PDA

View Full Version : What Is An Elite Clone Worth?

Green Supreme
09-13-2010, 04:33 PM
OK so I got into an argument in a chat a few weeks ago bout how much an elite should cost if one was to buy it. I was telling them about Dr.Clone selling Sweet Skunk cuts. When they found out the price was $60/cut they lost it. I have been in the biz quite a while and do know that commercial cuts are about 5 bucks. That's for the same 'ol same 'ol. Now to me a $60 cut can become an unlimited amount of coin, especially if you find one that is not about locally. I have heard of folks paying 10G's for 1 cut, just to have it. It has always been interesting to me how folks can put a lower price on something they would have no access to otherwise. What do yous think? Peace GS

Bubbleman
09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I remember the days where people were paying LARGE for special cuts... most i heard was 5k i believe... and i think it may have been a Rom cut...

anyway now adays with the internet.. things are changing.. I mean sure if you are the only one that has it.. you get your price.. but now adays the good genetics aren't necesarrily like a tree anymore ( ie in one place only).. now adays things are more like blades of grass... they can pop up anywhere... you can mail these things all over the planet.. and some people are a little more willing to share.
now with that said.. if i wanted a special cut and had to pay 60 bucks for it.. i wouldnt consider to be such a huge cost.. to aquire genetics that wouldu otherwise be lost to you..

just my two cents..

thanks for starting the discussion GS

peace
Bubble man

Lapides
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I have never had to pay for an elite cut. For as long as I can remember, it's been a "pay it forward" type of thing.

IMO, that's the way it should be.

lepstadder
09-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Many growers seam to have a false sense of ownership when it comes to the herb they grow.

If it is developed specifically by the person who is naming the price and it is truly an original strain then it would not be outrages to want 60$

But lots of folks need to shed this pride and work together, instead of trying to essentially patent plant life like general electric and Monsanto, and keep a monopoly on genetics.

Razz
09-13-2010, 05:21 PM
no clone is worth more than 5 bucks to me.

Green Supreme
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Monsanto huh, sounds like a seed thing. I was just looking at apple cuts at a nursery. Pink Lady Pat $55. Hmm an apple, hey isn't that a legal crop. Peace GS

Bukket
09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I totally agree gs and bubs, I had the same arguement with a grower around here a few days ago. I would have no problem paying 60 dollars a clone that is guaranteed to be shipped alive to your door.
Especially with the strains theyve got Green crack Purple Kush Sweet skunt and jack

Lapides
09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I suppose if one is a complete noob to the grow scene, $60 isn't a bad price. But can one technically call the clone 'elite' if anyone get it?

I say fuck paying for clones and meet a couple good people willing to help you out.

Green Supreme
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Perhaps we can go your way Lapides and Bubbleman and you can get your good people on the net to send me Joe's Romulan cut. From what's been said here that should be no problem.Thanks all for your thoughts. Peace GS

kushkommander
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
roflmaoi...

Green Supreme
09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^PUSSY
Peace GS

Lapides
09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Perhaps we can go your way Lapides and Bubbleman and you can get your good people on the net to send me Joe's Romulan cut. From what's been said here that should be no problem.Thanks all for your thoughts. Peace GS

What exactly would be my motivation for this? To check on DrClones site in a couple months to see Joe's Rom cuts being sold for $70 a cut? Sorry, I think not.

If your heart is pure and your intentions are true, you will get what you are looking for....unless ya got 70 bux.

Green Supreme
09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
So just as I guessed you cannot get Joe's cut and your statement about the ease of finding with the net is flawed. For record you will find that I have never sold a cut out of my garden ever. Peeps that know me know that. Have given away hundreds, maybe even over a 1000. Accusation answered. Peace GS

dontstepongrass
09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
while $15/cut is the norm these days on the west coast, i don't think that $60/cut is THAT outrageous either.

bubblecrack
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Like Bubbleman said, not everything that was once "elite" can still be considered to be "elite" due to circulation. I'm not really interested in "elites". I'd way rather have something obscure or rare than "elite".

