PDA

View Full Version : Federal Agents seize bongs at L.A. Harbor listed as Christmas ornaments

RooRiTuP
11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Cops stole mad fucking glass!:(
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/11/christmas-bongs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalGbC7PT6Y&feature=player_embedded

OnlyHighGrade
11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
cool. this country all ready had way too much china glass. let's give the game back to the real artists.

lepstadder
11-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Regardless of the quality if the glass there is a larger issue at hand, I am sure your statement was made in jest but that was a persons livelyhood that was siezed

cheesebox
11-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Thats a wholesale import order of phony bongs. Fuck his livelihood go back to importing fake zippos

lepstadder
11-20-2009, 09:55 PM
phony huh,

Not everyone can afford a 300 pipe,

That market for those types of pipes fills a niche in the counterculture economy, just because they are import mass production peaces does not mean that they are going to assholes.

Good people make money off of foreign made product.

Its hard when the unemployment rate reaches over 10% in many states.

Unfortunately we live in a world where some are privileged and some are not, some humbled and others not so much.

That is why we have mids and heads, top shelf spirits and well liquor, Cadillacs and kias.

So please, next time you are looking down the end of your one of a kind colab, let your judgment for those who's months salary doesn't equal the value of one of your pipes, go up in smoke.

Kudos
11-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Thats a wholesale import order of phony bongs. Fuck his livelihood go back to importing fake zippos

Phony bongs? Did you even watch the video?

Yes they were Chinese glass, but not a single one of them had a label trying to imitate itself as another glass company.

It really just shows your arrogance when you make a statement like that.

And saying "Fuck his livelihood"? Come on..... now you're showing that not only are you arrogant, but you're ignorant! Do you really think someone deserves to have thousands of dollars of merchandise stolen from them because they purchased it from another country?

I'm not really sure if you realize this, but some people prefer to spend $20-$50 on some cheap prodo pipe from another country, instead of spending $100+ on something made in the US which is still *GLASS* and they still can BREAK.

*Note, I only own American made glass, I'm simply stating that some people don't have the money/don't care to spend that much on it. I'm sorry for this long post, I'm just appalled how some people react to other people's misfortunes....

cheesebox
11-20-2009, 10:03 PM
American prodo exists, next time your smoking your china child slave labor piece please grow the fuck up guilting people. Perhaps you assume im rich or misconstrue my financial status, as the one wonderful collab I own cost me a good months salary if not slightly more. If theirs a will theirs a way tho and I saved up. Fact check b4 you post something presumptuous and fake, as fake as those bongs.

mmk and Kudos, Same point, shit is made in a Chinese sweat shop STOP SUPPORTING CHILD LABOR, its a global economy you can choose who you buy from

Kudos
11-20-2009, 10:08 PM
American prodo exists, next time your smoking your china child slave labor piece please grow the fuck up guilting people. Perhaps you assume im rich or misconstrue my financial status, as the one wonderful collab I own cost me a good months salary if not slightly more. If theirs a will theirs a way tho and I saved up. Fact check b4 you post something presumptuous and fake, as fake as those bongs.

mmk and Kudos, Same point, shit is made in a Chinese sweat shop STOP SUPPORTING CHILD LABOR, its a global economy you can choose who you buy from

Exactly, so quit talking so much shit about Chinese glass :)

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum realizes it's vastly inferior to American/Canadian/German/Whatever glass.

American prodo pipes do exist, but they still cost 2x as much as Chinese production pipes. Not everyone is extremely careful and can keep glass forever.... I have friends who break pipes within a few weeks of owning them, and it would be rather stupid of them to continually invest in expensive glass ....

ganjalicious
11-20-2009, 10:37 PM
customs took (would of been) my first g-spot gong pipe. i'm not supporting china glass (if thats what it is) but I feel for the person which it all got taken from.

and its funny how worked up and angry some people get. just be cool people.

Erzant
11-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Can someone please inform me as to how this is at all legal for them to seize unused glass..?

Kudos
11-20-2009, 10:44 PM
customs took (would of been) my first g-spot gong pipe. i'm not supporting china glass (if thats what it is) but I feel for the person which it all got taken from.

and its funny how worked up and angry some people get. just be cool people.

I don't mean to seem worked up or angry. I just fail to understand how someone can make the exact statement "Fuck his livelihood" without knowing the person.

I could understand if it was a rapist, murderer, or thief..... but someone selling glass?

