PDA

View Full Version : Moldy or mildewy starting material = moldy mildewy hash?

HumboldtSmoka420
10-06-2010, 01:47 AM
So I ran some moldy, mildewy, or a combination(?) bud yesterday and it came out really dark and kinda smells funny. The bud was starting to dry out and turn brown as well. I wore a gas mask when making it and am wondering if any of the bad stuff could have made it through into the hash? I didn't soak or dip the bud first, should I? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

Herbaloaf
10-06-2010, 02:51 AM
You should freeze the trim overnight to kill any of the mold/mildew. Some people put material in bucket with water to float the contaminents to the top. Then skim off any floating crap and do your run.Also, use fresh water and ice if you do a 2nd or 2rd run to keep it fresh.

If you didnt freeze, skim, or float your material it is possible some spores got in it. Thats all I got for info.

HumboldtSmoka420
10-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Yea I heard freezing killed it but wasnt sure. It will still physically be present though correct?

Herbaloaf
10-06-2010, 03:23 AM
It would def think some spores are physically in your bubble. If they are alive I dunno. Maybe spores got stuck to some gland heads, didnt float to the top, and containmenated your 190-25u bubble.

Mold spores are commonly, not always, 10-30 microns. Powdery mildew can be roughly from 102-13 microns. How did your 25u compared to 120 or 90ubag? Extra dark and smelly?

HumboldtSmoka420
10-06-2010, 04:54 AM
It would def think some spores are physically in your bubble. If they are alive I dunno. Maybe spores got stuck to some gland heads, didnt float to the top, and containmenated your 190-25u bubble.

Mold spores are commonly, not always, 10-30 microns. Powdery mildew can be roughly from 102-13 microns. How did your 25u compared to 120 or 90ubag? Extra dark and smelly?

Well you see I have a confession to make, I'm anti 25 micron bag! DOWN WITH THE 25 MICRON AKA HERNIA BAG LOL :snake: To me, its not worth the trouble I stop at 45 microns but use all the other bags.....is this good in this instance? Thanks for the responses by the way!

I got a pretty high yield and i do my mixing in a 20 gallon bucket then strain through a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out and the bags progessively higher in the bucket as to not touch each other. I will post pics soon as I get a chance.......hash is waiting on me to chop up lol........cant wait too long or it'll be hard :(

HumboldtSmoka420
10-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Think I could grind or break up the hash, submerge it in water, then only filter it through the bag that comes after what micron im doing. Say I submerge some 90 micron to remove mold..........i would filter through the 73 bag to make sure i didnt lose any..............think this would work? Dont wanna mess it up tho!

HumboldtSmoka420
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Couldnt I just freeze the hash now to kill the mold in it if any got through?

GanjaGuru
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
"[QUOTE=HumboldtSmoka420;70667]Well you see I have a confession to make, I'm anti 25 micron bag! DOWN WITH THE 25 MICRON AKA HERNIA BAG LOL :snake: "

agree...25 m(when used as directed) is lame..

funny story
I was doing work for a guy, making bubble....
and my girl, bless her heart always trying to help....
dropped the full 25m bag infront of the job boss.
she blushed in emberassment......thank god it wasn't 73m..few

anyway.....
what i do now is make the ice water hash, and collect the fullmelt.
Then I re set & viciously try and knock off all the trichs with only a work bag(220m) and the 25m as the sole collector.
Then I have a bunch of green kief basicly
And then I seperate the good from the bad...
By applying any method mentioned in the book Cannabis Alchemy.

Keeps waste hash down

Also When marijuana becomes moldy, or mildew contaminated it is then garbage. If your stupid enough...to smoke mold or mildew, or fucked up enough to try and sell that, or give it away....wow

and why is there mold/mildew anyway? not paying attention?
to much humidity
moisture?
strain contamination
etc?

Sounds like you need to fix that(mold mildew problem), learn about personal ethics(not harming yourself), medical/social responsibility(not hurting sick people), and throw your garbage where it belongs.

HumboldtSmoka420
10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
"[QUOTE=HumboldtSmoka420;70667]Well you see I have a confession to make, I'm anti 25 micron bag! DOWN WITH THE 25 MICRON AKA HERNIA BAG LOL :snake: "

funny story

anyway.....
Then I re set & viciously try and knock off all the trichs with only a work bag(220m) and the 25m as the sole collector.

Keeps waste hash down

Also When marijuana becomes moldy, or mildew contaminated it is then garbage. If your stupid enough...to smoke mold or mildew, or fucked up enough to try and sell that, or give it away....wow

to much humidity
moisture?
strain contamination
etc?