Green Supreme
09-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Good discussion. Thanks for your opinions folks.

OK numbers and hoarding type issues are clouding the topic. Let us put it this way. Sweet Skunk is an elite cut. Earned it, full on flavor and smell, yield is amazing and the buzz very memorable. Say we give this cut to every grower out there and she is dime a dozen now. Does she lose her status as an elite. I mean the only variable that has changed is her commonality. I think not, maybe yous can argue to the alternative.

f0urtwenty
09-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Reminds me of the glass market. Something is worth as much as one will pay for it. I've seen seed auctions for 12 seeds go at over $1500.

This ties in with strain hoarding- and why people do it. I think the price of a cut comes down to supply vs demand, marketing aka "tooting of ones horn" and of course the potential of the cuts commercial properties.

GS- i believe you are blurring the lines in verbage with the word 'elite' being used in place of the word 'limited'. Under the scenario you describe she would still be elite, just no longer limited. If i could buy a cut for $60 and then in a month be able to have 100s of my own, the price of cuts would rapidly decrease, followed shortly thereafter by the price of the flowers. Think of blue dream in california. I would consider it elite based on many of its qualities however the prices in the california medical scene reflect the availability of it. I think it's hard to not have hoarding in as part of the topic.

Green Supreme
09-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Well Sweet Skunk cuts can be bought, as we state in this thread, and have been since at least the beginning of this year. I only ever see it from 4 growers and the scenario you have described is totally possible. Yet only 4 in my area. Hmm. Peace GS

Razz
09-14-2010, 02:32 AM
so that means that gs will ship me this sweet skunk clone for free?

Melty_Melt_420
09-14-2010, 11:20 AM
having seen the various examples in real life I will say all factors are relative to the people involved.

I've found kindness goes a long long long long way to making most of these conditions nn existent

Green Supreme
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
OK so apparently it is needed for me to state this as folks keep asking me for cuts. I have NO GARDEN. Cuts won't happen. Peace GS

fullmeltbubble
09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
i think the main thing people forget is EVERY clone only strain at ONE point was a seed...When people complain about the price of seeds or clones they imo are being pretty greedy...some cat had to start beans grow them out take clones from every bean and find the "elite" clone...take any other industry the more "rare" and sought after stuff is ALWAYS more expensive...its all about supply and demand....but my advice to people looking for the next big thing is TO START SEEDS

aqualungs
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah this elite clone thing is getting outta hand anyways imo, I'm with FMB start seeds and find your next BIG THING. I'll do without an elite clone before I toss up to 10 G's for a cut of a plant. It is like everything else as well, there are some people that are willing to take things to an extreme which is what has been done with these "elite" cuts.

Green Supreme
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Name 5 seed companies that make stable enough genetics that I can trust when I buy their seed, that I am going to get what they advertise. I will say there is 0 out there now. Ahh the old days of stability. Peace GS

f0urtwenty
09-15-2010, 11:49 PM
topdawg. mota. mosca. chimera. djs.

also me. but i advertise that i have no idea what you'll get. :P

fullmeltbubble
09-16-2010, 02:08 AM
I think stability is not want you want when finding the next elite...what makes it "elite" is its different from every other bean or pheno in the plant imo

YukonBikerGuy
09-16-2010, 04:32 AM
I have personally know someone in my area that paid $5K for an elite Indica cut, brought up from the lower mainland of BC. The smoke from that line was a heavy yielder, very potent and tasty, and the fellow growing it was taking $50-70K a grow for a few years out of his space. I think it was $10,000 a month in fuel to keep the generators running, so he really didn't think the initial $5k was the big expense. But more that it was worth the gaurentee that his grows would be top quality.

I have sprouted many seeds, and my standards are high. The gems can be found in the seeds, but it takes a signifigant amount of commitment and dedication to not settle for a mother that is just 'good enuff' and keep sprouting seed after seed looking for the true gems. Of course it can be done, I have a few mothers I obtained exactly that way. But I have tried and ditched many many many potential candidates.

