PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy

Tobybologna
10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
What's up, trying to make a tough decision at the moment. Got some dough to blow, definitely want to get my first Toro, but obviously price is of some importance to me. I'm in Memphis TN so the chance of finding one in a shop is somewhere between unlikely and impossible, so you can imagine I was pretty thrilled when a friend told me he had a Toro from back in the day he wanted to get rid of.
It's a straight pedestal tube with ice pinch and a worked section by Frito, probably blown in 2006. It has a single dome perc with about 6 uneven slits in the bottom- not the most heavy duty work in this respect. It's got an 18.8->18.8 toro diffy in it, with like 6 diamond cuts. To me it seems like a tube worth getting a matching custom diffy/bowl combo if I were to get it and it would be a real trophy-looking piece, but all in all not a real home-run in the rip department.
He wants 300 for it, which I don't think is bad. Opinions? I'll get pics next time I go over there, maybe as a proud owner.

follow1yourpath
10-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Sounds tight and all, but if it's not floating your stone in the rip department, then why buy something that you don't like the function of? I mean you can definitly find something you'll dig the hell out of for 300 online.

Tobybologna
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds tight and all, but if it's not floating your stone in the rip department, then why buy something that you don't like the function of? I mean you can definitly find something you'll dig the hell out of for 300 online.
Yeah I haven't even hit herb out of it yet just felt it with my thumb and lifting and whatnot. Does anyone have experience with these old Toro dome percs?
I guess I'm a whore for aesthetics; I've got some nice tubes already, but no Toro's, and they're the best looking for my eye so far...

ja rasta
10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Rip it first man. but if it rips, buy it for $300 especially with a sick Frito section.

hyhyz
10-31-2009, 11:37 PM
well, it depends how much you want to "blow" on it. cause it sounds like you want a deal, but a toro at the same time which is not impossible, but hard. i mean obviously if yo uwant a two chamber stemless from toro these days you're looking at least 600 if not 700 depends how desperate ppl are for the money.

Tobybologna
10-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys. A stemless is out of my price range unless it's used and if they're posted on here they're basically at new price. So I'm really more asking to see if anyone has experience with older toro's, esp. dome perc toro's from 06 & 07, as far as quality and whatnot goes.
At the moment I'm thinking go ahead and get it, maybe try to get a hold of Frito for some add-ons, assuming I like the rip.