PDA

View Full Version : Storing Bubble

khanold2
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey I just acquired a rather large amount of bubble. It's pressed so I basically have a big softball sized chunk of bubble. How do you recommend storing this, what causes potency degradation? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also is storing pressed bubble any different than storing unpressed bubble? Thanks FMB

OnlyHighGrade
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
i always heard that light and heat were what you wanted to avoid when preserving hash, specifically light. Best bet imo is to always stick it in the fridge all jarred up, as long as it's properly dried. I don't think there is much of a difference in storing pressed vs. unpressed as long as both are dried completely. Hope this helps! Good luck with your storage.

headimonster
12-13-2009, 08:23 PM
ive always found vaccum sealing a wide mouth jar ....any size, and throwing it in freezer helps the cure, makes it waaay smoother and def. preserves the quality,

khanold2
12-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Awesome thanks for the input guys, last time I had some I kept it in a glass on glass container in the freezer when not in use, then i'd usually let it sit out a little bit before preparing to puff.

Looks like I'll just try and do a better job keeping it out of the light, thanks for the input

Bubbleman
12-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I would make sure because its bubble and has been pressed.. that almost definitly it will still contain moisture..
I would leave your ball in the fridge or freezer while your not smoking it for sure.
If you do a small experiment with a piece.. roll it into its own small ball. and leave it out on your table for a week>> See how the resin changes texture and stops holding its form...
This is a sign of moisture..

If you really want to take things into your own hands.. i would bust that ball up into a powder and spread it thin on cardboard.. till your left with a powder...
Once in powder form you can leave it indefinitly in a glass jar at room temp.....

My two cents

Bubble man

dee189
12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
I would store it in the freezer,once you know its dry. THC will degrade over time at room temperature.

khanold2
12-15-2009, 03:36 AM
So from what I've gathered I should break it up then let it dry, and then once it's dry store it in the freezer? Any other tips? Thanks a lot for the input bubbleman, I know you know what your talkin about ha

RooRripRoadie
12-15-2009, 04:48 AM
From what i have learned over the years temp does not play a huge part in thc breakdown. Only heard of light break down. I have not yet been blessed with the problem of storing large amounts of bubble. I usually smoke that shit up pretty quick. hehe

khanold2
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Bman, do you think it would be best to just break down all of it and store it is a powder so it can dry thoroughly?

dee189
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Constituents of Cannabis sativa L. XIII: Stability of dosage form prepared by impregnating synthetic (--)-delta 9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol on placebo Cannabis plant material.
Lewis GS, Turner CE
J Pharm Sci 1978 Jun;67(6):876-8

Abstract:
Synthetic (--)-delta 9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol impregnated on placebo Cannabis decomposed only 6.3% after being stored for 1 year at --18 degrees. Storage at 5 degrees and room temperature under various conditions led to severe decomposition. The amount of cannabinol observed when (--)-delta 9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol decomposed indicates that cannabinol is not the only decomposition product.

Stability of Cannabis sativa L. samples and their extracts, on prolonged storage in Delhi.
Narayanaswami K, Golani HC, Bami HL, Dau RD
Bull Narc 1978 Oct-Dec;30(4):57-69

Abstract:
The percentage rate of change into cannabinoids (Cannabidiol [CBD], tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] and cannabinol [CBN]) was higher in cannabis samples than in the extracts. This is probalby due to the decomposition of acids into corresponding neutral cannabinoids under the conditions of storage. Previous claims that CBD content in plant material is relatively constant are not substantiated by our results. There was a 1.0-2.5-fold increase in CBD content in plant material compared with the extracts. However, the fact that there was no appreciable increase in CBD/CBN content in the stored extracts of the same samples supports the view that the step-wise extraction does not bring the acids into the final extract pure delta 9THC decomposed at a rate of 41 per cent per year under tropical storage conditions. The delta 9THC content decreased in the samples and equally in the extracts though 100 per cent conversion of THC to CBN does not take place. The higher CBN content found in extracts than that expected by the conversion THC to CBN is a result of metabolic conversion.

The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage
Fairbairn JW, Liebmann JA, Rowan MG
J Pharm Pharmacol 1976 Jan;28(1):1-7

Abstract:
Solutions of pure cannabinoids, nine samples of herbal and two of resin cannabis (one freshly prepared) were stored in varying conditions for up to 2 years. Exposure to light (not direct sunlight) was shown to be the greatest single factos in loss of cannabinoids especially in solutions, which should therefore be protected from light during analytical and phytochemical operations. Previous claims that solutions in ethanol were stable have not been substantiated. The effect of temperature, up to 20 degrees, was insignificant but air oxidation did lead to significant losses. These could be reduced if care was taken to minimize damage to the glands which act as "well filled, well closed containers". Loss of tetrahydrocannabinol after exposure to light does not lead to an increase in cannabinol, but air oxidation in the dark does. It is concluded that carefully prepared herbal or resin cannabis or extracts are reasonably stable for 1 to 2 years if stored in the dark at room temperature.

So I say, definitely keep it away from air and light and the colder the better the temperature.

dee189
12-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Bubbleman, This is from Robert Clark's book Hashish. From you experiences do you think that this is accurate info. I mean 50% a year seems like a lot of loss, that would be a very noticeable loss of potency after a year.
I have had hash that was stored a room temp for almost a year and it definitely didn't seem to lose half it's potency. What do you think, I would really like to hear your opinion on this very important subject.

peace, Dee189

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3/4/3/chart.JPG

Green Supreme
12-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I think that only countsifs most or all surface area is exposed to oxidation. In pressed pieces and piles only the outside is exposed. Peace GS

dee189
12-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Interesting, but I don't know if that is so. How deep is the surface area, dose it penetrate constantly to the core. Do you think that could be counter acted by vacuum sealing, or would that be more of a guard against air oxidation. I mean, wouldn't temperature at the surface be the same as the core. Is in it the temperature that is the culprit here.
Please I would like to here more on this important subject.
peace, Dee189

Justme
12-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Synthetic (--)-delta 9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol impregnated on placebo Cannabis decomposed only 6.3% after being stored for 1 year at --18 degrees. Storage at 5 degrees and room temperature under various conditions led to severe decomposition. The amount of cannabinol observed when (--)-delta 9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol decomposed indicates that cannabinol is not the only decomposition product.

^^^

Says sythetic ... wonder if that would make a difference ... :p

and study is from 1978 ...