PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Tightens the Leash On Random Sniff Searches

Green Supreme
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
From yesterdays Province newspaper in Vancouver. Sorry not smart enough to move the article here. Peace GS

Bubbleman
04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Just a rightclick COPY and a right click PASTE and your done.

Supremes tighten leash on random sniff search
Janice Tibbetts, Canwest News Service
Published: Sunday, April 27, 2008
OTTAWA -- There will likely be a lot fewer scent-sniffing dogs routinely sticking their noses in public places following a Supreme Court of Canada ruling Friday that tightened the leash on police powers to use the canines for random sweeps.

In its first pronouncement on sniffer dogs, the court sided 6-3 with a high-school student from Sarnia, Ont., and a Vancouver man who was caught with cocaine in his luggage at a Calgary bus terminal.

"We're no longer going to be able to show up and randomly search," said Tom Stamatakis, vice-president of the Canadian Police Association.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****In both cases, police violated the Charter right against unreasonable search and seizure by allowing their dogs to embark on general sniff-searches of a school and bus depot without more concrete reasons to suspect drugs were present, the Supreme Court said.

The two rulings are expected to end routine searches in public places like schools and bus and train stations. The decisions, however, are silent on airports, where police dogs routinely sniff the luggage of passengers entering the country.

Schools in the St. Clair district routinely invited police and their sniffer dogs to root out drugs until a teen identified as A.M. challenged the practice after his arrest on drug charges at St. Patrick's Catholic High School in 2002.

During the search, students were confined in their classrooms for almost two hours while police searched the school, including backpacks piled in a corner of the gym.

After a signal from a sniffer dog, police zeroed in on one backpack, in which they found 10 bags of marijuana, 10 magic mushrooms and assorted drug paraphernalia.

The Supreme Court majority said that the sniff-search violated A.M's rights, saying that students are entitled to the same expectation of privacy in their backpacks as adults are in their purses or briefcases.

The court also ruled 6-3 in favour of Gurmakh Kang-Brown, who was caught with 17 ounces of cocaine in his luggage after RCMP conducted a random search with a sniffer dog at the Calgary Greyhound Bus depot six years ago.

Bubble man

SUNSIMULATOR
05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
hell yea bro ! nice them damn dogs are dumb as hell anyway ,, they should never let this take place ,, i caught a charge because of a dumb ass dog ,, cop said he will bark if anything is in the truck ,, well god walked around the truck and sit down ,, didn;t bark untill the officer gave a command,, then he said im going in your truck ,, and well he found my 1/2 oz of weed,, now that damn dog sat ,, didn;t bark while walking around or did he jump all over my truck raising hell lik ethe dogs do when they do find something. i have walked up to drug dogs with 2 oz in my pockets and the dogs just waggin their tails ,, licking me,, and i had 2 oz of ecsd in pockets ,, the officer smelled it , dog didn't ,, Luck has it the officer was my cuszins husband,
he knows i get high ,, and he knew i was testing the dog ,, dog failed , cop smelled it about 30 ft away ,, lol so DOG was stupid .

now not all dogs are as stupid ,, but either way ,, if it isn;t in public view .
and the cop can;t see it or smell it ,, what gives them the right to havce a dog ,, we have the right to do what we want , as long as it isn't in the public eye. and if the cop don;t know it is there ,, that means it isn;t in public view,,

rant rant rant ,, they just all jealous we having fun and gettin high and loving life,, that them old fucks problems ,, we just young and love to live!

im still smoking ,, and still gettin high ,, and still growing ,, they never fixed or stopped anything,, they made it worse.:cool1: