen 14s for sale and owned!

there were a few 18 snics on fmg when it first opened but that was 2 months+ ago I think

ToRo Head
09-20-2009, 10:35 AM
really crazy yea ive looked a bunch of place a month ago and couldnt find one. oh well i got a new slide yesterday that will keep me happy for a long time. d$p$e

theookiekabuki
09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
yeah i looked through fmg bf smg none have a 18mm but they do have some sick ass ones in fmg ! just wish it was 18mm but by what TH is saying im just gana have to get a reducer. got a new lurch ac on the way though so gotta save the funds for a few weeks before i dropp the 2 bills for the slide and however much the reducer is...how much you pay for that btw TH?

Glassaholic
09-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I use a bushing adapter and of course there's no added drag as the bushing adapter stays connected to the slide not the tube joint so when you clear it's still clearing through a normal 18.8 joint.

theookiekabuki
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
would a keck clip work with a bushing?

Glassaholic
09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't know, I never use them anymore, I just lock it onto the bowl with a small twist, they come off easily with a twist in the opposite direction.

theookiekabuki
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
yeah ive done that before it just scares me, seems like you could chip the joint that way

Glassaholic
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I've been doing it that way for a year now and all my slides are still in brand new condition so I wouldn't worry too much ;)

Aqua Lab Tech
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
We have some really nice Low Pro Reducers, should be up on the site tomorrow. Monday afternoon.

Aqua Lab Tech

Freebird17
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
would a keck clip work with a bushing?

yeah, but not all bushings. us tubes makes theres funny and not all of them seal air tight with a k. but then with my illadelph bushing it works fine. you need to see if the area above the joint but below the lip is wide enough for a clip to settle into

edit: yeah, i got my green glass illy rasta label diffy there ^^^(alt) and i couldnt be happier with it.

ToRo Head
09-20-2009, 09:56 PM
yeah i looked through fmg bf smg none have a 18mm but they do have some sick ass ones in fmg ! just wish it was 18mm but by what TH is saying im just gana have to get a reducer. got a new lurch ac on the way though so gotta save the funds for a few weeks before i dropp the 2 bills for the slide and however much the reducer is...how much you pay for that btw TH?

25 plus shipping so it was 31 total preston hooked it and his manager is a good guy too!

Just pm if you want his email addy!

and bro dont worry about the whole 18 thing anymore I WAS THE SAME WAY, Im SURE SOME REMEMBER ME SWEAREING I WOULD NEVER BUY A 14 AGAIN. BUT After useing this adaptor ILL ADMITT I WAS WRONG! and im so happy with this adaptor cause now i dont have to 1 spend money on a joint replacement 2 worry about breaking a slide and throwing money away!

14s with these adaptors r the SAME THING AS 18S!

ToRo Head
09-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I've been doing it that way for a year now and all my slides are still in brand new condition so I wouldn't worry too much ;)

same hear man you dont have to worry about that. i havent owned one for a year but i do it the same as if it were a diffy on roor.de! ive never really seen the point of the clip thing just a add on that coast 3 bucks or so. the only reason i would use one of those would be if i was smokeing with newbies but i dont pull out my toobs unless its peps i trust!

theookiekabuki
09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
^ haha yeah i get so sketched when people come over saying let me see the tube, let me hold it, let me hit it, ect.. one dude even knocked it against the metal frame part of my bed i though i was gana have a heart attack as well as came very close to killing him haha.

ToRo Head
09-21-2009, 11:30 PM
^ haha yeah i get so sketched when people come over saying let me see the tube, let me hold it, let me hit it, ect.. one dude even knocked it against the metal frame part of my bed i though i was gana have a heart attack as well as came very close to killing him haha.

yea man i dont even show peps my toros. only a select few have even seen my toros out of my friends. peps always ask me to see it but i dont pull it out for the adsact reason u just said. people are careless and make mistakes, an ive seen toobs break in the hands of others besides the owner. Plus not to many can come up with 1000 plus bucks to pay me back for breaking it. so at the end of the day my main toro i got from that set has only been used by 3 of my friends!

oh yea hear ya go man!
best thing i own
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=872

This lil pieace of glass allows me to use my sickest deppe slide on my new toro hops collab!
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=873

theookiekabuki
09-22-2009, 12:35 AM
thats the sickest toro inline ive ever seen bro, very nice! milk shot? pics of work? yeah ive thought the same thing what if they do break it they arnt going to pay be hundreds of dallars to replace it...haha but people stop by just to use it and thow me something in there too smoke on too so i cant complain. id probly take most of what they own it they broke it haha.

theookiekabuki
10-02-2009, 07:44 PM
just got my SGW bushing and im so glad i did! shits beefy and it truly does create the most miniscule amount of dragg...gana be getting me that 14mil snic ive been wanting for ever now :pipe: