PDA

View Full Version : Preparation

naturallmystic
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
greetings to all. What a great forum. THanks for being here.

This is my first post here. Have read a great deal and have had two runs at the bubble hash, good results in that I have made some pretty acceptable hash, but not near full melt. Based on what I have read here I now believe that I am overdoing things a bit. SO I have a few questions of things I would like to clear up.

1. I believe I am over processing the herb. I have been freezing it then putting it in a Cuisinart food processor until the herb is cut up fine. Not a powder but cut up like you would were you to roll it in papers to smoke. From what I have seen here that is too much. Could someone describe for me the "correct" state the herb needs to be in before it goes into the bucket.

2. I am using the 8 bag 5 gallon set. How much, approximately, by weight, herb should go into the 5 gallon bucket ?

3. Also I believe I have been agitating it too much. I have been using a drill with a grout mixer to agitate the water, ice, herb slurry. It is very vigorous. Have watched the the video where Bubbleman is using the bubblenow it apperas that gentle agitation is enough. I can actually slow the drill down using a voltage regulator to a very gentle stir. Would that be a better approach?

Thanks so much for any assistance. :)

YukonBikerGuy
05-31-2010, 02:31 PM
1) You are. The more the herb is broken up, the more fine particulate you are introducing to the hash. No need to crumble up trim at all. Buds can be just gently broken up a lil by hand to pea-walnut sized chunks.

2) "The 5 Gallon Bubble Bag kits can process up to 0.5 pounds or approximately 200 grams (dry weight) of plant material at a time." --from the bubblebags website.

3)Super vigorous mixing also particulates the herb. Mixing methods, from worst to first: Paint/grout mixer on a power drill, cake mixer, Bubblenow machine, hand stirred with wooden spoons. The first 2 tend to really beat the hell out of the herb and lower the quality of the hash. Wooden spoons make super pure hash, and is a great workout for 1 or 2 people. The Bubblenow machine makes great hash, easily. Set it and forget it, it mixes the perfect amount and time for you, and way easier on the arms. I used a paint mixer on a drill for a couple years, till I upgraded to the Bubblenow. Personally, I wont make bubblehash without it again. Slowing down your mixer some may help, but when mixing up the slurry, you want it to be a bit foamy at the top of the mix when you are done.

4) Try using mixing times to control quality. The shorter the mix, the less particulation, and the better hash. Try a 3 or 6 minute first run, then pull the bags, then run a second (or even third) time for longer (like 10-15min). You will see that each successive pull on the bags will yield more, but lesser quality hash. By the third run, the hash is usually what I call 'cooking quality'.

Hope that helps some, good luck.
YBG

naturallmystic
05-31-2010, 05:36 PM
YukonBikerGuy, I does indeed help and thank you so much. I do tend to have the habit of overdoing things.

Until I can pony up for a Bubblenow, which I expect I will in the end I will slow the drill down. Due to the voltage regulator I have I can slow it down to almost a 'hand stir' kind of speed. I will use your suggestion of shorter mixing times and more runs as well.

Any thoughts on wet versus cured herb?

Again thank you so much for your reply.

Green Supreme
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Without a Bubblenow and still gong for the best product I would hand mix. Very vigorously{making white bubbles}. Fresh material is said to make the meltiest hash. Good luck. Peace GS

naturallmystic
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
GreenSupreme thanks also for your input. After my last post I was thinking I may just try a hand mix. Since dry and cure isn't necessary next run I will do just that.

Thanks to you both Yukon and Green I do appreciate the help.