PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 Closet - Metal Hallide Grow - Auto 60 Autoflowering

Calp
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey guys
I recently found out that I can get access to a 2X6 closet space to grow in. This will be my first indoor grow so I have quite a few questions
It will be behind locked doors.
I have 25 Sour 60 (65 day autoflowering strain) that I am wanting to grow this summer.
How many mature plants can I fit in this space?
Also I am thinking of using 2 400 W MH bulbs with reflectors. Will I be able to fit that in the space? Is it overkill?
Im also wondering about ventilation. I am planning on building a large growbox/cab out of plywood/caulking etc. paint the inside flat white, and grow in there inside the closet.
Smell is an issue so Im assuming Ill need a carbon scrubber. Any recommendations based on my size? Also where would the exhaust have to go? Could I just vent it into the closet? I dont really want to cut any big holes in the walls/ceiling.
Im pretty sure what soil and nutes I will be using but am open to any suggestions on a nute lignup.
Also with these 400 watt bulbs can I just plug them into a 3 prong outlet as long as Im sure they wont blow the fuse?
Anyone have a good shopping list I could look at? I have a good hydro store near me but would like to get printouts from online because they do online price matching and I'd like to figure out what exactly I need.

Thanks and if you have any suggestions etc. throw them at me!
Anything and everything is appreciated!
Thanks

kushkommander
04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
I did the same setup in my closet and it was 2ft x 5.5ft x 8ft high, I had two 400w MH and a 6in vortex exhausting into the attic with passive intake, I didnt use a carbon scubber because it restricted airflow and I wasnt worried about smell.
I packed the closet with around 60 casey jones clones, I threw them under 12/12 as soon as roots developed(about 6 in) and they finished between 1ft and 2ft tall packed with bud falling over.

I tried to wire the lights to the rooms circuit but it blew it so I had to run wiring to the breaker box and put each light on its own breaker, very easy if you have a friend that is an electrician...I did the crawling he did the wiring lol after that everything ran smoothly....

but do note I was running this setup during the winter when ambient temps were in the 60's or below....my closet temp with lights on were between 70-80 and when lights were off it went to about 50-60, in the summer it might be a little tricky, IMO you can get away with one 400w in that amount of space, im sure it will produce fine

also fyi for nutrients I used PBP grow, bloom, and liquid karma, my soil was fox farm ocean forest mixed with happy frog.

Calp
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I did the same setup in my closet and it was 2ft x 5.5ft x 8ft high, I had two 400w MH and a 6in vortex exhausting into the attic with passive intake, I didnt use a carbon scubber because it restricted airflow and I wasnt worried about smell.
I packed the closet with around 60 casey jones clones, I threw them under 12/12 as soon as roots developed(about 6 in) and they finished between 1ft and 2ft tall packed with bud falling over.

I tried to wire the lights to the rooms circuit but it blew it so I had to run wiring to the breaker box and put each light on its own breaker, very easy if you have a friend that is an electrician...I did the crawling he did the wiring lol after that everything ran smoothly....

but do note I was running this setup during the winter when ambient temps were in the 60's or below....my closet temp with lights on were between 70-80 and when lights were off it went to about 50-60, in the summer it might be a little tricky, IMO you can get away with one 400w in that amount of space, im sure it will produce fine

also fyi for nutrients I used PBP grow, bloom, and liquid karma, my soil was fox farm ocean forest mixed with happy frog.

It was pretty easy to wire the lights into its own circuit? Where did you figure out how to do this? Im not sure if a single 400 watt MH will blow the circuit but Ill have to do some math I guess.
Im thinking of using single 4 gallon or 5 gallon pots for each female plant. Im thinking I could probably fit 2 rows by maybe 5 or 6? Any experience with that?

I think Im going to be going with the fox farm nutes. Ive seen good reviews etc.

kushkommander
04-22-2010, 11:02 PM
It was pretty easy to wire the lights into its own circuit? Where did you figure out how to do this? Im not sure if a single 400 watt MH will blow the circuit but Ill have to do some math I guess.
Im thinking of using single 4 gallon or 5 gallon pots for each female plant. Im thinking I could probably fit 2 rows by maybe 5 or 6? Any experience with that?

I think Im going to be going with the fox farm nutes. Ive seen good reviews etc.

I had my buddy who is an experienced electrician do all the wiring so I wont be of any help there, and each of my plants were in 20oz containers, not sure about foxfarm nutrients but give them a try

I dont think a 400w light by itself would be too much but you might want to add up all the appliances and things in your room and figure out your max allowance on that circuit, also whether or not that circuit is for only your room or if it covers another area of the house aswell, my problem was the circuit for the bedrooms is all on 1 and there is 3 rooms with computers, tv's and bunch of other stuff which was already using most of the allowance. youll figure it out, feel free to ask if you have any questions

Calp
04-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Cool, I'll try to figure out all the appliances and the circuit stuff within the next two days.

Wow 20oz seems small. How much did you harvest per plant?
My main predicament right now is the lighting
I definetly want to go with MH
Do I want 2 400's?
1 400?
or 1 600?
Im leaning towards only having a single light but im not sure if the 600 would be too much.
Im assuming I'll only need the metal halide for growth through both the veg and flowering cycle; is this an accurate assumption?