In general it takes me a year from the time I sprout a seed untill I have completed my screening process. Sprout the seed, grow the plant, retain several clones, flower the plant, then first evaluation. If it seems like it may meet flavor, potency, growth speed and structure standards with a little dialing in (or not) then it moves on to the small scale production run. Several of the clones all flowered together to get a feel for how it will behave as a mono crop and a chance to fine tune the plants requirements. After that cycle, I either keep the mom (rare), or flower out or kill it (most often). Its a lot of work to find the gems, and some people who realize that are willing to pay for somone else to put in all the effort.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
YBG

KONY
09-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Just cause you know someone that paid X amount of dollars for a clone, doesnt mean what they are worth. I totally agree on the work involved in finding a keeper, however If i charged one of my friends for a keeper i found, i'd wouldnt be suprised if they did the same to me.

Illegal or not, whatever work goes into finding a keeper.... its still just a plant. To charge someone more than 20$'s +shipping to take a cutting off of a plant that will just regrow in a few weeks??? You people and/or the people you deal with are greedy. Plain and simple... thats what this boils down to. Its ever more amusing cause you have all sort of reasons and rational to try to justify it and make excuses as to why people need to be greedy.

I'm not saying people can't make money.... that couldn't be further from what i'm trying to say.

Edit: fixin some numbers

Melty_Melt_420
09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
if everyone is going to impose their own personal relative take on the scenario let me add mine

<<<<<<<<<<<<< LOLZ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

UREAPWHATUSOW

cant say it any plainer than that

:P

and no its not a statement about ego its a statement that marijuana abides by the laws of relativity, most people do not

that is were the big disconnect lies

Melty_Melt_420
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
elite clone vs. elite canucks

DING DING DING

:

Green Supreme
09-16-2010, 05:14 PM
So only Canada has elites? I think you give the rest of the world too little credit. Peace GS

Green Supreme
09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Monsanto huh, sounds like a seed thing. I was just looking at apple cuts at a nursery. Pink Lady Pat $55. Hmm an apple, hey isn't that a legal crop. Peace GS

KONY back to this post way back. Peace GS

terribleone
09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
one of my (now ex) friends was gifted some cuts from me, said his friend needed some. i had quite a few moms at that point, so it wasnt a big deal. the next day i went by my friends house to see how he made out. he handed me 100$ .i was kinda bummed that he sold them when he got them for free,so i said " you didnt have to charge them 10$ a clone , they were supposed to be free" . he says "dont worry, i got 70 a piece for them. i took my 100$ said bye and never called him again.greed sucks

YukonBikerGuy
09-17-2010, 02:37 AM
....You people and/or the people you deal with are greedy. Plain and simple...

(Ok, maybe you didnt mean my post, but you did post right after me, so....)

Who and what are you talking about? Get off the glue. I never said I paid that much, or sold for that much. I did say the guy in my story who did was happy with his particular situation. Buyer and seller were both happy, but somehow you are not.

It's also nice how you instantly call my (or others') years of work 'greed' when I dont even sell clones, and also that you value those year's efforts to finding a gem at 'only' 20$.... I think you sound greedy... ask any craftsman to provide you with the fruits of several years of his labor of love at box store prices.... "I know it took you 2 years to carve that custom table and chair set Mr Carpenter/Carver, but I want it for the same price as the particle board set from China".... the term 'Lead Balloon' comes to mind.

What you want is seeds, right in your price range, and after all, "whatever work goes into finding a keeper.... its still just a plant", I believe is what you said. Packs of random-assed seeds on the Interweb start around $20 + shipping, just like you want, and then you can do the 'easy' process of finding your own 'gem' at bargin prices. Some of the 'better' seeds can cost a bit more I'm told, but it should still be 'easy' none the less.

For the record, I do not and have not sold clones to anyone, though I have shared some with friends who have renumerated in kind. Please do not ask me for any, none are available. Ever.

YBG