PDA

View Full Version : To press or not to press.......that is the question!

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Just wondering what are some of the strong points of each? I know everyone is pretty much biased towards unpressed, I just figured its time to start a thread about the positives and negatives of each.

Green Supreme
10-09-2010, 07:58 AM
As powder, if you want to press you can but once pressed hard to get back to powder. Personally I dig watching a pile of powder turn into a puddle. Peace GS

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
As powder, if you want to press you can but once pressed hard to get back to powder. Personally I dig watching a pile of powder turn into a puddle. Peace GS

True, but doesnt pressing change the flavor and does it ever make it more bubbly or make something that barely bubbles bubble more?

Green Supreme
10-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Sounds like a 3 dressed up as a 9. Peace GS

lepstadder
10-09-2010, 02:43 PM
if a six turned out to be nine, i dont mind

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 03:45 PM
LOL..............so seriously, can anyone provide some strong points of pressed hash?? Anyone?

Bubbleman
10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Well if you read Robert Clarke Connel's HASHISH.. you can find some pretty interesting stuff.. but unfortunately it relates to third world imported hash.. something we aren't often discussing in here.
Yes if you press lower quality hash ( Compared to what were making).. you can increase the THC percentage thru decaroboxylation. However i dont find this to increase potency at all with Bubble. I will admit you can dress up a 6 and make it look like a 9.. by pressing certain bubbles.. however with that said.. the major plus i see with powdered hash. is that it burns unlike pressed hash> You can take a hit of powdered bubble and have it instantly burst into smoke.. where as pressed hash tends to simmer and smoke. you just can't get that same awesome hit from a pressed piece.
Also pressing came into play in the smoking world for two main reasons as far as i can see..... Transport... and Adulteration... two things i have no interest in doing with my hash. I dont mind transporting a bit.. but i can do that in powder...

My two cents..
nice discusion.. be nice to hear some other valid points from members..

Bubble man

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Well if you read Robert Clarke Connel's HASHISH.. you can find some pretty interesting stuff.. but unfortunately it relates to third world imported hash.. something we aren't often discussing in here.
Yes if you press lower quality hash ( Compared to what were making).. you can increase the THC percentage thru decaroboxylation. However i dont find this to increase potency at all with Bubble. I will admit you can dress up a 6 and make it look like a 9.. by pressing certain bubbles.. however with that said.. the major plus i see with powdered hash. is that it burns unlike pressed hash> You can take a hit of powdered bubble and have it instantly burst into smoke.. where as pressed hash tends to simmer and smoke. you just can't get that same awesome hit from a pressed piece.
Also pressing came into play in the smoking world for two main reasons as far as i can see..... Transport... and Adulteration... two things i have no interest in doing with my hash. I dont mind transporting a bit.. but i can do that in powder...

My two cents..
nice discusion.. be nice to hear some other valid points from members..

Bubble man

Is it true that pressing changes the flavor a little? If so, how does it change? Also, I assume it would be easier to roll a hash joint if it were heated and pressed as opposed to just hand formed correct?
Doesn't pressed hash take longer to degrade than unpressed?

GanjaGuru
10-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I like that guy^

He reads, and has good info.
Nice

Pressing transforms the material chemically and physically. The glands are warmed and some are broken. Some of the terpenes are released in this process and as pressed hash ages the terpenes dissipate giving less flavor.
The decarboxylation process definatly helps by removing the carbonate molecule with the mild heat typicaly used. Called potentiating or changing from THC-A to THC.

Bottom line pressing ruptures some glands, and ruptured glads deteriorate faster, and have less flavor than those left intact.
(a conglomeration of Ed Rosenthals opinions in Trash to Stash^)

I love the 9lb hash neclace in M.H.I/O M.Growers Bible

Bubbleman
10-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Well in regards to presing changing the flavor a bit... i find it changes the actual HIT.. and how the smoke goes in.. more than the flavour itself..However with that said.. when discussing third world import hash.. this would be quite accurate.. The fresh hash tastes very differently from their pressed and cured hash.
Remember the Tastes are basicaly volatile oils that are evaporating over the lifetime of the hash. So the more you lose the more you change your overall flavor/taste.
I have smoked some 15 year old fullmelt dry sift in amsterdam over the years.. ( some of you have seen the pictures).. and i can attest the terpenes were literaly non present.. and the taste was very stale.. however the high was still incredible . Even without the modulation of the terpenes> the only difference i found was that the high came on in a creeper sort of way over five minutes or so.
It would be much easier to roll a hash joint with pressed hash yes. My friend out east rolls them in pure hash... flattens out the hash and basicaly rolls it around a toothpick ,puls out the toothpick and voila perfect hash joint..
let me see if i can find a picture in my gallery to put up here..

