PDA

View Full Version : Grow Box help

BigManNew
02-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Hey guys, I just built a grow box that is 4 feet long, 3 feet wide and 5 feet tall. I was wondering what light I should use (I would like to use one with a hood that I can place on top of the box instead of hanging it) and also where to pick up the right light for a good price. (Cali SB area) Also if anyone on here has a light that would work for me that you are looking to get rid of please pm me.

I was told by a guy who works at a local hydro shop that I would need a 600 watt hood. Is this right? Or am are we way off? If need be I can post pics of the box if that helps to answer the light question.

I will be posting more questions in this thread as they come up.

Thank you,
BMN

Evergreen
02-01-2010, 02:55 AM
I would say that a 600 would be sufficient as far as watts for the size of box you have, but you are going to have to worry about heat with a box that size. If the box is sealed well then a $" vortex inline fan would be perfect. with charc. filter, better without if you can avoid detection from the smell.
Are you talking about Santa barbara? I know some peeps there that might be able to help.

OnlyHighGrade
02-01-2010, 03:05 AM
throw a 6 in there. personally, i would hang a 1k and get a proper hood and run your out take through the light. a space that small has the potential to get hot but if you ventilate it proper u could definitely put a 1k in it.

if your in CA and you're trying to get something for cheap I would inquire through craigslist.org and get something used. i live in Humboldt County and there are crazy amounts of equipment being posted everyday. A lot of it is probably heavily used and janky but I've gotten stuff fresh out the box for practically nothing.

To be perfectly honest though, in my humble opinion, you never wanna cheap out on your grow equipment. In my experiences, all things pretty much pay for themselves first run, if not the second. It's in your best interest to find someone near you. If you keep going there they will usually hook you up, especially if you go there frequently and develop a sort of 'relationship'. Just think of all the FREE herb you will be smoking. Might as well go all out, and that does'nt mean numbers or size but quality.

have fun! grow equipment is toys for adults as far as i am concerned.

BigManNew
02-01-2010, 03:12 AM
Evergreen: yes I am in the Santa Barbara area.

Also I am working on the ventilation, but I think I will need to get the light first to see my vent options.

And I understand that you get what you pay for, I am not really looking for a crappy light, I am just going with a more "ghetto" setup than the pros and semi-pros use.

Also do you guys have any suggestions for a reflective paint or sheet that I could use on the inside walls of the box?

f0urtwenty
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm somewhat local. Representin' the 805.

If you go with a 600w that you can place on top of the grow cabinet and vent the hood outside of the room, you should be OK with temps for 10 months a year in regards to heat. Just ensure you get a sealed hood that can be vented.

A 400w would be a little easier to keep temps low, but the 600w is just so much more efficient.

For a hood, ballast and bulb, you're looking at about $420 new. Which hydro shop did you go to? GCHydro is a nice place, the owner is knowledgeable but his sticker prices are a bit high. If you get a printout quote from another site, like bghydro.com, the guy at GCHydro will do a good deal matching the prices (usually a couple bucks more than BGH, but no shipping costs).

Craigslist was a good idea too, especially if you're willing to drive out to the valley.

I'd paint your walls flat white. I think it's something like 90% reflective. Mylar is something around 98% reflective, but costs more and will get dirty and fade if you're properly cleaning your cabinet between runs. So after a couple runs it'll need to be replaced or it'll lose some reflective capabilities. If money isn't an object at all, I like this stuff called Lightite Diamond Diffusion Foil.

BigManNew
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I went up to GC Hydro just yesterday, and the guy who was answering my questions was very rude and not very helpful. (not saying GC hydro is a bad place, just the guy who was helping me was not very professional.)

Planet Earth just opened recently on the corner of haley and anacapa, so I am going to check out what they have got. I might also go to another shop, but I can't remember the name of it right now (just moved here and not to familiar with the area).

f0urtwenty
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Let me know what you think of the other two places. It has been over a year since i went into GCH but the last time i was there the owner was overtly nice. Maybe because my gf had been calling him and getting a quote and things set aside.

BigManNew
02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I went to Planet Earth Hydro (on the corner of haley and anacapa) 2 days ago. They didn't really know their stuff, but they did have good prices.

Would an xtrasun 600 watt hood for $100 with cooling be a good price or is that a cheap setup?