PDA

View Full Version : Question about hydro

espo13
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
I have been looking at some started stuff for a hydro grow and i came across a company called stealth hydro and i was wondering what you gues thought about them. This is what i was thinking about getting, but with the dual spec II lights :
http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/product.php?xProd=2&xSec=54

Thanks for any help!

DUBSteppin
12-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Those look alright but it looks like the plants would become to cluttered and close together because of the pot placement. I think it would be better to use their style as a model and make your own it would be much cheaper and not very hard.
Thats my two sense but i dont have much experience with hydro.
DUB

ROOR24
12-11-2009, 04:12 AM
I agree with dub you should make your own. There are how vids on youtube there pretty simple.

Razz
12-11-2009, 05:49 AM
friends don't let friends grow hydro!

espo13
12-11-2009, 06:09 AM
I will look into making my own, but on another note, whats wrong with hydro? i have seen that more than just a few people dont like, but never really understood why?

DUBSteppin
12-11-2009, 06:10 AM
I think its just like the difference between full melt and BHO, its preference, i dont think you can be right or wrong some people have just perfected their favorite techniques and stand by them.
DUB

Razz
12-11-2009, 06:18 AM
hydro = nasty chemical bud!

espo13
12-11-2009, 06:32 AM
why do you say that? isnt it just water and nutrients? maybe i know just that little about hydro, but i thought thats all it was

hashcat
12-11-2009, 06:24 PM
some people are cloudy headed

glassonglass
12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
go organic.

Evergreen
12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Hydroponic nutrients are derived rom heavy metals and other nasty stuff. It is similar to food, some people eat crappy un-organic veggies and really horribly farmed and abused meat. and you have the people that eat all organic veggies and sustainably farmed meat.

If you are going for quality smoke then go organic, if all you care is about $$$$$ and you can keep telling yourself that your hydro bud tastes good and not like nasty burned chems. As well as taking one rip of the bud and it turning into a piece of coal instead of a white piece of ash. then go ahead with the WHYDRO.

good luck!

OnlyHighGrade
12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
^^^^^^

Now I agree that most people who use hydro methods are in it for the money and do chem everything out. however, I have also seen really great organic hydro stuff. i know that a very small percentage of people doing hydro do it organic, but it is possible. But honestly i've seen chemmy soil herb that was just as bad as chemmy hydro. I just feel like its the nutes that you use not necessarily the method. A lot of soil nutes out there are sketch as hell and have super whack carcinogens in them. Also, as far as I am concerned if you feed your plants with liquid you are growing hydroponically, no matter the medium. I've meet very few people who plants feed exclusively off the medium. I have been meaning to try out the soil recipe Evergreen posted a few months back.

Not trying to be a dick, and by no means to I hype hydro. Just trying to discuss something with those more educated than myself, i.e. Razz & Evergreen.

hashcat
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
and not like nasty burned chems. As well as taking one rip of the bud and it turning into a piece of coal instead of a white piece of ash.

good luck!

this is total bullshit that has been spread for ever!!!

i have smoked plenty of hydroponically grown chem weed that completely ashes, and tastes beautiful!!!

its all in the flush!!! hydro actually allows you to have a MUCH cleaner/effective flush than an organic system. now wait, i know you dont need to flush an organic system, which brings me to my next point

i love organics as much as the next guy (for all the reasons except for flavor) because i have honestly sampled MANY organic buds that taste like BAT SHIT and FISH OIL and other organic additives. now yeah this is all organic, no chem. but I dont want that taste in my bud!!!!

i have been to a dispensary that specializes in growing their own organic bud, and their entire organic side of the list smells COMPLETELY SIMILAR. you can tell the difference visually between each strain, but the dominant smell of each is the "organic" smell with just a HINT of the terpenes we wanna smell coming through.

i guess what i am saying, is its all in the flush. i havent done so myself but i have reports of people smoking generalhydro grown chem weed properly flushed and giving it to an organo head and they think its organic!!!

f0urtwenty
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
OnlyHighGrade you hit the nail on the head.

hydro does not equal chemical.

organics in hydro present a lot of new challenges, but it is commonly done and the finished product is not chemmy or harsh at all. i have found hydro organics to produce larger yields than soil grown side by side, however the taste and flavor of the soil was slightly more enhanced. maybe this had something to do with beneficials in my soil.

has anybody else had experience with organics and introducing "chem weeks"?

f0urtwenty
12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
i have honestly sampled MANY organic buds that taste like BAT SHIT and FISH OIL and other organic additives. now yeah this is all organic, no chem. but I dont want that taste in my bud!!!!

very strange. maybe they foilar fed too close to harvest? i've found that the smell/flavor in organics to be the #1 reason for using organics.

Evergreen
12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
re: only high grade

I find it hilarious that you used hydro and organic in the same sentence, I think that the companies that make the orgainc hydro nutes derive all of the needed nutes out of organic ingredients are fucking kidding themselves. I believe organic is only possible in soil and if you are using liquid nutes then that is not very organic at all. think about it, even though you are feeding the soil with all organic nutes, like lets use Canna Bio line for instance, that stuff is organic and all but it is a fucking liquid, get it.

I believe that the only way to achieve real organic cannabis it to amend the soil with dry nutrients in their pure state, I.e bat guano, blood meal, bone meal.

I use only water for my flowering phase and my cannabis tastes better and burns better than any herb i have ever smoked, and i'll put that on everything I own!

OnlyHighGrade
12-24-2009, 11:02 PM
^^^^^ I agree with everything you said. Basically I was just trying to say that most people are growing hydroponically and they don't even realize it. Very few do what you do Evergreen, and I commend you for it. Do you have any organic soil recipes without any animal products?

Evergreen
12-25-2009, 02:01 AM
your right hashkat it is all in the flush, hydro flushed properly tastes pretty good to the uneducated grower/smoker.

hashcat
12-25-2009, 04:59 AM
evergreen...do you know how well pure organics like you speak of works in coco???

i like the hydro style growth rates compared to soil, but easy to maintain like soil. all i do is hand water every 2 days with no runoff and and get slightly faster growth and fatter nugs than soil.

Razz
12-25-2009, 06:03 PM
my bud doesn't taste like fish or bat shit, never will i go back to the hydro style of growing. i mean if you're growing hydro, next thing you know you'll be looking for advanced nutrients, because you're gonna think you need all that shit from them! no thanks, i'm not cloudy headed, i just do not support the hydro method.

dee189
12-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I think there is no right or wrong here, both methods of growing have there pro's and con's. I mean, if pure natural organic taste is everything, well than soil is deftly the way to go. But there is nothing wrong with paying your bills either, and if that is the issue hydro is the way to go. It's cleaner and easier to keep a more consistent feeding regiment as the plant grows. Soil is dirty. and can be a lot of work(try carrying 15 bails of dirt up 3 flights of steps) a case of rockwool is a bit more easy.
I have a question, after a grow with soil do you throw out your soil ?
that's nuts if do, a little expensive huh , and if you got 50 or more pots, not a little bit of work. And if you do reuse soil do you amend it again with more organic nuts like guano,castings,bone meal ?
How much more do you add ?
How do you know how much you plants just used out of the old soil ?
With hydro you wash some rocks, wet some rockwool and you got a clean slate to start off with. That can be very important issue when there are hard earned dollars at stake.
Honestly I would like to here back on this issue.

And stop the bashing of growing hydro and advanced nutrients, yes some of the stuff they sell is bullshit but some of there products are really good. And they do a lot for advancing the whole cannabis growing industry.
Some people don't have the convenience of putting pure organics ahead of everything else. Although that is a very important aspect to consider.

peace, Dee189