Also any exact recomendations on a hood, and bulb? Brand names etc?
Im thinking about going with this
http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3074
for the bulb
Im going to be keeping this stuff for a while so price isnt a HUGE issue although the best value is prefered
Thanks for all of your help man!

kushkommander
04-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Cool, I'll try to figure out all the appliances and the circuit stuff within the next two days.

Wow 20oz seems small. How much did you harvest per plant?
My main predicament right now is the lighting
I definetly want to go with MH
Do I want 2 400's?
1 400?
or 1 600?
Im leaning towards only having a single light but im not sure if the 600 would be too much.
Im assuming I'll only need the metal halide for growth through both the veg and flowering cycle; is this an accurate assumption?

Also any exact recomendations on a hood, and bulb? Brand names etc?
Im thinking about going with this
http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3074
for the bulb
Im going to be keeping this stuff for a while so price isnt a HUGE issue although the best value is prefered
Thanks for all of your help man!

Each plant was between 5-7 grams, a few were about 9 grams, I think one 400w or one 600w would be the best idea because then you could get an air cooled hood and have the air going through the light aswell as exhausting the room, it would help keep it cooler and yes you can use the MH for vegging and flowering, some people say its not the right spectrum but I did it and got some great buds, my lights were basically 400w mh lights from a painting booth so I got them for free and I bought the cheapest bulbs which were GE @ 28$ each, I personally never seen a big difference in spending extra 60$ for a hortilux bulb but some people swear by them

Calp
04-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Hmm thanks a ton man, im hoping these plants will get a bit bigger than 5-7 g a plant because Im using larger containers and less plants. Should be a fun learning curve though.

Im now debating between mylar or just painting it flat white. Is there that big of a difference/worth the extra work and money?

kushkommander
04-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Hmm thanks a ton man, im hoping these plants will get a bit bigger than 5-7 g a plant because Im using larger containers and less plants. Should be a fun learning curve though.

Im now debating between mylar or just painting it flat white. Is there that big of a difference/worth the extra work and money?

oh trust me even in 1 gallon containers they would have produced alot more, I just didnt have the space, I needed to use all the clones and didnt want to wait for vegging :D in 5 gal youll have some monsters lol

from my experiences there isnt much difference between flat white and mylar but imo if you can put up mylar its probably better.

Calp
04-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Alright I'll probably just go with flat white. I think I can only use this grow box for the summer so might as well go a little budget friendly.
Im hoping for around an ounce a plant, these are autoflowering so they wont grow as big but thats good for my space requirements.

Think I will see much difference between a 3,4, or 5 gallon bag/pot? Depends on how many of each i can fit!@

kushkommander
04-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Alright I'll probably just go with flat white. I think I can only use this grow box for the summer so might as well go a little budget friendly.
Im hoping for around an ounce a plant, these are autoflowering so they wont grow as big but thats good for my space requirements.

Think I will see much difference between a 3,4, or 5 gallon bag/pot? Depends on how many of each i can fit!@

if your going for max yeild and if they are autos, Id say go with 3 gallons so you can fit more in there, maybe even 2 gal if you want to push it, sounds interesting cant wait to see.

Calp
04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Okay cool, I think Im goign to measure the width of the bags. If I can fit s rows of 4 or 5 gallon I might go with that. I dont thinK I can fit three rows of a 3 gallon so might as well bump it up and go with 2 rows of the biggest :)

Calp
04-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Yup I think Im going to go with some 3 gallons.
I think Im going to go to the hydro store today and do some window shopping/price checking.
They have online price matching so I need to find some good deals online :)

Ive honestly never been in a hydro store either.
Does it look strange to them that Im buying the exact things needed to grow marijuana?
Most people wouldnt go this hightech for some tomatoes haha

stickyfingers
04-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Look up a organic add water only soil recipe by Moonshine Man, take a bit to make it but worth it and you only have to wtr them. Got to be careful and not over wtr or you will have nute problems. I am sure you could find it with google, if not I could find a link somewhere or find where I wrote it down and share a copy. just google "moonshineman organic soil mix" and you should find it.

ROOR24
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Ive honestly never been in a hydro store either.
Does it look strange to them that Im buying the exact things needed to grow marijuana?
Most people wouldnt go this hightech for some tomatoes haha

PAY CASH!! and read this it has all the info u need to grow http://www.scribd.com/doc/13387/The-Cannabis-Grow-Bible

aqualungs
04-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Depends on your grow shop, we only have one out where I am and it is ran by a fellow on the same wavelength as most of us. I feel safe buying what I need there, if you can find a good shop stick with it. PAY CASH is most important because grow shop will come up on your credit card or debit card slips. No paper trail is a good trail.

Calp
04-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Ya guys just went to the shop and the guy was AWESOME!
Super laid back and definetly an old stoner.
Mom and Pops business with the sons running it. He gave me specific recomendations on everything.
Here is all of the research I've compiled.
For sake of ease Im going to keep it all in my grow journal on IC
Here is the link

Clp's 400W CMH 5'X5' Grow - Sour60 & Skunkmans Haze X Skunk 1 - Indoors (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3436944#post3436944)
~Click The Link~

Thanks for all your help!

Calp
04-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Okay guys I now think Im going with the secret jardin DR 150.
Its a 5 ft by ft 5 space.
Can I grow all my plants under that?
15 healthy sour 60's and maybe 10 healthy skunk haze?
Will they fit?
What lighting would be best, budget is big but value is important