PDA

View Full Version : Female plant producing seed without male

aqualungs
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Hello, I have 3 plants on week 6 of flower under a 400w HPS they are all female and I had one male I removed at week 1 of flower. Here is my issue. Besides using tap water and having to adjust for that issue. 2 of the 3 plants are producing a couple seeds ( say 4-5 seeds per plant scattered on diff. buds.) There is no way I figure that they could have been pollinated and the seeds came from bagseed of an outdoor skunk crop.(2-3 seasons old) poss. sweet skunk ( looks identical). There is a diff. in the thickness of buds on these 2 plants either they are not packing on as much weight although I still have about 4 weeks left. Veg time was 6-7 weeks and they are about 4 feet high now and they were pinched and bent at 12 inches. I am growing organically with bio bizz line of nutes ( grow, bloom, top maxx). I think it may be due to the seed genetics/ how they were produce outside just random pollination. It's my first grow so I didn't want to buy seeds since I had a random 60 sitting around. I had major germination problems and the seeds that did germinate like half of the seeds popped but wouldnt emerge through the soil. Any one have any ideas?

EasyBakeIndica
06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Bagseed plants are notorious for self-pollinating (hermiphrodite) late in flowering. Generally, the outdoor commercial weed isn't pollinated with males (which are culled), but by hermi-females that are harder to see. This results in hermi-seeds. It's very hard to find a reliable female from bagseed.

Your germination problems are also due to the fact that they were bagseed. It's usually compressed and stored in a way that kills the seed. Seeds need to be stored in a cool, dry place to stay viable.

There's nothing wrong with growing some bagseed. Hopefully you got some decent smoke and learned a lot. In the future, any seeds you buy from a breeder are going to seem like a breeze!

aqualungs
06-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Still I thought it was kinda weird because I never seen any pollen sacs. But one plant out of the 3 has zero seeds so thats still good and will I still be able to smoke the 2 that have a few seeds, they have tons of crystals and calyxes. If they are hermis there are only a few seeds on the go they are just suffering in packing on the weight compared to the other.

EasyBakeIndica
06-26-2008, 08:41 PM
They're subtle...
http://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/maleflower31.jpg

aqualungs
06-26-2008, 09:26 PM
So should it still give me something decent to smoke even with a couple seeds on those 2 plants?

EasyBakeIndica
06-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Assuming it was decent weed that you got the seed from originally, yes ;-).

pineappaloupe
03-30-2010, 09:01 AM
I have been getting very minor hermi's on my schrom and sweet skunk. Sweet skunk is very sensitive to lighting, in veg I have to be careful about light in dark period, so I just veg on 24 hours now. I have seen full on nanners, but the pollen seems to mosly unviable, I have seen true males go to flower. The males flowers seem retarded, lacking that 4 or 5 sided cover to the nanner, that form a neat start shape when they open.
While trimming it is hard to find more than a dozen seeds on a 60g plant.... so I really don't worry.