Sounds like you need to fix that(mold mildew problem), learn about personal ethics(not harming yourself), medical/social responsibility(not hurting sick people), and throw your garbage where it belongs.

WTF are you talking about? It's easy to get all the mold off the bud, its just one extra step and just to make sure I'm going to freeze the hash also even after doing this other step (freezing kills spores also). I was asked to do this for someone so they can recover lost costs or put old, bad shit to good use. IT WASN'T MY IDEA!
So before you assault someone by saying they have no ethics or medical and social responsibility GET ALL YOUR FACTS PLEASE!

And the ounces of hash I have extracted from this moldy weed say you dont know what you are talking about! It's widely known that its perfectly fine running moldy material as long as the proper precautions are taken.............so throw your moldy material in my trash please, I'll put it to good use!

Oh and you only use a 220 and a 25 micron bag? I bet that makes for some suck ass hash huh? :)

GanjaGuru
10-07-2010, 04:37 PM
touchy touchy...If you read....you would understand I collect the full melt after one short spin on the 73m. And set aside to dry. Then I do a destructor spin with the work bag, and only the 25m to catch all the trich, and a ton of plant material.

I THEN USE ONE OF THE METHODS MENTIONED IN "CANNABIS ALCHEMY"
and turn that "suck ass hash" into 90.0%+ (probably more like 98-99%) THC

So as i stand, Take care of the plants better. Put garbage in the trash....and you my friend.....get your facts together
:-) you smoke mold hash ha ha

Green Supreme
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
90.0%+ (probably more like 98-99%) THC

Teehee. You go girl. Peace GS

ps. 25 bag success is quite easy and the hash can be amazing. The jerk and pull method can found on the net. I have also seen a slow gentle side to side while pulling up on the bags work with little to no strain to the back

HumboldtSmoka420
10-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Lol, you need to get your facts together.......I am doing this for someone, it wasnt my material, I DID IT TO HELP! And let me tell you, you cant tell it was ever moldy now and the 90 and 73 micron are pretty melty plus the yield looks to be at least an HP off old moldy shit that would have been trash.
I bet you have never even seen 99% THC :)

So how many bags do you use anyways, just 2 or 3?

Oh yea and I'm touchy because you insulted me without even knowing what the hell you were talking about :mad:

And please go into some detail about this supposed 99% THC......probably BS

GreenSupreme - I agree about the 25u bag sometimes it is worth it, but I'll usually only do it if it is really good starting material you know? :)
Also, with the 25 bag i thump the bottom of the bag very gently and its easier than jerk and pull and works great after the bulk of the waters out

GanjaGuru
10-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Well

I don't know why you said "go girl" GS, but whatever...i am a dude though.....
anyways....

I cant say much, because it conflicts with the intrest of this site.

But there are terms I could maybe mention??

Non-Polar pull, 220deg oil bath/ whipping air.

That can even be taken further/made better still....through isomerization
Humboldt, i was rude.I'm sorry

HumboldtSmoka420
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Well

I don't know why you said "go girl" GS, but whatever...i am a dude though.....
anyways....

I cant say much, because it conflicts with the intrest of this site.

But there are terms I could maybe mention??

Non-Polar pull, 220deg oil bath/ whipping air.

That can even be taken further/made better still....through isomerization
Humboldt, i was rude.I'm sorry

Isomerization takes pretty much everything out except for THC right? You know pure THC isnt that great, it needs some of the other active compounds to give the full high effect and still taste decent which is why i like bubble hash. Sorry if I was rude, I just feel like you kind of assaulted me without having all the information since I ran this solely to help someone out (well I get a little out of it for doing it, but not like I need it at the moment) and I didnt even get the material until it was already moldy and nasty. Some of it had bud rot so I just threw that away because if I'm correct it can't be ran right?

bubblecrack
10-07-2010, 09:18 PM
"
Well you see I have a confession to make, I'm anti 25 micron bag! DOWN WITH THE 25 MICRON AKA HERNIA BAG LOL :snake: "

funny story

anyway.....

Keeps waste hash down

to much humidity
moisture?
strain contamination
etc?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/n1ghtbr1nger/Stuff/epic_picard_facepalm.jpg

http://www.bubblebag.com/faq/index.php

[quote]Can I make Bubble Herbal Extract with moldy plant matter?

YES. Bubble Man recommends an extra mold-removing step: place your herbal extract into a jar full of water with a tight-fitting lid and shake it up. The mold spores will float to the top and can be skimmed off with a spoon or turkey baster. Then, rinse the jar into the 25 micron bubble bag and press the moisture out as usual.

btw thc breaks down into other cannabinoids as it matures. maybe you should let your plants finish next time if you get such a high thc ratio ganjaguru

Herbaloaf
10-07-2010, 11:10 PM
^^^Good link and info bubblecrack. Learned something new :)

HumboldtSmoka420
10-08-2010, 12:38 AM
THANK YOU bubblecrack!!!! I knew bubbleman himself said you can run moldy material with no ill effects, just couldn't find a link! I just didnt do the jar thing because I had soooooo much to run, it would've taken me days using a gallon jar.

Oh yea and I used the 25 micron bag on this stuff in attempt to filter it more :)

GanjaGuru
10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Well guess who is wrong. I guess

Me...

I still prefer not to use mold or mildew material, but after reading for a while everyone except the real hash snobs say ice water extraction is fine, as the desired material sinks, and the mold/mildew float etc.........

A good idea? Probably better to try not to
Acceptable? Definatly more than making edibles.
So...Sorry

That being said.........

The quality and quantity of the THC is determined by the
quality and potency of the starting material. The final product from very strong cannabis material
contains a much higher percentage of THC than the final product from marijuana or hashish that is
less potent. The quality of the THC and the characteristics of the effect (high) are
determined by the relative positions of the double bonding in the THC molecule. The
higher-rotating forms are more potent than the low-rotating and produce a higher, more
psychedelic and spiritual effect. Methods for converting THC from low-to-high-rotating
follow.
The quantity of cannabidiol in the material is important, as it may be converted to THC,
thereby increasing the potency of the stuff proportionally. Experience has indicated that the
quantity of cannabidiol is usually at least equal to the quantity of THC. Because of this,
the strength of the material can be at least doubled through isomerization, and in some cases
potency may be increased five to six times.
By using the correct things and methods to convert the cannabidiol to THC, it is
possible simultaneously to convert the THC (that which occurs naturally in the stuff and
also that which has been produced from cannabidiol) to higher-rotating forms. The
highest benefit is obtained by starting with material high in cannabidiol, isomerizing the
cannabidiol to THC, and converting the THC to its higher-rotating form. Both the
potency of the stuff and the quality of the high are greatly increased.

~C.A

HumboldtSmoka420
10-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Me...

I still prefer not to use mold or mildew material, but after reading for a while everyone except the real hash snobs say ice water extraction is fine, as the desired material sinks, and the mold/mildew float etc.........

So...Sorry

That being said.........

quality and potency of the starting material. The final product from very strong cannabis material
contains a much higher percentage of THC than the final product from marijuana or hashish that is
less potent. The quality of the THC and the characteristics of the effect (high) are
determined by the relative positions of the double bonding in the THC molecule. The
higher-rotating forms are more potent than the low-rotating and produce a higher, more
psychedelic and spiritual effect. Methods for converting THC from low-to-high-rotating
follow.
The quantity of cannabidiol in the material is important, as it may be converted to THC,
thereby increasing the potency of the stuff proportionally. Experience has indicated that the
quantity of cannabidiol is usually at least equal to the quantity of THC. Because of this,
the strength of the material can be at least doubled through isomerization, and in some cases
By using the correct things and methods to convert the cannabidiol to THC, it is
possible simultaneously to convert the THC (that which occurs naturally in the stuff and
also that which has been produced from cannabidiol) to higher-rotating forms. The
highest benefit is obtained by starting with material high in cannabidiol, isomerizing the
cannabidiol to THC, and converting the THC to its higher-rotating form. Both the

~C.A

Dont get me wrong, if it was up to me I'd be using fresh frozen every time, but I also don't mind helping people out when they need it. I hated to see dude lose like at least 30 lbs of at least half buds half trim, so I offered to help him out to recover at least something. So if you had 30 lbs of moldy material would you throw it away? If so, thats pretty wasteful and I would hope you would at least give it away to someone who would use it.
Also, about isomerization............doesn't it get rid of everything but THC or almost? If so, no thank you I would rather have all the terpenes (that arent water soluble) and whatever the rest of the stuff is called that gives bubble hash its wonderful taste. Isomerization also seems like too much trouble, besides this bubble gets me pretty lifted already lol
If I want stronger, I'll just whip up some QWISO real quick or rosin is better.

Moldy bud is good for something!

bubblecrack
10-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Me...

So...Sorry

That being said.........

follow.

~C.A

cannabidiol has many different medicinal benefits. I don't see why anyone would want to convert that to thc. especially someone so concerned with "not hurting sick people"

HerbalToker
10-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Humboldt i linked you bubblemans moldyhash quote like a few days ago if you remember. And All im getting out of this entire thread, is that your fuckin crazy for not using a 25 micron bag... Thats pretty much Stupid imo. What are you doing flushing those glands down the toilet? why waste them? your takaing to time to make bubble right, spend an extra 5 minutes and get some 25 outta the whole thing lol.

