PDA

View Full Version : Who invented making hash with ice water?

Kif it Kunta
04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Who invented the ice water technique?

Dear readers please note : This is not meant to be a thread about Bubble bags and innovations, but rather I would like the focus to be on the question : Which region or who had the original idea for using ice water and ganja to make hash?

Was the simple ice water technique* invented in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India or in another hash making region many generations ago ..or was it first developed or invented by a Westerner in the 70's or 80's?

*no mesh screens are used, use a stick to stir ice, cold water and bud in a container, after 10 or 15 minutes stirring and a 40 minute wait for it to settle, most of the resin heads form a sediment on the bottom of the container, siphon off the water until an inch or so is left, then pour the remaining water and sediment through a fine cotton to catch the resin heads.

Dollar
04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I first heard of a water method long before bubblebags were around.. Im not sure when Mila came out with her technique but I would dare to say it was previous to that as well, Id say around '92

Green Supreme
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I would guess that Bubblebags and Iceolater were thought up by someone else and acted on by Bubbleman and Mila. I don't think either of them really take credit for the idea, I think the idea came from Sadhu Sams method. Be good if someone really in the know could fill in the spaces. Peace GS

Bubbleman
04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Sadhu sam was one of the first people to actualy offer the directions of making water hash to the world. He took out an ad IN high TImes magazine in 1987 offering to teach people the wonders of water extraction for a simple price of 10 dollars.
Here is that ad.

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///SaduSam.jpg

If you sent them him the ten bucks, you recieved in structions much like what kit it has posted in the end of his post.

Sam told me that neville had originaly told him about the concept of resin sinking in water , by an unknown american guy years prior.
I have not heard of any culture using water to seperate the resin heads from the plant matter before this.

My two cents

Bubble man

oldmanmozz
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
interesting thanks bubbleman :)
35 year ago we would bring hash back from india/nepal and was dry sifted with nepalese stamp on, in wax paper, my m8s sayin CANT get good hash in Oz,
but then they try me bubble hash, an they are hooked, i cant make nough hehehe
can i add 35 years ago pot was $35 an oz and hash $30 a gramm, now pot goes for 300-350 oz, does that make hash worth $300 per gramm?

cheers beers an bubble Mozz (from Oz) :smoke1:

p.s. I now have 60 year+ old mates who will pay 50-100 gramm for as much as i can make, (they are gonna hash there outdoor crops hehehe) an then me, my bags, ice, gonna turn up for hour or 2 lol (as ya do)

p.p.s. oh yer if dont bubble aint worth the trouble

Green Supreme
04-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Way to spread the joy oldmanmozz. Its fun to see the look in the eyes the newbs get their first time. Peace GS

Dollar
04-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Sadhu sam was one of the first people to actualy offer the directions of making water hash to the world. He took out an ad IN high TImes magazine in 1987 offering to teach people the wonders of water extraction for a simple price of 10 dollars.
Here is that ad.

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///SaduSam.jpg

If you sent them him the ten bucks, you recieved in structions much like what kit it has posted in the end of his post.

Sam told me that neville had originaly told him about the concept of resin sinking in water , by an unknown american guy years prior.
I have not heard of any culture using water to seperate the resin heads from the plant matter before this.

My two cents

Bubble man

Thanks for the memory man, I still have my old dealer mcdope game. lol.

I havent talked to sam in nearly 20 years, since I left santa cruz and moved back up to the city

Kif it Kunta
04-15-2008, 01:51 PM
the first hash I smoked was around the early 70's, I was about 14 years old. It was Lebanese, was light coloured and very hard...and the high was not as good as it was cracked up to be...I was expecting to fly on a magic carpet and all I got was an ok buzz, just so-so..ok, but not wonderful

I remember the dealer, a big brother of a distance friend, was scared stiff selling it to me I think he bought a small amoun tof hash back with him from his travels. The trouble was he didn't show me how to smoke it so I wasted the first half of it by not knowing how to break it up and smoke it. No one I knew had ever smoked or seen hash before.

