PDA

View Full Version : Partial Melt in 2nd wash only?

Bubbletf120
10-12-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm new to this forum and new to making hash but I've been reading these forums as much as I can trying to learn the best methods. I am using: a 5 bag set (220 work bag, 160, 90, 73, 25), (2) 5 gallon buckets, nicely chopped fairly fresh trim (mostly popcorn nuggets and smaller stuff, no big fans or stems) frozen for at least 24 hours, and plenty of ice. I have a plastic paint stirrer meant for a drill that I use by hand for stirring the first wash, by hand with a bit more force for the 2nd wash, and using the drill for any washes after that. My first three washes I stir for 3-5 min, then 5-8 min, and for the 3rd 10-12min. I have a few questions that I would love some input on. By the way thanks for running this site and thanks to all the posters.

My first question is in the subject line. Right now I am only getting partial melt and only in the 90 and 73 and maybe a little bit in the 25 during my 2nd wash, not in the 1st or 3rd. Why is that?

If you don't mind I have a couple more... What are some typical full yield weights per ounce of trim?

Will hash only partially melt or not melt at all before being cured properly and then melt after? What is the best way to cure ice water extraction hash?

Finally... My process from the time I pull the bags to smoking it has been this: scrape from bag, press water out in pressing screen, break up as much as possible by hand and put on cardboard in separate piles, let dry at least 24 hours. Now I have probably been inpatient but I have been smoking it not long after 24 hours and it seems fine but please....school me. Sorry for the marathon post but I am a curious newb.

Juicepuddle
10-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Genetics and starting material are most crucial when it comes to weather or not your hash will melt, half melt, or fullmelt. I am sure people will need to know more about your process, how long you wash etc, all I can tell you is the bud your using either does not produce fullmelt, or your method needs tweaking, shorter wash maybe? Others will most likely know, goodluck!

YukonBikerGuy
10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
The process is fully described several times in these forums. try post#4 here:
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7318

Dont 'press water out' with the 'pressing screen'. (told you thats a bad name Bubbleman, hah) You are trapping water inside your hash. I myself call it a 'wicking screen', and use it as such. Never, ever, press wet hash.

You should be using a knife or maybe a credit card to chop up the wet hash patties, which should feather apart like wet sand. 24 hours is not dry. Pressed as you have, the outside may be a bit dry, but water will still be inside the hash. I would be lying if I said I had never sampled hash too early and wet. These days however, I tend to wait until its fully dry. Smoking wet hash confuses some people into thinking they have awesome hash because it looks sticky and wet to the touch... because it is wet. It can sizzle and pop, no, not a sign of potencey, but can be a sign of water.

Particulate is the enemy of good melty hash. If you break up your starting material before you even start to stir, you are already diluting your hash. The longer, and more vigorously you stir the batch, the more particulate gets into the final product. Thats why short washes typically produce the better hashes. Gentler stirring methods also help produce better hash. I used a paint stirrer and a power drill for a long time before I wized up.

Stirring methods, worst to first: Paint mixer and drill, cake mixer, Bubblenow machine, hand stirred with wooden spoons

The Bubblenow by far makes the best hash with the least effort, imo.

Strain matters to melt. Some will, some wont.
Be kind to and careful with your trim. Close frosty trim is the best for hashmaking. If you throw in the big sun leaves, and some of the medium leaves with barely any frost into the batch, you are adding a lot of plant material for not much collectable resin. Keep the lesser trim out. Dont break it up before mixing, the mixing will be enough. Larger buds may need to be broken up a bit to improve yield, but quality instantly goes down.

Fresh, frozen trim makes the best hash, imo. Best chance for melt if yer gonna get it. Lower yield than dry trim, but better hash.

In the concentrate game, its almost always the same trade off. Yield vs quality. If you want the very best, there wont be as much of it. If you want the most, it wont be as good.

Hope this helps some.

YBG