Peace

GanjaGuru
10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
If i had 30lbs of popcorn, and trim I would do the same thing.
That's what I was trying to say.
At first I didn't agree, but now I do.
:beaver: < Look at me I'm a beaver

ha ha
I'm very high.....Og x Blueberry

Hey...Holy shit....you guys tried black domina??
Fuck that weed is the equivelent to xanax.
I smoke alot of extracts, and bubble, and that bud got me f-n ripped.
(and i think xanax is bad)

Like a dream all day.
Northern Lights, Ortega, Hash Plant and Afghani SA
That is the lineage. Whoaa....

HerbalToker
10-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I THEN USE ONE OF THE METHODS MENTIONED IN "CANNABIS ALCHEMY"
and turn that "suck ass hash" into 90.0%+ (probably more like 98-99%) THC

haha suck ass

HumboldtSmoka420
10-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Humboldt i linked you bubblemans moldyhash quote like a few days ago if you remember. And All im getting out of this entire thread, is that your fuckin crazy for not using a 25 micron bag... Thats pretty much Stupid imo. What are you doing flushing those glands down the toilet? why waste them? your takaing to time to make bubble right, spend an extra 5 minutes and get some 25 outta the whole thing lol.

Peace

Nah, I have since started using it but before yes pretty much throwing them out! I got tired of messing with the worst bag when the yield wasn't worth it. Now I'm using a 20 gallon work bag, so I get a ton more at a time so its worth it :)
Also, just tried a sieve drying method that makes my hash dry super fast, like 2 or 3 days usually :)
Yea I did forget about you linking me to that quote awhile back, I have CRS.........LOL

I saw some black domina the other day but didnt know it was that good! WOnder what the hash would be like :)

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 12:16 AM
If i had 30lbs of popcorn, and trim I would do the same thing.
That's what I was trying to say.
At first I didn't agree, but now I do.
:beaver: < Look at me I'm a beaver

ha ha
I'm very high.....Og x Blueberry

Hey...Holy shit....you guys tried black domina??
Fuck that weed is the equivelent to xanax.
I smoke alot of extracts, and bubble, and that bud got me f-n ripped.
(and i think xanax is bad)

Like a dream all day.
Northern Lights, Ortega, Hash Plant and Afghani SA
That is the lineage. Whoaa....

Dude I just found out this moldy starting material was from a strain called Black Ice..........its Black Domina crossed with Ice..........and its bomb shit! At first i thought this stuff wouldn't turn out that great but the 90 melts damn good and the 73 and 110 microns are pretty tasty as well! It was so purple when it first came out of the bags it was almost black! I will upload pics if anyone wants to see :)

GanjaGuru
10-09-2010, 04:15 PM
yea I saw some pictures and that shit is The Dawkness.

I mentioned the alchemical stuff as an alternative to garbaging the 25. I hate the 25 bag too, but I only have the 220,160,73,25.
If I had a 45 I might could give a shit too, but thats alot of potential in 25-72 span.

So I found if you empty a bottle of something into a jar.
Then add all my shitty hash in the crazy bubbling liquid.
Then strain, and pour over a mirror, or glass.
Center
And bring to 220deg while stirring
The resulting material is much better than the memory of throwing hash in the garbage. I also use this method on green/unflushed/or material ruined by one reaon or another.

If it's good trim I will only do ice water. But here is my problem.
In Humboldt weed for that matter doesn't cost shit.
And here a few hours south trim is hard to get.
And 101 sucks ass, and my only friends up north who have it are tweakers, and that sucks too.
And when they realized what I was doing with the trim, it is not around anymore, and the price skyrocketed.

So now I just have to wait for my own to grow, or until I feel like driving around crazy tweakers, and sitting in the middle of no where for hours.

You are lucky if you are indeed in Humboldt.

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey man!
Yea I havent paid for trim yet, i promise! Well, twice from the dispensary but thats just because it was dank as hell and maui waui so it made some badass ISO oil. Hey man, go here if you want to see all my pics from extractions............u should be able to tell from these I'm in Humboldt :) Theres some pics of that Black Ice moldy material run in there as well, its the really dark stuff :)

http://s920.photobucket.com/home/HumboldtSmoka420/index

And believe me I know I'm pretty lucky to be here, I moved from a non-medical state! One of my friends did 2 weeks in jail over a little bitty roach!

