PDA

View Full Version : wher did i go wrong ?

gunpowder
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi volks ,

My english is not that good so forgive me...........

I tried to make some ice-hash from kif left over < note this: the left over already had an dry sift and i took out the 1st 2nd and 3th Quality out of it.................still i can see the fine powder on the left over so i want to know if it's possible to do 2 jobs with one plant the dry an wet sift:

after all it seems i did something wrong fot 2 times or its not possible to do both the sifts , this is how i started the job :

first 20 gallon bucket filled 70% with ice cold water , placed the 220 bag , 500 gram (20 x so its 10kg of plant) of kif left over (cutted dried plant) + a lot of ice cubes

i mixed it slowly with a drill for about 10 minutes , it becames to bubble (a lot of bubbles ) after the drill i let i to sink for 10 minutes .

after this i took out the 220 bag and made another ice cold bucket with the other bags .............. 160, 90 , 70 , 45 ,25. all bags had there yellow/green hash in it .

after a dry period of one day it seems to work i had an totall of 100 grams hash ............ ........ i tried to smoke the 25 dirty as hell , tried the 45 also shit and stinky........gave my friend the 70 and the 90 also not smokable .

where did it go wrong ? from 10kg left over to 100 grams of ????

next time i will post some pictures about this thread.

cheers.............

Evergreen
11-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey gunpowder,
welcome to FMB first of all.

The reason that you may be experiencing problems is:
taking out the highest quality of the dry sift before you make bubble will definitely lower the quantity of the good bubble in the end after running the dry sift through the bubble bags.

How did you dry it?? did you just scoop it onto cardboard and let it dry?

I like to pull the wet bubble out of the bubble bags, put it on the drying screen provided with the kit and lightly press a majority of the water out of it.

Be careful not to press it to hard or you could decarboxylate it, that means breaking the wax membrane surrounding the trichome and letting the essential/psychoactive oils leak out, spoil and bond with the water molecules. Once that happens it is almost impossible to remove the water and completely dry out the hash. that usually end up with moldy bubble hash.

I like to GENTLY press the bubble once removed from the bags and then feather it out (make sure hands are clean!) onto some cardboard with my fingers and let it dry for at least 48 hours, then i place it in a container and cure it for about 30 days, don;t forget to open the jar at least once a day to let stale air out and fresh air in.

Here are a few pics:

Here is what it should look like after "feathering" it out onto cardboard after pulling from the bags.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o55/ekahn81/P1015887-1.jpg
Uk Cheese cured for 30 days
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o55/ekahn81/P1016125.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o55/ekahn81/P1016126.jpg

Hope that helped a bit.
Good luck!

YukonBikerGuy
11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I think the key here is the starting material. 'Leftover' material that had already been drysifted 3 times.

I believe you mean the traditional Moroccan way of collecting dry sift, which involves powdering the hell out of both male and female cannabis plants (sometimes not fully ripe) including sticks, stems, seeds and leaves, and working the material to collect the kif. The best dry sifts and bubblehashes come from unseeded sensimilla. By the time you have collected the first 3 qualities of dry sift, the plant material is very broken up, and that is the main problem you are having.

The bubblebags are designed to seperate the trichome heads by size, but any particulate matter (the powdered cannabis) that is of the same size will also make it through with the trichomes. They will do just as good a job at sorting out the particulate matter by size as well, but it is mixed in with the trichome heads you are trying to collect. This makes for hash that is not pleasant to smoke, as you have noted.

Also, by the time the material was dry sifted 3 times, I'd bet that the majority of the tricome heads had been removed with the kif, and most of the 'fine powder' you see on the leftovers is plant dust and trichome capitulate stalks. So basicly the hash you collected is what was left in that material, plus the powdered particulate.

If you 'gently' dry sift material for 'first quality' without breaking up the plant matter too much, from cleaned sensimilla, you will obtain AAA quality drysift, and the following grades will not be as good. Bubblehash is similar; the more you work the material, the lower the quality is each time, and if you use top quality starting material, you get top quality end product.

Try to do a gentle first quality dry sift without powdering the material, and then a bubblehash run and you should be able to get 2 smokeable products. The particulate matter is the bane of bubblehash, in my opinion.

Traditional kif and hashmaking methods that have been used for many generations are reliable, and well known processes that traditional hashmakers are loathe to move away from. Modern hashmaking techniques mostly focus on improving the potency of the final product, by tailoring every stage of production from growing of high quality sensimilla using known quality genetics to collecting just the trichome heads without contaminants like dirt, powdered plant material, ect.

I am pretty sure that most folks in your region consider bubblehash 'experimental'. So keep it that way untill you get good at it, a fun smokeable experiment. If you really want to try some excellent bubblehash, try collecting some unseeded, as ripe as possible females, and use them fresh, not dried to make bubblehash with. Treat the material gently, use a short mix time on the first mix. That is the 'first quality' bubblehash.

Drying properly will help the taste as well. I never press wet hash at all. Just gently feather it apart with a knife on cardboard to dry. Moisture left on the inside of big pieces of hash can make it get a lil musty and unpleasant on the inside.

I just read a great article on Kif from the Rif in Cannabis Culture magazine April/May 2003 issue #42.... Between that and your post from Morocco, I have an urge to light up a sebsi and try some real kif......

Hope this helps some, looking forward to the pictures. :)

YBG

Bubbleman
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah my advice would be ... get some TOPS... and run those..
Running smashed and pulverized plant matter especialy with a drill... will pretty much produce a low quality end product everytime.
i had a friend produce some beautiful melty hash from the Rif. some years back. using a water extraction process.
The hash melted and many who smoked it enjoyed it... however that being said.. i still did not enjoy it that much... as i have never been a big fan of the morrocan hash.

However that being said.. with the sun and the rif... you should be able to produce some nice melty bubble if you start with the right material>>
Also do a much lighter mixing.. i used a fence post while in jamaica.. never a drill...

Good luck with the project.. and let us know if you can upload any pics.. would love to see..

thanks for sharing

Bubble man

gunpowder
11-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I made in the last summer very melty bubblehash using bubblemans method

with fresh kif it gava a yield of almost 5% instead 1 % dry sift ,

Hieronymus Bosch
11-09-2009, 06:30 AM
These are the kind of threads I love to read. Nice!