PDA

View Full Version : Alternate techniques

bubblepap
04-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Evening all,
I was hoping someone might like to hear about a technique I'm trying. Any feedback would surely be appreciated. A little about my technique.
Like many people I've had trouble finding suitable sized buckets in which to run my 1 gallon 8 bag kit, so here is what I came up with.
1) I start by running my ice bath in a Coleman 2 gallon water jug that does a great job keeping the bath nice and cold. This step is done without any bags and is usually run for 15 to 20 minutes on medium agitation with a hand mixer.
2)The "brew" is then poured thru the 220 bag only into another work bucket and allowed to settle for about 30 minutes.
3) After the contents of the 220 bag are discarded the "brew" is then poured yet again into another bucket containing the rest of the bags in the 8 bag series.
4) I then usually immediately begin to remove the bags and process the product.
5) By the time the process is completed the mix may have been poured back and forth 4 to 5 times between various buckets.
And now for the questions....
Does anyone see anything wrong with pouring the mix so many times and avoid actually mixing the trim in the bags? Does excess agitation like that cause damage or destruction of the trichomes?
Would getting distracted and leaving the bags sitting for extended periods soaked with ice water cause damage to the bags or degradation of the product?
I often have TOO much going on and can not always get back to the bags as fast as I'd like.
Would it be very foolish not to have all the time I need set aside to finish the job? In other words, in a pinch, if a batch is left overnite in ice water in the bags have I ruined the product, or bags, or both?
Love the site and all the help people are willing to give. If anyone has any thoughts on my techniqe I'd love to hear it.
(P.S. The coleman 2 gallon water jug works great whether with or without the bags. It's just the right size to hold the entire 1-gallon 8 bag set.)
Peace, Bubblepap:smoke1:

Green Supreme
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
The more you agitate the material the more green matter that gets broken up. The more broken green matter the size of heads, the more contamination that can enter your hash. Good luck. Peace GS

Bubbleman
04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I would only add that i have found when i pour the material from one bag to another, i worry about the surface area of screen> Let me explain
when you let it settle in a bucket, it has the entire surface area of the screen to settle down thru. But when you pour, you concentrate everytyhing into one small area, ie all the hash pour's thru the small stream of water. I feel you could lose some valuable heads in the larger micron size bags, by the contaminant trapping the resin heads from reaching the next screen.
I prefer putting all my bags inside one another and allowing the hash to settle thru each one simaltaneously.

peace
Bubble man

Green Supreme
04-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Good point man, never even considered that. Peace GS

Bubbleman
04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah well the surface area of the screen is there for a reason> USE as much of it as possible. EVen when i use my bubble now, to drain into the bucket, i like to split the water so it pour thru out the screen, rather than thru one single section of screen.

My two cents

Bubble man

bubblepap
04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I do pour the the final "brew" into all 8 bags at once so the stream is not really concentrated in that way. So at least I got that part right :) I do seem to get a lot of green material on some runs so it probably is from to much agitation. Be gentle with those heads, I've learned! Thanks again for the replies.
Peace, Bubblepap

YukonBikerGuy
04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Just a personal note, dunno if its good or not, but it seems to work for me..... To help the trichromes settle out, I often duct tape a small orbital hand sander (cheapo from CanTire) to the side of the 5-gal bucket to give it some hi-freq vibration to help the tric's settle down through the ice and material, then a final 'still' settling period before processing. Still doing all mixing etc in the 1 bucket at this point, saving for a Bubble now......

Bubbleman
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I have played around very little with ultrasonic vibrational extraction system. I am sure there is something to it, but with the water hash process. I never found it to do much .
IN fact my quality or yeilds didnt move when i tried a simliar thing with a paint shaker ( on low) However i did see a huge change when i went from a cake mixer, to a hand mixing with spoon. AS well i saw another nice difference mostly in yeild, when i started using the bubblenow.
Trying new and improved methods is a great way to figure out the next best thing in my opinion, but unless your going to compare it to the old method, Ie Map your work.
YOu will never know wether or not its improving your skills.

My two cents.

Bubble man

fizoster
04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Bubbleman,

Do you get a much higher yield with the bubblenow? I'm starting to get tired of the wooden spoon lol and I'm thinking about ordering one. A higher yield would just be all the more reason for me to get one.