Edit: Erzant, I'd assume it was because they had labeled them as Christmas ornaments. They may have had to pay more taxes to ship the bongs in..... if they'd even be allowed to ship them in.

Erzant
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
damn, hopefully the seller will be able to pay a minimal fee and get his glass back.. a terrible thing to have happen : / even if it is some shitty glass

lepstadder
11-20-2009, 11:20 PM

First off i assume nothing,

My intention was to try and show a different perspective on the issue, in an educated and tactful manner.

Now i do totally agree with stopping child labor,

but to assume anything coming form china supports child labor is ignorant.

And if you for real only eat locally grown and organic food, dont use plastic, or buy anything that has ever even crossed a developing country, then i will be proven a point by someone who is truly a better person than me.

chilidog332001
11-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Can someone please inform me as to how this is at all legal for them to seize unused glass..?

Because they're illegal to import or to possess in the united states. Federal law, mang.

TheNew
11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Woohoo! Less crap to sift through on the FS section.

ganjalicious
11-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Because they're illegal to import or to possess in the united states. Federal law, mang.

not questioning this statement, I'm trying to figure out where the loophole is for this, in which headshops can sell these in the U.S. I know (at least in south fl.) headshops years back got raided for this and that, but there are still a decent number around selling their 'waterpipes'. I just figured a water pipe would be okay, due to the fact that some smoke their flavored tobacco products through (hookah as a broader example).

when customs seized my piece (in N.J.) they sent me a letter saying I can come and fight for my property (which at the time I just said F it and let them have it) or I can just forfeit (what I did) my property to them. nothing in the letter really said it was flat out illegal, but obviously not encouraged. I guess my question is, is a clean piece of smoking glass, illegal in the states just due to what it could be used for?
(and I know i can google and search around for a long time, just wanted to see what was up on FMB before I did this.)

and to edit* kudos, I was referring to where everyone jumped on the case of 'fuck china glass'. I understand its inferior to american (which is why I love and am thankful for my toro), but for those who said fuck that dude that they were going to... like said, people have to make a living, doesn't mean because he sells bad glass he is a bad person.

bottom line: i wish these pipes were taken from tony from goodstash, not someone who might of been an honest businessman just doing his thing.

Stonedpanda
11-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Customs is finally good for something.

ja rasta
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
We all have to make a living.

Abyss Glass
11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
not questioning this statement, I'm trying to figure out where the loophole is for this, in which headshops can sell these in the U.S. I know (at least in south fl.) headshops years back got raided for this and that, but there are still a decent number around selling their 'waterpipes'. I just figured a water pipe would be okay, due to the fact that some smoke their flavored tobacco products through (hookah as a broader example).

when customs seized my piece (in N.J.) they sent me a letter saying I can come and fight for my property (which at the time I just said F it and let them have it) or I can just forfeit (what I did) my property to them. nothing in the letter really said it was flat out illegal, but obviously not encouraged. I guess my question is, is a clean piece of smoking glass, illegal in the states just due to what it could be used for?
(and I know i can google and search around for a long time, just wanted to see what was up on FMB before I did this.)

and to edit* kudos, I was referring to where everyone jumped on the case of 'fuck china glass'. I understand its inferior to american (which is why I love and am thankful for my toro), but for those who said fuck that dude that they were going to... like said, people have to make a living, doesn't mean because he sells bad glass he is a bad person.

bottom line: i wish these pipes were taken from tony from goodstash, not someone who might of been an honest businessman just doing his thing.\

sorry i didnt read ur whole post but i saw loophole:

the loophole is theyre supposed to import the bongs WITHOUT the gong joint, either just the tube or just hte perc section then the joints added in the states

thats how they get around it

this is a windfall for the US glass manufacturers, the chinese severly deflate the value of glass and make customers falsely question the motivations of local blowers. I buy UST and Simax glass, it costs literly 2-3 times as much as the shitty raw chinese glass. Not even addressing the talent of the lampworker vs factory china worker, the quality of the initial material is so subpar its destined to break. I love china, but fuck china when they try to take our jobs with a watered down product

Bongwater420
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
sad...

chinese but cool lookin

im dumb enough to buy one lol

Abyss Glass
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM

Yes they were Chinese glass, but not a single one of them had a label trying to imitate itself as another glass company.

the labels get put on in the states, even the companys using chinsese manufacturers dont trust em enough to let them do the labels....