GanjaGuru
10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Yea, We smoke in a similar fashion.
I hate buying trim from the club. $100 lb and they act like I got a big favor.
My people in your area do a safeway bag for 50 and a garbage bag for 100.
But this of course is seasonal, and at the hands of extremly spun people.(ugh)

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Yea, We smoke in a similar fashion.
I hate buying trim from the club. $100 lb and they act like I got a big favor.
My people in your area do a safeway bag for 50 and a garbage bag for 100.
But this of course is seasonal, and at the hands of extremly spun people.(ugh)

Garbage bag for 100? Hell yea, buy that shit! Wait what size garbage bag lol? Our local club charges $15 for half an oz of trim, but it always has good high quality nugs and dank crystally trim and made fire bubble hash and iso.
Thats just too much $ though, screw that :)

GanjaGuru
10-09-2010, 11:08 PM
just got a lb of indoor popcorn!!!! For 100$

Working on batch 2!!!!

Melted wet so I'm excited about trying it dry.

HumboldtSmoka420
10-10-2010, 12:14 AM
just got a lb of indoor popcorn!!!! For 100$

Working on batch 2!!!!

Melted wet so I'm excited about trying it dry.

Cool, when it dries post up some pics man! What strain?

GanjaGuru
10-10-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=175&pictureid=2027

I only ran half. But if you didn't notice from my being unable to respond the rest of the day, It is good. Melts good.

Strain looks like grape ape, or something purple and fluffy(unknown)
This batch was 75%^ and 25% Green Crack(Good G.C.)
More on the way.

HumboldtSmoka420
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Man that looks dank! How many runs did u do on the material? The trainwreck I just got done with looks good, but we'll see!

GanjaGuru
10-11-2010, 02:34 AM
I ran 1/2 of the lb. Maybe less. And I hit it 2x. With a hand held egg beater. Thinking about trying the wooden spoon on a power drill method soon.

Anyways.

I keep the first pull all seperated in there own micron.
The second run, i keep the 73 alone, and mix the 25 & 160.

I have the boldt bags 220,160,73,25
I want a 45.

HumboldtSmoka420
10-11-2010, 03:12 AM
I have been using a Boldt Bags 20 gallon 220 micron work bag with my 5 gallon set, they dont look to be too high of quality :(
Its cool, they're not mine so I'm giving them back and getting a 20 gallon bubble now soon :)

How big of an improvement in quality and yield can I expect with a Bubblenow? Anyone done any comparisons?

GanjaGuru
10-11-2010, 06:18 AM
you still need bubble bags with the bubblenow. I was talking to a rep for a bag company the other day and she said great results came from a wooden spoon in the place of a paint mixing attachment.

Also the "over and under" style paint mixing attachment.

but what ever.......
bottom line is this...only so much trichs to knock off, after that it's plant material. making it suck ass and not melt.

anyways....
Boldt bags have rigid sides. And good screens. What is not quality??

Ever tried bubble bags? Those are suck ass.

neways....i'm over this thread

HumboldtSmoka420
10-11-2010, 08:01 AM
you still need bubble bags with the bubblenow. I was talking to a rep for a bag company the other day and she said great results came from a wooden spoon in the place of a paint mixing attachment.

Also the "over and under" style paint mixing attachment.

but what ever.......
bottom line is this...only so much trichs to knock off, after that it's plant material. making it suck ass and not melt.

anyways....

Yea I've been using a wooden spoon since I started making hash, just started using the kind of attachment u are talking about with a drill when the volume increased and I got that 20 gallon bag.
And to me, quality would increase with a bubblenow at least because nothing but ice comes in contact with the material...........less plant matter in final product. Also, you don't have to wait for the mix to settle which would be a big time saver.
Oh and its the stitching that sucks on the Boldt bags, at least it does on the 220 and they just look and feel cheaper made than bubble bags and I have used a few brands of bags to me the best are bubblebags if you have the money.

bubblecrack
10-14-2010, 09:03 PM
anyways....

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/64/gorillaneg1.gif

HumboldtSmoka420
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/64/gorillaneg1.gif

For real! I have pics of them if I need to post them............I'm borrowing a 3 bag 20 gallon set of Boldt Bags and wont be buying them :pipe:
They are decent however :pukers:

GanjaGuru
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
First we must discuss the collection of your sugar leaf. This is where many people fall short, mainly because of the way the product is marketed. While your bubble bags may turn trash to stash, if you want Full Melt Clear Dome Bubble Hash, take care when collecting your leaf material. I treat mine virtually like a food-grade ingredient. If I had bugs or mildew or even just a not-perfect harvest, I simply won't make bubble with that type of material. ~Subcool