PDA

View Full Version : Rookie looking for some Veteran guidance

thePricholas
08-01-2010, 03:04 PM
FMB,

I'm a rookie grower and I need help setting up and running my first grow. I'd be immensely appreciative if someone could lend me some guidance and help me through my it. I'm talking down to the basics. I know a little bit, but I'd prefer if I was led through it like I'm a short bus rider because I don't want to screw it up.

The space I was looking at is 3.5ft x 3.5ft in the attic. It's next to some large electrical equipment. Would that be a problem due to temperature or humidity concerns? I'll have to see what it actually is.

If anyone is interested in helping out a rookie send me a PM. Thanks FMB.

Green Supreme
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey man, attic grows can be a tough thing. Summer temps usually make it quite difficult. This electrical thing may further the issue if it gives off heat. If heat can be controlled I would recommend 1-1000 watt hps, if it cannot, you will have to use less. Shoot the questions and I will see what I can do. Peace GS

Evergreen
08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
YEa GS is right, fucking hot up there usually, I would use 2 400's or 1 600watt if the 1000w makes too much heat, also try to keep your ballast in another room if you can. Air cooling the light will be key here in helping keep the temps down. Do you have anywhere you can draw fresh air from?

Take temp readings up there throughout the day and night and that will give you an idea.

What kind of electrical equipment do you have, just like GS said, that can cause more problems.

You are going to need an inline fan for cooling the light, a rotating fan for circulating the air and a smaller inline fan for drawing in fresh air or "fresher" air from another room.

I would use sticky traps for the bugs and spray neem oil to prevent most pests.

you starting from seed or cone?

you might want to think about augmenting c02 up there as well, cause it seems like you are going to be in the lows 80's.
Where do you live? (state, area)

anyways this is just how I would do it

YukonBikerGuy
08-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, I concur. Heat will be the major issue in an attic grow. If you can control the tempature with either ventilation or active cooling, or a combination of both, you should be ok. Or wait till the heat of summer has passed.

The next important thing in a small space like that (you didn't really mention the height, but I assume short in an attic) is picking a suitable strain, 1 that will produce well in a small to medium sized plant without a lot of stretching during flowering. Usually that will mean a pure indica, or indica dominant hybrid.

Have you given any thought to what grow medium you will be using?
What about prepping the space? Cleaning, painting or hanging reflective wall coverings, setting up ventilation ect. Access for bringing equipment and supplies and water up and down. Anchor points for lamps, trellis', meters or any other equipment that will be installed. Did I mention cleaning? Tedious but important. IMO if you start with a nice clean (sterile if possible) grow space, you are more likely to make it through a cycle with less problems. Bleach is your friend here.

I'm sure GS and/or Evergreen can think of a few issues I have neglected to mention, but for now, I'm going back to the hash.....

Hope this helps,
YBG

thePricholas
08-01-2010, 10:44 PM
GS- The electrical thing I was referring to is actually part of the central air system. It doesn't feel noticeably hotter in the space, but I'm going to take some readings. Is this going to be a problem or do you think I can get past that?

Evergreen- I could draw fresher air from the room that this space is in. The space is essentially an electrical closet type thing in my roommate's room in the attic. I assume the air from his room would be sufficient. I'll take some temp readings tonight and tomorrow and see what I get. The attic has AC so overall it doesn't get too hot up there. I am planning on going from seeds. I don't know of anywhere in the area to get any good clones. I'm in Eastern Missouri.

YBG- The space is actually kinda tall. It's about 8ft tall and 3.5x3.5 for length and width. For that amount of space do you have any good recommendations on strains for a first time grower.
I was planning on using soil as the medium. Or do you think a rockwool/hydro would work better? I'm definitely going to have to take most of next weekend to clean and prep the area.
For anchor points I was picturing putting braces on the wall and hanging a board just below the ceiling so I don't have to screw or bolt anything into the actual ceiling.

Thanks dudes.