the china effect turned the glass scene in LA racist, everyones paraniod to show anyone who even looks asian anything 'cutting edge'. Everyone sarcasticly makes comments that 'we cant let him in too deep, he'll run off to china and start putting em out' i've heard this statement countless time from artists and headshop owners, everybodys lively hood is threatends. Its about time we got protectionist about it, fuck theres a punitive tariff on tires why not bongs?

m_hop
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
has anybody seen the brand Koch?

ganjalicious
11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
\

sorry i didnt read ur whole post but i saw loophole:

the loophole is theyre supposed to import the bongs WITHOUT the gong joint, either just the tube or just hte perc section then the joints added in the states

thats how they get around it

this is a windfall for the US glass manufacturers, the chinese severly deflate the value of glass and make customers falsely question the motivations of local blowers. I buy UST and Simax glass, it costs literly 2-3 times as much as the shitty raw chinese glass. Not even addressing the talent of the lampworker vs factory china worker, the quality of the initial material is so subpar its destined to break. I love china, but fuck china when they try to take our jobs with a watered down product

that is interesting in the loophole, makes sense. And if these are coming in to be marked up as fake american china product, then I take down my previous statement about feeling bad who they got seized from.

LuketheSifter
11-27-2009, 07:50 PM

It really just shows your arrogance when you make a statement like that.

And saying "Fuck his livelihood"? Come on..... now you're showing that not only are you arrogant, but you're ignorant! Do you really think someone deserves to have thousands of dollars of merchandise stolen from them because they purchased it from another country?

I'm not really sure if you realize this, but some people prefer to spend $20-$50 on some cheap prodo pipe from another country, instead of spending $100+ on something made in the US which is still *GLASS* and they still can BREAK.

*Note, I only own American made glass, I'm simply stating that some people don't have the money/don't care to spend that much on it. I'm sorry for this long post, I'm just appalled how some people react to other people's misfortunes....

If those bongs are off the market its better for everyone......
and whoever was going to buy them deserves to get them taken away....because all they were doing was ripping off 2 parties by using chinese labor and then shipping it to america to charge WAYYYYYYYY more then actual value..

Either/or they arent worth shit...then some ass at a headshop rips off an unsuspecting customer for $200

To whoever got these taken away from them i say "HAHAHAHA serves you right importing shitt"

And i Second the "Fuck his livelyhood".....whoever bought these intended to rip people off by importing..and i dont think that should be supported

and i think your the ignorant one for argueing for the other side....

BigManNew
11-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I say you get what you pay for, if you buy mass produced shit made in china, its gonna be shitty. i know some one said that some people can't afford good glass. well if you save up and buy a nice piece of glass ur gonna get your moneys worth.
Whenever you buy a piece of glass from out of the US you aren't helping the struggling economy.

When you buy a good piece of glass not made in china it will give back to you time and time again.

China=shitty
Handblown, artist made, everything else (to some extent)= good glass

ja rasta
12-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Hopefully that someone still has money in the bank and is not like some idiot investing ALL of his or her money. Importing chinese glass I do not agree with nor indian glass or glass from any other country, buy American I say. Hell I was at Bonnaroo and every other festvial blowing up the import tables yelling "get out of here your supporting terrorism!" but seriously you can not say fuck this person's livelihood we all have to do a job. This person imported glass just like some people import shitty printed books or shitty quality t-shirts. I don't agree with what he was importing like I said but I don't agree with saying fuck him/her either.

tnbkrew
12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
i buy em when i need a real cheap crappy piece i dont care about breakin.
but i HATE em haha
pieces of crap

con-ed
12-15-2009, 07:52 AM
I mean seriously, get off the the subject with the damn prodo glass. We know it sucks or whatever, its cheap but there's just as much a market for cheap shit as there is for artistry glass if not more. As far as supporting terrorism? There's no direct link there come on...you can google any major corporation you've heard of in the U.S. and simply be disgusted with their business practices.

What we ALL SHOULD BE UPSET ABOUT, is the fact that the $50 billion budget the fucking Department of Homeland Security has is STILL going to things like this. Head shops and freakin gas stations sell 'water pipes' without issue. If anyone could ever fully explain the actual import/export laws on what is deemed 'paraphernalia' I would appreciate it. Last I checked new glass without traces of illegal substances.....are legal. This is the government still demonstrating an AWFUL misappropriation of funds, come on Obama you got rid of the federal dispensary raids, now cut this shit out too.

ja rasta
12-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Well constructed educated statement.

kbg.kamikazee
12-15-2009, 10:31 PM
:confused: