PDA

View Full Version : Germinating

BigManNew
12-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Hey guys, Iv tried a few different methods for germinating seeds. I wanted to check with yall here at FMB; what do you think the best method for germinating seeds is?

EDIT: best method for germinating mass amounts of seeds?

ja rasta
12-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Drop em in water, the females drop to the bottom and begin to sprout males stay on top. This may not be proven but I've done it and it works.

Or you could go with the 7th grade science project and fold em in wet paper towels and place the papertowels in a ziploc for 3 days checking on them daily.

I would go with the first route.

aqualungs
12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Paper towel method works well. As well as the drop 'em in a shotglass of water method. Never heard of only the females sinking. The seeds that absorb water through their seed coating and activate the embryo inside sink. I've done both and get 100% germination all the time. I usually use tweezers for handling seeds and placing them in the soil/medium, I try not to use my hands/fingers.

Evergreen
12-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I always use the paper towel method and I find it important to plant the seed once the root shows itself.

OnlyHighGrade
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
^^^^^ agreed.

recently I was gifted one of those little seven site Aerogardens. I went on the Aerogarden site and you can but a tray that coverts it to basically a 65 site ez cloner. I just popped some beans in as an experiment and it worked wonders for germinating. Literally 100% all sprouted. A little pricey, but again, worked great.