PDA

View Full Version : dry ice freezes colder for dry sift?

shhCOLORADO
05-12-2010, 03:34 AM
if you place fresh bud (or any fresh fruit) in a cooler with dry ice, it will freeze much colder than if it were in an extremely cold freezer. In fact, dry ice is NEGATIVE 109 degrees farenheit. The method of "dry ice canning" or "dry ice fruit preservation" is generally used to Individually Quick Freeze (IQF) berries and other small fruits / veggies, but if you were in a walk-in freezer, dry sifting a bunch of fresh dry-ice IQF'd buds, maybe you could have some fun? What about trimming directly into a cooler with dry ice? Maybe you could make some dry sift the same day that you trimmed? Or you could throw your IQF'd trim into some bubble bags after it had only been freezing for an hour or so! Dry ice freezing your buds would get them much colder than throwing dry ice into the water of a bubble bag mix. Three more weeks till I get to try any of this... Oh yeah don't close the cooler or it could explode.

Evergreen
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
My favorite part of the post is the last sentence. My freezer works just fine, no need to go out and spend money on dry ice. I have used ice for 10 years and can produce extremely melty bubble without the aid of dry ice. I'm not trying to be a dick but I just see no benefit in using dry ice in any of the steps.

stickyfingers
05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I could see how maybe a mixture of some dry ice and regular ice might not be a bad idea but it seems to be a bit of an overkill. I would think that the dry ice could possibly make the fabric of the bags brittle and cause it to break or rip even while stirring with care. I have seen multiple macros of very clean full melt on this forums that didn't involve dry ice. I gotta agree with Evergreen...I see no benefits in using dry ice or trimming in a freezer. Stick with what works, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Just my 2 cents...

Babbabud
05-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Remember always mix in a seperate 5 gallon bucket then pour through and save the wear and tear on the bags.

BluDreamer
05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I hope no one tries this in a closed space. You could kill your self with the displaced air from the N2 released from the sublimation of the gas. The extra cost in dry ice isnt gonna put more heads in the 120 and 90 bags.

shhCOLORADO
05-13-2010, 03:32 AM
yeah I almost totally agree with you guys, dry ice directly in a bubblebag mix would not put any more heads in the screens. The advantage I'm looking for is not having to freeze trim for weeks before the bubble making session. Just dropping your fresh picked buds into a freezer with dry ice would freeze them very well in only 20 minutes. Then you could throw them into the bags and begin the stir. I know this is the wrong forum, but dry sifting freshly frozen buds could yield smokable hash from a plant the same day that it was cut down. Dry ice doesn't produce Nitrogen gas, just CO2, the same stuff we breathe out and drink in beer or soda. The exploding cooler scenario is a bigger version of a shaken can of beer.