I had prepaid for it and when the dealer handed me the hash and I looked at him and said "huh? WTF?..where the rest of it?" cos after buying grass and getting handfulls this little half ounce chunk looked pathetically tiny.

take it or leave it he said

I thought about being the first kid on the block with hash, so naturally I took it ..yeah hash was rare in Australia, at least around my circles

Kif it Kunta
04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
"can i add 35 years ago pot was $35 an oz and hash $30 a gramm"

I remember in the early 70's, in Melbourne when pot was $15 per ounce and then overnight it became $15 for a just a matchbox stuffed full of grass..man, I hated those matchboxes, and not just because you got 5 times less for the same price!..I use to open those damn matchboxes upside down far too many times (so all the bud fell out!) usually in a strong wind or on carpet!

Glassman
04-16-2008, 09:52 PM
In the late 1980's Sadhu Sam, who credited the discovery to Neville, "King of the Cannabis Castle," introduced water extraction in HIGH TIMES.. So, it was actually Neville that came up with it..

Glassman
04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
There is a really good article on hash in an April 2000 issue of hightimes..:)

fullmeltbubble
04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
just for the record...just because sam put out an ad...doesn't mean he invented it....for all we know heads have been doing this for ages...

Limeygreen
04-16-2008, 11:08 PM
To me it would make sense if in Nortern countries, such as Nothern Afghanistan, China, Himilayas that people were working on ice hash due to the fact they get snow and some curious person must have had the idea to try it, it can't be only in the last 50 years it has been tried I don't think. Please skunkman, let us know the missing link.

Bubbleman
04-17-2008, 04:29 AM
It was actualy an UNKNOWN american that told the information to neville. He told him that glands where dense and sink in water while the rest of the plant matter floats. Neville then told sam about it, and thus the history of water hash began.
Sure many cultures could have been using such technologies in the past, but there is no historical findings that back that up.
For now the history i know is unkonwn american, tells neville, who tells sam, and between sam and aquabob, the road was slowly paved.
Peace
Bubble man

fullmeltbubble
04-17-2008, 04:35 AM
USA USA lol.....

Kif it Kunta
06-23-2008, 03:27 AM
I wonder how much money Sam made from selling his "secret ice hash method" in High Times all those years ago?

orihime
10-04-2008, 10:59 PM
nice read. and it does make one think... i always figured it was a newer tech due to the increasing trich formation on some of the newer strains produced, but then again that is pretty presumtious of me...

redrooster
10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
High all,I have read numerous articles written prior to the 1900s that describe high quality hash has ’melting’. Hashish from such places as Boutan and China were said to be very pure and of the highest quality if they melted. These were generally dry sifted and commanded the highest price. But these were not cold water extractions.
I love hash! RR

Space_Station_Solaris
10-06-2008, 03:26 PM
acted on by Bubbleman and Mila. I don't think either of them really take credit for the idea...

When Kyle Kushman is sitting down with Bubbleman (same guy?)during the 2000 (?) Cannabis Cup, Mila stood up and was insinuating that she be credited for the water extraction. She also asked--this is not verbatim--"why do you use the ice-o-lator to illustrate the bag system?"
Story may be clearer told from Bubbleman's perspective.

To me it would make sense if in Nortern countries[...]people were working on ice hash due to the fact they get snow and some curious person must have had the idea to try it, it can't be only in the last 50 years it has been tried I don't think...

Well, for starters, Northern areas and parts of U.S./North America get snow too. What you didn't mention is that Marijuana has only been traced back to Himalayan countries; and the Middle East/Northern Africa pioneered the art of dry sift Hashish. I'm not so sure that exerting too much effort for producing pure Hashish was of any particular concern, as it is a commodity there.
I think dry sifting is much easier than throwing dry plants in a cool river bed, and expecting an easy extraction.
Modernization propelled the demand for purer Hashish. Also, recent health issues seems to be a starting point for the toxin-free Hash trend.

