PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tank Filter

espo13
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey fmb, I have recently started my first hydro grow and while all my plants are doing pretty well, I had an algae scare. I emptied the tank and cleaned it before putting in new water and nutes, but what i was wondering is if i could use a fish tank filter to keep my water nice and clean. That way algae wouldnt be a scare and i would be able to use tap water in my system. my only worry is if it would filter out the nutes. Thanks for any help!

Lord_sixx
01-19-2010, 07:36 PM
an aquarium filter would be of no use. Ive been into aquariums for years and still get algae attacks. Make sure you are not allowing light to enter your hydro setup. I have seen people go as far as using plastic sheeting to block light to the medium. I use labels with my tomatoes and peppers. The bowl is black and the labels keep light from entering the bowl thus curing the problem.

If you post a pic of your grow, maybe one of the vets here could see a problems with your setup.

03-11-2010, 07:00 AM
what type of algee do you have..?
if your going to use a filter there is 2 type's that help
1 skimmer removes organics
2 uv kills the algee/bac

CalcioErba2004
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
A UV Filter might work but if you are going to kill any beneficial microbes in the water as well. Best way to stop algae is to stop the light from shining on the reservoir. Without light algae can't grow. Hope this helps! Keep it danK!

03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
there is non-photosynthetic Dinoflagellate, diatom & algae.

thats why my 1st? was what type do you have.

my guess is you have high DOC's & Silicates feeding your bloom