PDA

View Full Version : Dry sift from only trim question

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Is potent dry sift pretty achievable when using only smaller, more crystally trim leaves (not really referring to bud here), as well as maybie some stems? I'm guessing they should be trimmed up a little. It would be for vaporizing only (no combustion) for health purposes. Even if it wasn't quite melty, that would be really cool (probably a lot more enjoyable than just bud in the vaporizer), although semi-melty sounds like pretty great quality.

Any thoughts on yields? I'm thinking they might be similar to bubblebags. Are there any special ways to improve the yield and/or quality, such as freezing material before putting it in, adding beads to it to knock off trichomes, etc.?
Thanks

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Basically all I'm asking is, when using dry-sift methods, is it possible to make a good hash with only (crystally) leaves and no bud? I'm asking because buds would be saved for just vaping alone for me. Also, what about freezing the trim and adding some small objects on the screen with the trim before you shake it all together and agitate the trichomes?

Sh1zn1t
01-06-2010, 02:45 AM
I dunno about trim, but I got kief from dry sifting a jar of stems, so I'm probably gonna have to say that you'll get trichomes off of trim.

BigManNew
01-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't know about the first few questions but for the one about putting another object in with the trim; it is better to not put any object in there. because forced kief is not as good as not forced kief.

anhedonia
01-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Resinous sugarleaf is fine. But I see no reason to put a random objects on the screen.

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Yeah I thought I might've read something about using glass beads or something. I think that was shaking a bottle with a coffee screen attached to the bottom of it. I saw a much cheaper dry sift maker out there (the "polm maker"), but it only processes like 5 grams of frozen material at a time. Well, actually, on second thought, I guess you could just use it repeatedly. Anyone seen it?

Evergreen
01-07-2010, 05:11 AM
the sugarleaf is fine for dry sift, I would not really try to push the envelope with quantity because when quantity goes up usually quality goes down.
that is unless you don't mind really harsh dry sift.

What do you use for dry sift???

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah I wouldn't really mind a little lower quality (but still very potent) as my vaporizer has always seemed to provide me with clean, pure hits in the past, whether using bud or, in some cases, wand hash (which I probably liked to vape even more than bud). I've never really made dry sift extensively other than a few times pressing small amounts of kief into hash, which were pretty lame times not worth doing. I was questioning about using trim leaf in case I grew any plant(s), but until that, I'll be content with just vaping bud. Without a crop of my own, I couldn't really plan on making dry sift unless someone provided me with trim and I got a polm maker, and believe me, I'd order one right away if anyone ever told me they could provide me with trim.

Hatch
01-07-2010, 06:23 AM
We Used To Use Silk Cloth Over A Jar, & Just Rub The Materiel Real Lightly Across The Silk, And Like Evergreen Said, You Won't Get Much So Don't Rub It Long Or Hard, Also Just Do Alittle At A Time, But What You Get Will Be Good.

crAZjoeherbizzle86
01-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Oh yeah, do you guys think many dealers out there would either give me or sell me for cheap a bunch of trim? That, or possibly desire some of the hash I made. I'd definitely get a polm maker for it, even though they can only process 5 grams of vegetation per run.

Any significantly pure, potent, fresh, dry sift hash would sound amazing to me; I'm trying to make something that will melt. Quality doesn't really worry me as long as it's pretty high thc (like about the same % as very potent bud) and, preferrably, as long as it's not something as low quality as a really green-looking hash. That wouldn't be too nice. If any kief I ever dry sifted is at least fairly brownish or light brownish, without too much green, I'd be pretty satisfied with how potent and enjoyable I'd expect it to be in the vaporizer (with mine being a whip-style one, you know, it'd be tasty). After all, when using a vaporizer with pure dry sift hash, even if its potency isn't as high as sub- or semi-melty, I think it's safe to say that one will avoid inhaling most contaminants, almost irregardless of the potency. More potent dry sift, however, will produce a larger volume of vapor.

susantidad
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
hello,

try to get some 150 microns mesh and you can get some good stash for a few bucks.

I prefer donīt use any kind of stones, beans or something for hit the nugs, it allow to pass more plant material in the resin.

recently I bought a tumpler, 110 LPI (something like 160 microns) and the extracts using it are very good quality in runs of 5 or 8 minutes, if you want more quantity just leave it some more minutes.

regards,
susantidad.

NorCalTrichomePro
07-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Trim is fine.

People who use buds to make this kinda stuff are way behind and don't know what they're doing.

CalcioErba2004
07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
this thread is over a year old...i suggest you make observations before posting...

NorCalTrichomePro
07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
this thread is over a year old...i suggest you make observations before posting...

Over a year, and it was still on the first page, haha.