PDA

View Full Version : Iran, Afghanistan, India?? Where was first?

MMM420SoCal
04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Who was the first culture/people to actively cultivate and harvest for hash/concentrate??

I'm thinking it must be somewhere around the middle east??

I would hope Bubbleman knows something about this.

Input appreciated.

-M3

Bubbleman
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey socal, sorry this hasnt been answered yet. I will go thru my hashish book the next chance i get and do some quoting.
I would think afghanistan myself, for hash production especialy. but ya never know its a big world out there. and i gotta admit my history isnt that great.

I forewarded this post to skunkman sam, hoping he will give us some answer's cause i know he knows.

Bubble man

Limeygreen
04-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I thought that it is thought to have started in China, in Turkestan? I remember reading about the best hash coming from a place in china.

niall
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah check our Clarke's "Hashish!" as he goes into some detail on this subject. From memory it's impossible to say, but cannabis and hashish practices seem to have started somewhere around Persia to Northern India but I remember Clarke speculating that there were probably parallel "discoveries" of cannabis and hashish extraction in the region. Certainly Afghanistan has the longest, modern hashish culture - but it was probably pioneered somewhere between Nepal and what is now a Western province of China (I forget the town's name but all of the best hashish makers were to be found there).

vodkamartiny12
09-07-2008, 03:58 AM
I read something where it stated that hash originated from central Asia, where it is also said that marijuana first populated the hindu kush mountains. Also somewhere in India where it ties in to the culture, theres also a story of an egyptian who started it. It is also said that the word assasin originated from the arabic word hashshashin which where the people who where most likely to commit murders, due to the influence of hash.

VM12

Kif it Kunta
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
There seems to be only guesses and theories where cannabis originated...the only real proof will be fossil evidence...ideally, there will be dated evidence of man processing or at least some actual connection between Man and ganja that can be carbon dated.

Just because ganja grows wild in parts of India, Pakistan and Nepal, doesn't mean it originated there, several thousand years ago, the deserts of Nth Africa were green, now it's sand dunes...the same could be said for the other locales, Central Asia, Western China etc that are supposed to be the original area where cannabis first grew and was used by Man...just because it was first written about there doesn't make it the original locale

Though it's likely that cannabis did originate from somewhere between Turkey, Nth Africa, Siberia, India and China....it's unlikely an actual specific area will be located precisely, mainly because cannabis was used by Man long before records were kept...seeded bud it was probably transported hundreds of miles each year by migratory tribes, traders, wars, brides and travellers.

Abyss Glass
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Kif - I saw on National geographic evidence of marijuana (actual perserved plant matter) found on anglo mummys dating from 5000 years ago on the central asian plains. Part of a show ' China's Mystery Mummies ' apparently these mummies contradicted perviously held theories on when whites came into contact with asain peoples.

doesnt answer the hash question, but lends merit to it having gone down in western china.

colitas
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
There was a story of a dig in China where the "king/holy man's tomb" had manicured buds in a animal skin bag next to the corpse. Dated some 5,000 B.C. I will ask a friend for a news source. Now this doesn't answer where in China(big F'n country) nor the question of glandular extraction. just my 2cents...

follow1yourpath
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Ayo Abyss! I saw the same thing or something similar, to much cali mist... so my recollection is kind of hazy.. But uh some cat was buried in a big Ol' temple, and buried with mad mad baskets of quality herb. I cant remember if I saw it on discovery or read it online. But I did see photographs of the aged cannabis.

ropesheads
04-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Hey socal, sorry this hasnt been answered yet. I will go thru my hashish book the next chance i get and do some quoting.
I would think afghanistan myself, for hash production especialy. but ya never know its a big world out there. and i gotta admit my history isnt that great.

I forewarded this post to skunkman sam, hoping he will give us some answer's cause i know he knows.

Bubble mananyone touching good sticky bud would get on their hands and its been growing a long time everywhere

ropesheads
04-25-2009, 02:47 AM
oh here is where first hash came from picker would keep what was on thier
hands and smoke it.

ropesheads
04-25-2009, 07:36 PM
i know i was the first in australia as everyone kept leaving their oil when no one wanted it so i turnt it into solid and added afgani for body.now im in the uk and i get a bar of soap for not much first thing i do is blend it and wash it through my bubblebags..its not bubble but it get rid of the crap thank buda for the bags

colitas
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
:confused:"Hashish" by Clarke says evidence is lacking on which people started true sieving, first they started with rolling the nugs in rugs and then un-roll and collect glands. Then came sieving but the exact locale is not given most likely Persia....

bubblecrack
06-06-2009, 07:31 PM
manala and parvati are indian hash hotspots. pretty much any indian kid thats smoked hash will try to tell you how magical and mystical it is and how no hash could possibly top parvati or manala cream. personally i just think its national pride since the mountain people have been making it for ages. i do not doubt the quality though

gbk.xscape
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I know this is another whole thread but what did ancient people use to make hash? We have bubblebags now that have screens with micrometer openings but they didn't have that. Just a little curious.

bubblecrack
06-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I know this is another whole thread but what did ancient people use to make hash? We have bubblebags now that have screens with micrometer openings but they didn't have that. Just a little curious.

I know a very common method in India is the traditional handrubbing method. It is a very traditional thing there and I am almost inclined to say ancient method as there will be no actual dates or eras that can be estimated.