Inregards to pressed.. pressed heads are going to degrade faster yes.. but only those on the outside of the hash>( a pressed block) the inside heads even though pressed.. are not going to be exposed to light or air.. and thus maintain a lot of their flavour and potency. You can see this when opening a block of well cure hash.. the outside is often a different shade than the inside.
With high grade fullmelt bubble or dry sift.. i can't really say as those who have decent amounts and want to save it for long periods will often keep it sealed in nitrogen with the air removed.

a few more cents

Bubble man

GanjaGuru
10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
i love this website

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Well in regards to presing changing the flavor a bit... i find it changes the actual HIT.. and how the smoke goes in.. more than the flavour itself..However with that said.. when discussing third world import hash.. this would be quite accurate.. The fresh hash tastes very differently from their pressed and cured hash.
Remember the Tastes are basicaly volatile oils that are evaporating over the lifetime of the hash. So the more you lose the more you change your overall flavor/taste.
I have smoked some 15 year old fullmelt dry sift in amsterdam over the years.. ( some of you have seen the pictures).. and i can attest the terpenes were literaly non present.. and the taste was very stale.. however the high was still incredible . Even without the modulation of the terpenes> the only difference i found was that the high came on in a creeper sort of way over five minutes or so.
It would be much easier to roll a hash joint with pressed hash yes. My friend out east rolls them in pure hash... flattens out the hash and basicaly rolls it around a toothpick ,puls out the toothpick and voila perfect hash joint..
let me see if i can find a picture in my gallery to put up here..

Inregards to pressed.. pressed heads are going to degrade faster yes.. but only those on the outside of the hash>( a pressed block) the inside heads even though pressed.. are not going to be exposed to light or air.. and thus maintain a lot of their flavour and potency. You can see this when opening a block of well cure hash.. the outside is often a different shade than the inside.
With high grade fullmelt bubble or dry sift.. i can't really say as those who have decent amounts and want to save it for long periods will often keep it sealed in nitrogen with the air removed.

a few more cents

Bubble man

15 year old full melt? Thats insane! Did it still have any color left and was it sticky still?

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/HumboldtSmoka420/TheMadHasher%20Medical%20Marijuana%20Pics/Oct062010092.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/HumboldtSmoka420/TheMadHasher%20Medical%20Marijuana%20Pics/Oct062010088.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/HumboldtSmoka420/TheMadHasher%20Medical%20Marijuana%20Pics/Oct062010095.jpg

Like this? :)
3.5 gram piece with just a little bud inside!
Does this mean that the inner heads will keep fresh longer when pressed? what about hand pressing and not heating, think that would be a way to store it longer and keep the heads intact without damaging too many of them?

Green Supreme
10-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Kinda like that, but more like this. I believe they weighed a gram each when new. Peace GS

http://fullmeltbubble.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61&highlight=hash+joint

Bubbleman
10-09-2010, 07:25 PM
hey GS.. thanks for putting that up.. i totaly spaced on finding the hash joint picture lol..

Bubble man

HumboldtSmoka420
10-09-2010, 10:43 PM
That looks bomb! Mine lasted FOREVER! Wish we could match one some day :)

GanjaGuru
10-09-2010, 11:11 PM
What micron hash do you people use? I imagine real melty stuff wouldn't work.

?

HumboldtSmoka420
10-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Yea probably not unless it was frozen after rolling............. :)
I used 160 micron on that one though, worked like a charm!

Bubbleman
10-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Here is the photo i was looking for earlier... you can view the article i found it in here

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/4535.html

peace
Bubble man

HumboldtSmoka420
10-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Here is the photo i was looking for earlier... you can view the article i found it in here

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/4535.html

peace
Bubble man

You and your beautiful backgrounds...........that looks awesome!

HumboldtSmoka420
10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Is pressed hash higher in THC due to decarboxylation? It should be huh?

AlexParadis
05-03-2011, 11:52 PM
in my opinion it's not hash if its not pressed. i get a more intense rush with unpress trichome because it vaporize very fast . I can say that i prefer to press it because hashish is so beautiful compare to trichome and you can roll it into a wire shape and smoke it like an encens by itself with no tools.

05-09-2011, 08:38 AM
dont press it. chop it up fine so it dries properly. If you wanna press it press it together before you smoke it. my 2 cents 777