PDA

View Full Version : Heat of HPS lights?

espo13
01-30-2010, 02:18 AM
I was thinking of buying a new hps light at the start of my next grow, but I am worried about the heat. I plan on either getting a 200w or a 400w, so the total watts would be either 350 or 550 from hps. I am wondering if I would need to run an inline fan to get the heat out, or if something like a swamp cooler would do the trick. Thanks for any help!

OnlyHighGrade
01-30-2010, 03:04 AM
it really depends on the size of your space more than the wattage. 2 and 4 hundred watt hps's don't get too hot, but again it depends on the size of your space.

so how big is it?????

Shibbydonkey
01-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Not that I know shit, but it also matters alot how ventilated the area is. So not just how much space, but how easily air can enter and escape

espo13
01-30-2010, 08:00 AM
ths space is a small closet, around a 4' x 2', maybe a little bigger, but not much. Right now i have a small fan that runs on low and is able to keep the heat manageable

aqualungs
01-30-2010, 12:10 PM
You could stick a 400w in that size space. You will most definitely have to run your fan on high though or get a bigger fan.

espo13
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
yeah...I was thinking of getting a swamp cooler to replace the fan

Evergreen
01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
If you are running a 250 or 400w then I would use an inline fan with a charcoal filter, I have used a 4" vortex with a elf filter ( I think that hydro hut make the elf filter) along with a timer to keep temps under control

OnlyHighGrade
01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
^^^^ what he said.

Also, if money is an issue Home Depot sells these inlines that work pretty well for small spaces. They have them in 4, 6, and 8 inch sizes. Retail for between $20 and $35 depending on size. I have my moms in a tent with a 4 inch on the intake and a 6 inch on the out. Keeps my small space real cool. Quiet and easy on my electric bill. When it comes to CFLs nothing compares to a vortex or can fan though, if you're gonna get a filter you will probably need one.

espo13
02-02-2010, 12:35 AM
so running one of those home depot fans wouldnt be able to get the air through the filter? and if i have to run an inline fan i assume the air is going to have to be run out of the room then right?

OnlyHighGrade
02-02-2010, 01:43 AM
the home depot inlines are really weak. they definitely DO NOT have enough strength to push your air though a charcoal filter and clean it. In a perfect world i would get a home depot one for you in take, meaning you kinda install it in a wall with some ducting and have cool air being forced in the space. then i would get the vortex Evergreen recommended and have that be your out take. Hook the 4 inch vortex up to the mini charcoal filter and you will be jamming.

hope that makes sence