As to which was first I would guess either Hindu Kush mountains (thats actually in Afganistan not India) or Northern India

:)

hashmanuk
07-24-2009, 02:46 AM
I have no idea where it all started but i will add that the best ive ever smoked comes from nepal im sure you have all heard of temple ball? heres somthing i found that might point you in the right direction

It is believed that hash first originated from Middle East (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Middle_East), as this region was among the first to be populated by the cannabis plant, although the plant itself is thought to have originated in the Hindu Kush (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Hindu_Kush).[citation needed (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] More reliably, it may have originated in Northern India which also has a very long social tradition in the production of Hashish which is locally known as Charas. Cannabis sativa subsp. indica (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Cannabis_sativa#C._sativa_subsp._indica) grows wild almost everywhere in the Indian sub-continent and special strains have been particularly cultivated for production of 'ganja' and 'hashish' particularly in Kerala, Rajasthan and the Himalayas.[citation needed (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] The earliest hashish was created without the use of sieves. The ancients would gently rub their palms and fingers on cannabis buds for hours while resin accumulated on their hands and then scrape that resin off. This sort of primitive harvesting is undertaken even today in the Cannabis growing farms of Manali, Naggar and Upper Himachal Pradesh.

The primary hash-producing countries are India (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/India), Afghanistan (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Afghanistan), Pakistan (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Pakistan), Nepal (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Nepal), Morocco (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Morocco), Lebanon (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Lebanon) and Egypt (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Egypt).[citation needed (http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]

Its my ambition to produce hash using the methods and strains of plants used in the above countrys as the different techniqes give a distinctive taste and buzz. i have tried the rubbing of the hands technique and its one of the hardest and most painfull the frinction from rubbing the hands together heats the trichomes in the same way as baking them in the oven, what you end up with is a verry squidgy sticky resin abit like temple ball it was verry strong tasted lovely and i found it highly addictive.

Tokez
07-24-2009, 04:45 AM
I read Nepal if anything in the asia

COOPAROO
12-20-2009, 09:09 PM
great info, thanks guys

sibannac
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
They have found dry cannabis flowers and seeds in Egyptian kings tombs, so to say it was started here or there is to hard. What if two different groups came up with there own methods then met on day shared there ideas and made a new technique.

I've read stuff that say's the chiense came up with water extraction. They would shieve the plants, then filter the hash/kief with water on the principle of density seperation.

ropesheads
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Who was the first culture/people to actively cultivate and harvest for hash/concentrate??

I'm thinking it must be somewhere around the middle east??

I would hope Bubbleman knows something about this.

Input appreciated. the first solid was got from the hands of pickers of
good resin pot.Africa was the first continate man started and durban
the rubed poison DP it was called.If you look at an old afgans hands the have it in their skin.little paddies we call the hand press.rub your hands together right now for a bit and look what you see now hold a few buds
for a bit now rub your hands and see what you get...youll never beat a hand rubed hash.each bit have white paper under hands and once you have a pile.hand press it.better the bud better the mul....

-M3guess i wrote that in the wrong place hope you got to read it..just hold some bud then rub your hands

ropesheads
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
i think the first hash came from pickers in africa.it stuck to their hands.

Cousin Red
08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
There are number of Kurgans,ie;burial mounds from the Black Sea to Mongolia,throughout the steppe region of Eurasia, that contain bodies of shamans buried with cannabis. Herodotus,the Greek historian writes of Scythians using flower tops as fuel in makeshift ritual saunas,inhaling the smoke,but the evidence from the Kurgan graves shows that cannabis use on the steppes goes back thousands of years before the time of Herodotus,roughly 500 b.c.e.

My guess that hash first arose in Central Asia as a resin based intoxicant/incense much like early opium use. It's a natural byproduct that sticks to your hands when processing the plant,and much easier to transport via horseback/foot than bulk weed.

Sam_Skunkman
03-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Not a lot of interest in Hash history it seems.
The first hashish was hand rubbed, from wild living plants then later from dried cultivated plants then sifted by beating dried plants over carpets and the fine resin falls between the carpet nap and the bigger pieces of leaf and trash stay on top of the carpet, they can be swept away. This was replaced by sifting through silk or other fabrics when they became more available. Also historically most Cannabis products were eaten, not smoked until after 1492. Extracts that were made with ghee or sesame oil from weed or later hash were very potent, made into majoun or other oral consumables.
I have 8 Cannabis seeds found in a leather/fur pouch, from the over 2,000 year old Pazyryk Synthian tomb, they were given to me by the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg.
-SamS

There are number of Kurgans,ie;burial mounds from the Black Sea to Mongolia,throughout the steppe region of Eurasia, that contain bodies of shamans buried with cannabis. Herodotus,the Greek historian writes of Scythians using flower tops as fuel in makeshift ritual saunas,inhaling the smoke,but the evidence from the Kurgan graves shows that cannabis use on the steppes goes back thousands of years before the time of Herodotus,roughly 500 b.c.e.

My guess that hash first arose in Central Asia as a resin based intoxicant/incense much like early opium use. It's a natural byproduct that sticks to your hands when processing the plant,and much easier to transport via horseback/foot than bulk weed.

irie_iwe
06-26-2015, 06:14 PM
That's amazing Sam Skunkman! I remember my mom telling me about the Pazyryk man and his seeds when I was younger and developing a fascination with cannabis. What an honor it must be to have such relics.