PDA

View Full Version : Is 400 watts too much for my 2'x2' closet? Thanks!

18dummy
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Yo,

While the recommended growing area for this light system (http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Digital-Greenhouse-Ultimate-400-watt-HPS-&-MH-Grow-Light.asp) is 3'x3' to 5'x5', I was wondering if it would be safe for me to put in my 2'x2.5' closet. Other than having a fan running at all times in the closet, it will not have outstanding ventilation. I really don't wanna have to drop to the 250 watt level, but I also don't want to burn my apartment down. All help would be appreciated.

P.S. - Has anybody had any experience with that light system? Thoughts?

Much love

Razz
01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
i'd do it.....but, then again.....what the fuck do i know.......

YukonBikerGuy
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Circulating the air inside the closet will not be sufficient, neither to remove heat, nor provide fresh air for the plants. In that space, I would think that a 400W lamp set would make way too much heat to be contained that way, even if the balast is located outside the closet. If you can get some hot air exhausting up at/near the top of the space (preferably above the light), and some fresh air comming in at/near the bottom, your grow space will be much happier for the airflow, and it will be much easier to maintain a decent temp.

Exceptionally tall closets can sometimes use bigger lamp sets without ventilation, by utilizing a big dead air space at the top as a place for hot air to gather, up away from the plants. This obviously has its limits.

If your closet has 1 or more outside walls (the outdoors is on the other side) and you live in a cool or cold climate (say Canada in the winter) then you may get the benifit of some free cooling action that will enable a bigger lamp set in the space. But it may also mean that you need heating in the dark period so the plants dont become chilled, or that in warmer seasons exposure to sunlight directly on the outside wall may raise temps during the light cycle to unacceptable levels in the space.

IMO, adequate ventilation/air exchange is key to a healthy grow, and the easiest way to deal with heat issues. Add it if you can.

YBG

Razz
01-25-2011, 12:43 AM
oh yeah...i forgot about the heat.....

18dummy
01-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Circulating the air inside the closet will not be sufficient, neither to remove heat, nor provide fresh air for the plants. In that space, I would think that a 400W lamp set would make way too much heat to be contained that way, even if the balast is located outside the closet. If you can get some hot air exhausting up at/near the top of the space (preferably above the light), and some fresh air comming in at/near the bottom, your grow space will be much happier for the airflow, and it will be much easier to maintain a decent temp.

Exceptionally tall closets can sometimes use bigger lamp sets without ventilation, by utilizing a big dead air space at the top as a place for hot air to gather, up away from the plants. This obviously has its limits.

If your closet has 1 or more outside walls (the outdoors is on the other side) and you live in a cool or cold climate (say Canada in the winter) then you may get the benifit of some free cooling action that will enable a bigger lamp set in the space. But it may also mean that you need heating in the dark period so the plants dont become chilled, or that in warmer seasons exposure to sunlight directly on the outside wall may raise temps during the light cycle to unacceptable levels in the space.

IMO, adequate ventilation/air exchange is key to a healthy grow, and the easiest way to deal with heat issues. Add it if you can.

YBG

Thanks for the input. Maybe if I leave the closet door open when the light is running, along with running some fans to direct the heat upward, the heat could be controlled better.

sicjrfan8
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
yes 400 watt will work perfectly fine as long as you can keep it under 80 and have the closet cracked for the fan to vent out. for your grow prob just a foot. keep the fans going and a thermometer handy and you will be fine.

aqualungs
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
You can do it!

TheTrichomeKid
01-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I would think you would have heat problems with a 400w in a 2x2 space without going with a air cooled hood. A 250w light system should work great for that area.

I run a 400w HPS in an air cooled hood in my 2x2 tent and my temps get no higher than 81-82 (averages about 79-80 during the day). To get these temps I am running a 4" vortex fan for exhaust, I had a simple inline 150cfm at first and my temps were up in the high 90s.

18dummy
01-27-2011, 03:14 AM
I would think you would have heat problems with a 400w in a 2x2 space without going with a air cooled hood. A 250w light system should work great for that area.

I run a 400w HPS in an air cooled hood in my 2x2 tent and my temps get no higher than 81-82 (averages about 79-80 during the day). To get these temps I am running a 4" vortex fan for exhaust, I had a simple inline 150cfm at first and my temps were up in the high 90s.

Thanks. I just ordered a 250 watt instead of 400, I think it's my best option.

TheTrichomeKid
01-27-2011, 04:25 AM
No problem, have fun!

etncrew
02-04-2011, 03:57 AM
i run a 600 in a 3x3 but im awesome like that

SmokinErb
07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I never understood why people skimped on ventilation... I'd skimp on lighting before I skimped on ventilation.

salad931
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
http://boards.cannabis.com/closet-cabinet-growing/52326-lovely-ladies.html

thought id jus send taht cuz hes workin with a 400w, but explains how easy it is to get similar yields with a 150w, 250w, cfls whatever, just thought it was worht a look for any small grow

Babbabud
07-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I would have air cooled the 400 and rocked that little space....