Peace

Bubbleman
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
hey solar space station i can give you a more accurate reading of what went on at that particular cannabis cup.
Kyle kushman and i had met the year before in switzerland, at breeder steve's facilities.
We ended up hitting it off and really getting along.
Anyway somewhere along the line Kyle wanted to write an article on BUBBLEHash, and BUBBLEBAGS. He put a nice article together, but instead of asking me for photos, he got his photos from SOMA.
Now soma is a good cat, and a good friend of milas. So not to create disharmoney he never really spoke to much about using bubblebags. In fact i am pretty sure when i came over to his place, he always had his bbags hanging, but i've been told that when mila came by or friends of hers, he would hang her bags.
basicaly in the end Soma claimed to use BOTH SETS of bags. But back then the energy between the ice o lator company and bubblebags wasnt super good. I had no problem with her, but the company ie ice o lator, had a big problem with us.
fast foreward to the cannabis cup where kyle has been given an opportunity to do something a little different, They let him host his own hour long show , and tell him its going to DVD.
Kyle asks me to go on the show and talk about trichome's etc. I say sure dude no problem>
however there was a problem, the room we got set up in to do the interview/show, was also the same room that mila had set up her table to do sales.
The show started with Myself, the girl who was on the cover at the time, and maybe soma or someone else, i can't remember. I do remember that i spoke first, and then left the rom> It wasnt until a half hour or more, ( towards the last ten minutes of the show), that mila FINALY got up and took the mic. apprently she was pretty pissed, about the fact that kyle used photos in the BUBBLEON article that were taken by soma, and as she claims MADE BY THE ICE O LATOR BAGS. Thus her statement, why do you show ice o lator hash, to show the bubble bag process. She was under the presumption that the hash was made with her two bag system, where as soma had told me at least he made it with bubblebags. I personaly have never seen a hash of that quality come out of a two bag system but hey , an honest mistake.
Funny thing was, while i was up on stage, one of my best friends was sitting next to mila and watching her get madder and madder. I felt pretty bad, but leave it to high times to make it look like we had an arguement or that there was negative energy>
It was quick and simple, i wasnt even in the room when she took the mic, but i can say this, HT edited it to make it look very much like she was getting mad at me right after i spoke.

anyway my story, i like to think that mila and myself have put any of this energy behind us, but i guess we'll see this year at the cannabis cup...

Bubble man

Space_Station_Solaris
10-06-2008, 10:59 PM
You laid it down very pure and simple. Thanks.

So, a complete misunderstanding on her part, in reference to the origin of photos. She looks like a mean one, though. And boo @ High Times' editing of that clip!
It seems like Kushman was caught in a web of shit, concerning a matter of mistaken bags used...
Never trust a pixelated rendition of previously recorded video.

Bubbleman
10-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Yeah totaly dude, in all fairness to mila, she truly thought the hash made, was made with her bags, due to her friend telling her it was.
So can't blame her there, but did she have to get up in a room full of people and emberass kyel, probably not.

Either way its all good now...

Bubble man

ropesheads
01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
im 59 and smoked my first real good hash over 40 yrs ago in Paddington thanks to kelvin mac.....oldest underground family in sydney and have been in a lot of hash making countries and have tried to make good hashish since the sixties.people would leave me there oil no one new what to do with i put it in herbal tea made solid mixed it with afgan people loved it..but i tell you one thing no one untill the bubbleman has done so much for the forward progress of the oldest art.just hope he gets left in peace to keep it up..and stay in the human race as he has apart named after him.take it easy bubbleman and do your own thing and forget the wantabees you done it.good on ya. ya bokersmatie

ropesheads
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
lenny fisher from MULLUMBIMBI NSW AU was on the run from viet nam and hid out and was always making some water type hash extraction and mushrooms.went and saw him in mullum hospital a few year ago a drunk had hit him on the leg.lenny still as mad as ever gave him some leaflets and a bubbleman hoodie with seans mushrooms on it.he loved it god bless lennie for standing up to the government of the day.he still hang out at Mullumbinby nsw go there and try some old mullum madeness famous

GreenWithEnvyHydro
08-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Would anyone be willing to comment on Reinhard Delp and his Patent for cold water extraction?
here is a blog that explains what I have heard..
http://www.cannabisfarmer.com/web/node/40